R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-18-2003, 12:52 AM   #2716
Tech Prophet

Looks likely your HSN... Then again, no harm trying to tune the engine from the basics. That way, you'll know you've set the carb needles right. This is because once you touch the HSN, your LSN will be affected.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 12:58 AM   #2717
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

I see!

I did reset my carb settings not long ago and then found I had to set the HSN due to the engine running a little lean - I hand't realised that the LSN would also need to be adjusted as an effect of doing this.

A quick question on tyres:

I'm running pretty much the standard tyres up until now - as I'm not quite ready to start with the finer points of chassis tuning and tyre combinations. But what I notice is how much quicker the rears wear down than the fronts.
Now obviously, the rears are doing more work than the fronts (i.e. breaking), but shouldn't I try to run softer fronts if the fronts aren't wearing so quickly.

After my runs at the weekend, my rears had gone from 66->62.5 mm whereas my fronts from 66->64.5 mm.

By chosing softer fronts I could balance out the wear a bit better and get better grip through the curves?

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 01:17 AM   #2718
Tech Prophet

[QUOTE]Originally posted by markp27
[B]I see!

I did reset my carb settings not long ago and then found I had to set the HSN due to the engine running a little lean - I hand't realised that the LSN would also need to be adjusted as an effect of doing this.

Yup. This is because the HSN needle is the main needle that controls all the amount of fuel going into the carb. The LSN fine tunes the fuel delivery at the low end further after fuel goes through the HSN.

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
I'm running pretty much the standard tyres up until now - as I'm not quite ready to start with the finer points of chassis tuning and tyre combinations. But what I notice is how much quicker the rears wear down than the fronts.
Now obviously, the rears are doing more work than the fronts (i.e. breaking), but shouldn't I try to run softer fronts if the fronts aren't wearing so quickly.

After my runs at the weekend, my rears had gone from 66->62.5 mm whereas my fronts from 66->64.5 mm.

By chosing softer fronts I could balance out the wear a bit better and get better grip through the curves?

Cheers, Mark.
You could try softer shore front tires as long as you keep the car balanced. Well, alternatively, you could try harder rear tires and do some setup changes to add the loss of rear traction due to a harder rear compound.

The first thing you'll notice is the increase in steering with softer front tires. But then again, sometimes too much steering is not good and does not make the car handling stable. To even that out, you could try and stiffen the front suspension.

The other method of making the front and rear tires wear evenly to maintain the same front and rear pull, you could use overdrive pulleys. I tried out using 22T brake pulley, 47T rear diff pulley and instead of using 17T rear side pulley, I opted for the stock 18T. Everything else remains the same. This creates a front overdrive (front wheels turn more than the rear wheels). In order to make both front and rear wheels turn the same, I use a smaller front tire. With that setting, I tested out using 62 mm fronts and brand new 66 mm foams in the rear which is equivalant to a 4 mm split. The actual figure is close to 4.5 mm split. This is something like what you see on 1/8th scale. Larger rear than front tires. Using this split helkps to make the tire rollout for the front and rear about the same which is good. I find that with this setup, the rear tires wear less and close to about the same rate as the front tires. This is good as you get about the same handling performance that you would get in an entire long race. Steering of the car also improves because the front side of the car gets to sits lower.

The other method is to do like what team Serpent driver Julius Kolff does. Use the 23T front side pulley instead of 24T. This gives a smaller split which is about 3 mm if you use 17T rear pulley, 22T brake pulley and 47T rear diff pulley.

All in all, it depends on your driving style and preference.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:25 AM   #2719
Tech Elite

Food for thought there! Cheers.

Maybe I'll change the front pulley (as Julius Kolff) as I don't want to start cutting down tyres to ensure I have smaller fronts.

I'm trying still to discover my driving style, so I'll need to experiment away from the standard setup to see what I like.

Lots to play with
Old 07-18-2003, 01:34 AM   #2720
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
Maybe I'll change the front pulley (as Julius Kolff) as I don't want to start cutting down tyres to ensure I have smaller fronts.
What I do is to run equal tire diameter first before changing pulleys. After the rear tires are worn down and not the same diameter as the fronts, measure the front and rear diameters, mark them and put them aside.

After a while, you'll have quite a bit of tire selection to choose from. Then comes the mix and match game where you pair the front and rear tires using the optional overdrive pulleys.

Well, this is a well proven tire management method for those who cannot afford to own a tire truer Ummm, come to think of it, just selling one of your Nikkor lenses might get you a decent Hudy automatic tire truer
Old 07-18-2003, 01:44 AM   #2721
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
What I do is to run equal tire diameter first before changing pulleys. After the rear tires are worn down and not the same diameter as the fronts, measure the front and rear diameters, mark them and put them aside.

After a while, you'll have quite a bit of tire selection to choose from. Then comes the mix and match game where you pair the front and rear tires using the optional overdrive pulleys.

Well, this is a well proven tire management method for those who cannot afford to own a tire truer Ummm, come to think of it, just selling one of your Nikkor lenses might get you a decent Hudy automatic tire truer
Once I've sold that lens I'll be able to buy Serpent!!
Old 07-18-2003, 01:52 AM   #2722
Tech Prophet

... and President of the company will be Mark Pearson while Pieter Bervoets will step down and become vice president
Old 07-18-2003, 02:15 AM   #2723
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
... and President of the company will be Mark Pearson while Pieter Bervoets will step down and become vice president
That's the plan
Old 07-18-2003, 02:17 AM   #2724
Tech Prophet

As always, don't forget about me, ya? Perhaps a pre-production of the 705 replacement would just do fine
Old 07-18-2003, 02:47 AM   #2725
Tech Elite

When I'm president, I'll appoint you as chief test driver
Old 07-18-2003, 07:02 AM   #2726
Tech Adept

Smile

InitialD. I noticed that. But thanks for the pointer!
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 08:26 AM   #2727
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
Well spoken Mark. I definately agree with your statement.

To answer your last post. The chassis should be ready for sale now. Due to technical problems on Steve's computer I have not been able to talk to him this past week. But hopefully, this will be sorted this week and I will let you know then.
Ok, cheers.

Are you going to be using the chassis at the Euros?
Good for business if you win

Cheers, Mark.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:40 AM   #2728
Tech Master

Yes. I'll definately be using it at the Euros. And I'll be using a couple of other new parts also that should give the car better durability and strength.

I might even be using the laydown steering servo conversion also. But I will definately be using a single piece front solid axle with dogbones as one. Will be made out of steel and only a fraction the size of the current Serpent solid axle. The pulley will also be bolted on instead of held by rubber o-ring (using a Yokomo front pulley)
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 08:47 AM   #2729
Tech Elite

Sounds pretty interesting!!!!

Hey, it is Friday, how about following InitialD's lead and posting some photos
Old 07-18-2003, 09:44 AM   #2730
Tech Regular

Default new external adjustable Diff. for 705

hi guys, juz found this in tsn 705 forum, maybe most of u guys hv already found out this new diff
http://www.mytsn.com/forums/forum.as...8283&lo=1&sm=0

picture:
http://www.mytsn.com/forums/image.aspi?fiid=38419
(sorry, i duno how to post pics, im a computer idiot! lol)
taz5176 is offline   Reply With Quote