R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-15-2003, 09:27 PM   #2671
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Eddie, the chassis is meant only for 705. Impulse chassis has different mounting holes for the engine and receiver pack mounts.
I just couldn't tolerate seeing any scratches on my beloved Serpent. Besides, the new chassis by modeller looks neato.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf1238.jpg (74.5 KB, 151 views)
eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 09:39 PM   #2672
Tech Prophet

Default Re: centax 2 setup

Quote:
Originally posted by bt
Iknow this might have been covered before but any good tips on setting up the clutch to make it really snappy would be appreciated.
Snappy? What I'm about to tell below is not a sanctioned mod. Do it at your own risk.

1. Drill a hole in the center of the 3 flyweights instead of using the stock hole at the sides. This will make the flyweights "lighter" and the engine RPM will be higher before the clutch engages. Thanks to Punisher for the tip

2. Use the Mugen super hard silver spring (H0767) for the Centax clutch.

3. Use the black XP clutch shoes (6587XP). It grips better.

4. Set the end float to 0.4 or 0.5 mm. The larger the gap, the harder the punch but then you'll wear out the thrust bearings. Smaller gap provides for smoother shifting.

4. Tighten down the clutch spring adjuster nut till you can't tighten tighten it anymore. I suggest not to use the 9.2 mm measurement stated on the manual. Assemble the clutch, start the engine and try to get the clutch engage. If you cannot, then loosen the clutch by quater or half turns. You loosen the clutch clutch spring adjuster by quarter or half turns by putting a pin in the clutchbell hole (there are 2 holes there) and find the notch on the clutch spring adjuster that the pin can lock on to. Once that is locked on, turn the flywheel clockwise to LOOSEN the clutch spring adjuster. Loosen it until you find that the clutch engages and the car launches the best.

5. Finally, if you're still using stock pinions (16/19) and spurs (49/45) from the kit, I suggest you change the first gear pinion to 15T and the 1st gear spur to 50T. If you need further punch, change the stock 18T side pulley to 17T, the 46T rear diff pulley to 47T and the stock 23T brake pulley to 22T. This will give you a better internal drive ratio that will make the car launch better. This is not Centax clutch setup related but something you should consider if you want better off the line pickup.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 09:44 PM   #2673
bt
Tech Adept

Default centax

Thanks for the advice and tips initialD have you ever tried just sitting the shoes in the fly wheel.
bt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 09:45 PM   #2674
bt
Tech Adept

By that i mean not on the pins.In between the pins
Old 07-15-2003, 09:55 PM   #2675
Tech Prophet

No, I have not. I forsee if you do that, the flyweights will not know how to come back to neutral position once you let the throttle off. So the clutch would have the tendency to engage all the time. The performance would also not be consistant. Just guessing here.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:59 PM   #2676
bt
Tech Adept

Default cheers

thanks for your quick reply initialD.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:06 PM   #2677
bt
Tech Adept

Default impulse to 705

Does anyone know if the new engine mounts come in the conversion kits(impulse>705).
Old 07-15-2003, 10:11 PM   #2678
Tech Regular

Quote:
No, I have not. I forsee if you do that, the flyweights will not know how to come back to neutral position once you let the throttle off. So the clutch would have the tendency to engage all the time. The performance would also not be consistant. Just guessing here.
http://www.mytsn.com/products/product.asp?prid=194
but the this has been discontinued, i saw my LHS selling a black type. wif the round spring, the weights shd come back to neutral position, havent tried it yet
taz5176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 10:11 PM   #2679
Tech Regular

Default Clutch Shoe

Although it's not the biggest secret in the world, most top racers are utilizing the Delta Clutch Shoe for the Ultimate in instant grip.
I had been using the standard (beige) (tan) clutch shoe until i bought the serpent black xp shoe.
I have melted two of them !!!!!!!!!

The red shoe is used on the mugens as well as the 3 hole serpents and I am telling you , that if you want response go with the Red Delta Shoe, if you want some roll in and out, use the stock.
JABRONI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 10:18 PM   #2680
bt
Tech Adept

Thanks for the reply
Old 07-15-2003, 11:07 PM   #2681
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Clutch Shoe

Quote:
Originally posted by JABRONI
I had been using the standard (beige) (tan) clutch shoe until i bought the serpent black xp shoe.
I have melted two of them !!!!!!!!!
Ummm, you're either really stressing the shoes or your engines kick in the clutch damn powerful They must be slipping really badly to get them to melt.

I have used the XP shoes for almost a year now on my Impulse since they came out about a year ago and have never seen any problems with them. Same with the yellow tan stock shoes. I have also never seen people replacing their shoes because of wear. The LHS still has last year's stock of the XP shoes

Quote:
Originally posted by JABRONI
The red shoe is used on the mugens as well as the 3 hole serpents and I am telling you , that if you want response go with the Red Delta Shoe, if you want some roll in and out, use the stock.
Yes, but the problem is their availability throughout the rest of the world How much are they by the way?
Old 07-15-2003, 11:17 PM   #2682
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by taz5176
http://www.mytsn.com/products/product.asp?prid=194
but the this has been discontinued, i saw my LHS selling a black type. wif the round spring, the weights shd come back to neutral position, havent tried it yet
Yes, correct. I almost forgot about that one. Thanks for reminding me, taz These are the old flyweights used in the older Centax I clutch before Centax II came out. The Centax that came with my Impulse PRO (Japanese version) came with black flyweights. Apparently better at that time because the black carbon flyweights provided more slip.

Before even 705 or the Centax II came out, team drivers were doing the flyweight mods by cutting up the Centax clutch shoes to 3 equal pieces and replacing the stock flyweights with the springs. This provided more punch, more response and more consistant performance than the flyweights with the spring.

Now that the new flyweights are an official part number (909515), you can use them on the older Centax I clutch too. This comes as a standard on the Centax II clutch.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:19 PM   #2683
Tech Prophet

Default Re: impulse to 705

Quote:
Originally posted by bt
Does anyone know if the new engine mounts come in the conversion kits(impulse>705).
Yes but can you find the 801182 conversion kit? If you did, it would be very expensive.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:49 PM   #2684
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to nizee
Default Re: Re: centax 2 setup

Quote:
Snappy? What I'm about to tell below is not a sanctioned mod. Do it at your own risk.

1. Drill a hole in the center of the 3 flyweights instead of using the stock hole at the sides. This will make the flyweights "lighter" and the engine RPM will be higher before the clutch engages. Thanks to Punisher for the tip

2. Use the Mugen super hard silver spring (H0767) for the Centax clutch.

3. Use the black XP clutch shoes (6587XP). It grips better.

4. Set the end float to 0.4 or 0.5 mm. The larger the gap, the harder the punch but then you'll wear out the thrust bearings. Smaller gap provides for smoother shifting.

4. Tighten down the clutch spring adjuster nut till you can't tighten tighten it anymore. I suggest not to use the 9.2 mm measurement stated on the manual. Assemble the clutch, start the engine and try to get the clutch engage. If you cannot, then loosen the clutch by quater or half turns. You loosen the clutch clutch spring adjuster by quarter or half turns by putting a pin in the clutchbell hole (there are 2 holes there) and find the notch on the clutch spring adjuster that the pin can lock on to. Once that is locked on, turn the flywheel clockwise to LOOSEN the clutch spring adjuster. Loosen it until you find that the clutch engages and the car launches the best.

5. Finally, if you're still using stock pinions (16/19) and spurs (49/45) from the kit, I suggest you change the first gear pinion to 15T and the 1st gear spur to 50T. If you need further punch, change the stock 18T side pulley to 17T, the 46T rear diff pulley to 47T and the stock 23T brake pulley to 22T. This will give you a better internal drive ratio that will make the car launch better. This is not Centax clutch setup related but something you should consider if you want better off the line pickup.
Ahhh...Punisher release our little secret

I've been using the Red shoe. I maybe wrong here, but the Red shoe was not produce by Mugen, I think its Racer-Choice.
nizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 12:00 AM   #2685
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So, Serpent is coming out with a new car? Anybody has other info on the car besides the lay down servo?

Glad I did not buy a 705. Still racing a 4 year old Impulse