R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-18-2003, 11:31 AM   #2731
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to serpentracer1

InitialD How much wear are you getting using the 66mm/62mm.Ive got my car and Im going to set it up 47/22 -18 and than put a 25 on the front layshaft for a 2.5% overdrive to the front and run 63 mm tires front and rear Im going to be running a technical track so Im going to try a bit of front overdrive
serpentracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 02:55 PM   #2732
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by serpentracer1
InitialD How much wear are you getting using the 66mm/62mm.Ive got my car and Im going to set it up 47/22 -18 and than put a 25 on the front layshaft for a 2.5% overdrive to the front and run 63 mm tires front and rear Im going to be running a technical track so Im going to try a bit of front overdrive
serpentracer1, yes you are right about the 2.5% overdrive At least you got that right I found that using a 4 mm split on a 47/22/18/24 pulley combo gives a close even wear front and rear. I end up about 3 mm split at the end of the day's run.

Yes, using 18T rear side pulley and a 25T front side pulley from the 1/8th scale will create a very small front overdrive which is merely about 1.5 to 2 mm worth of split. The thing I forsee is the belting. I have not tried the 25T yet. Have you checked to see if the stock 360 mm side belt is too tight for this pulley? Also you need to watch on the front belting and 16T pulley because using front overdrive strains the front drive train a little.

Did you resort to this method because the 17T side pulley (801252) and the 23T (808228) front side pulley not being avaliable at your place? However, this combo will give you a slightly more overdrive which is about 3 to 3.5 mm worth of split which is equal to 5% front overdrive using 63 mm front and rear tires.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I actually did not realise that the 25T, 18T, 22T and 47T pulley combo will give a slight front overdrive while still giving you better acceleration.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 03:06 PM   #2733
Tech Prophet

Default Re: new external adjustable Diff. for 705

[QUOTE]Originally posted by taz5176
[B]hi guys, juz found this in tsn 705 forum, maybe most of u guys hv already found out this new diff
http://www.mytsn.com/forums/forum.as...8283&lo=1&sm=0

You're the man That was quick. Hey, taz, do you work for Serpent? Nice to know that Serpent kept their bargain and already have it by August (crossing fingers ).

Quote:
Originally posted by taz5176
picture:
http://www.mytsn.com/forums/image.aspi?fiid=38419
(sorry, i duno how to post pics, im a computer idiot! lol)
Well, I don't think you are. Most of us will not know how to link pictures from mytsn. They are not direct links to JPG or GIF picture format files where it will come out automatically in the forum.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:16 PM   #2734
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine
Thumbs down Serpentracer1/InitialD

The 25 pully will stretch the belt too far!
Slotmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 12:19 AM   #2735
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Nice combo you got there "D" ,, I notice the change in my car inmediatley with the RD Logics ,, But be carefull ,, stay away from the boards, that stinger wouldn't resist any little touch by a board

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70501.jpg (12.7 KB, 100 views)
paulfitipauldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 12:23 AM   #2736
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
Yes. I'll definately be using it at the Euros. And I'll be using a couple of other new parts also that should give the car better durability and strength.

I might even be using the laydown steering servo conversion also. But I will definately be using a single piece front solid axle with dogbones as one. Will be made out of steel and only a fraction the size of the current Serpent solid axle. The pulley will also be bolted on instead of held by rubber o-ring (using a Yokomo front pulley)
Laydown steering servo??,, ,,come on man don't leave us like that,, It's friday night ,, Some pics pleaseeee!!
paulfitipauldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 04:40 PM   #2737
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to serpentracer1

Slot in response about the belt being to tight thier is a fix for that.since the front belt on the car tends to get lose really quick on the car in order to get it tight again you have to shim the front of the layshaft carrier only the front 2 screws(this tilts the carrier to the rear of the car than in turn tightens the front belt back up while at the same time giving some more play to the side belts allowing you to use the 25 on the layshaft without added stress to the belt.Alot of the guys running the 1/8 scales will do the same thing to get the front belt tighter and than they have to reposition the belt tensioner cause of the play that it brings to the sidebelt.
serpentracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 07:28 PM   #2738
Tech Regular

I use the adjustable mid-shaft holder from wolfpack on my impulse. It really takes the slop out of the belt. I was wondering if anyone has tried it on the 705.
jbackslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 07:04 PM   #2739
bt
Tech Adept

Default bearings

has anyone ever setup another bearing (radial) in the centax as a replacement for the thrust bearing as i believe it has been done.
bt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 07:51 PM   #2740
Tech Master

Quote:
Slot in response about the belt being to tight thier is a fix for that.since the front belt on the car tends to get lose really quick on the car in order to get it tight again you have to shim the front of the layshaft carrier only the front 2 screws(this tilts the carrier to the rear of the car than in turn tightens the front belt back up while at the same time giving some more play to the side belts allowing you to use the 25 on the layshaft without added stress to the belt.Alot of the guys running the 1/8 scales will do the same thing to get the front belt tighter and than they have to reposition the belt tensioner cause of the play that it brings to the sidebelt.
Or another easier method would be to use the Yokomo side belt. It appears to be a tooth more (but it is looser and the same pitch for definate and it works) but I havent counted them at all. Never seen the need to.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 07:57 PM   #2741
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Serpentracer1/InitialD

Quote:
Originally posted by Slotmachine
The 25 pully will stretch the belt too far!
Slotmachine, I think I mentioned this to Serpentracer1 in my reply

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Have you checked to see if the stock 360 mm side belt is too tight for this pulley?
Old 07-20-2003, 08:05 PM   #2742
Tech Prophet

Default Re: bearings

Quote:
Originally posted by bt
has anyone ever setup another bearing (radial) in the centax as a replacement for the thrust bearing as i believe it has been done.
I think this has been done before. A lot of people have been doing that on the contrary as they say the normal radial bearings is cheaper and easier to get.

On the older Centax thrust bearing, it was hard finding a normal radial bearing which is the same size as the 4 mm Centax thrust bearing. With the new Centax II that uses 5 mm (incidently the same thrust bearing as used on the Mugen Centax), it is easier to replace the thrust bearing with a normal radial bearing. It is actually the same size as the smaller bearing (not the purple rubber shielded one) of the two used in the Centax II. I believe the size is 5 x 10 x 4.

Notwithstanding the above, Serpent says that you should not do it. Any engineer who knows their stuff will tell you also that you need a thrust bearing because of the axial thrust load. I think this was discussed at length on the Serpent 950 forum at mytsn.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:07 PM   #2743
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by jbackslash
I use the adjustable mid-shaft holder from wolfpack on my impulse. It really takes the slop out of the belt. I was wondering if anyone has tried it on the 705.
I would think you can as the front end of the 705 is almost the same (99%) as Impulse.

The thing about the Wolfpack mid bearing block is that when it tensions the front belt, the mid side belt becomes loose.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:14 PM   #2744
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Yup, those were the things we did in the old days to prevent the front belt from skipping Did you come from the Serpent Impulse thread on the non-HPI forum? I thought your nick sounded familiar.

Talking about giving tension to the front belt, nowadays, I don't see a need to do it by putting shims under the front mid bearing block. For me, the front belt has never slacked even after prolonged use. It still gives good tension.

But no doubt, the idea of using the same side belt with the 25T front side pulley and at the same time tensioning the front belt by tilting the mid bearing block towards the rear is an excellent one
Old 07-20-2003, 08:25 PM   #2745
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by paulfitipauldi
Nice combo you got there "D" ,, I notice the change in my car inmediatley with the RD Logics ,, But be carefull ,, stay away from the boards, that stinger wouldn't resist any little touch by a board

Yes, I know the stinger is a little too long... Learned that previously from the other many pipes

What I do (and I'm sure many others too) is to put epoxy / JB weld type compound behind the stinger so as to support the stinger from crushing sideways into the pipe. It has worked well for me so far

Also, I think the .15 RD Logics pipe is much stronger (not to mention fatter) than the .12 versions. So strenght wise, it does not have a problem. Comparable to the Novarossi ones.