R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-11-2003, 10:50 PM   #2611
Tech Regular

will this charger be compatible with the serpent battery pack?
supra528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 11:32 PM   #2612
Tech Adept

aight first of all, let us know which radio you are using. futaba,airtronics,ko or jr? they have different kinds of chargers at towers because plugs are different. you can get any of'em that you have mentioned but you will need a right plug for your radio you are using. that thing will also charge your tx batteries as well.

but think about this. why spend $20 on those? that's a bottle of fuel right there. if you are on a budget just get mrc superbrain. onlyh $40something at towers. they do have most features as mid range chargers do. just cost less.

but if you still want to go with wall chargers here are some links

if your radio is futaba go .......................
ah you know what? wall chargers they have only go up to 4.8. which means 4cells. and we use 5cells. meaning need a charger that can do 6v. sorry can't help you now unless you decide to spend some $$$ hehehe
n1technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 11:37 PM   #2613
Tech Adept

btw. guys i finally ran my 705 today. oh man traction rolling big time. so i know stock setup won't work on my track.
and i'm sure i was sober when i did my initial setup (manual setup) but today at the track, left turn was great but right turn was horrible.
well i was out there to break my motor in so it didn't matter that much. man that sirio motor is fast, i was barely temping at 200 and it seemed like it was faster than my impact..
one more thing. i was looking at my springs. and noticed that ones on my 705 (rear) has more coils on it. wtf? when did they changed the spring? how come no one told me about this before?
Old 07-11-2003, 11:54 PM   #2614
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine
Talking Traction roll?

Could be you have too much droop,too soft a tire,too soft a spring,the car could be too high off the ground, go back and re/check your set up.
Slotmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 02:06 AM   #2615
Tech Adept

oh yeah the spring was too soft for the track (yellow), tires weren't trued and too big(66mm), ride height was too high (7mm ). the reason was i really didn't feel like scratching my new chassis.. and i was only there to break-in the motor and the drivetrain. but it was sad to see my new body getting trashed due to traction roll.
i didn't think my droop was too much off. 0 for the front and 7in the back.
oh and one more problem. chassis tweak big time. i knew something was wrong when i only spun out making right turns. and when i came home, i found out that i had a pretty big tweak on my car. hoping it was just sway bar/droop/shock problem.. but noooooo it just had to be the chassis... i narrowed it down to the radio deck/front bulk heads/and side braces..
any thoughts on how to fix this problem? and no my chassis isn't bent. any of my radio gear is touching any part of the chassis. so it could just be the misalignment of those 4 holes on the deck.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:04 AM   #2616
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by n1technik
aight first of all, let us know which radio you are using. futaba,airtronics,ko or jr? they have different kinds of chargers at towers because plugs are different. you can get any of'em that you have mentioned but you will need a right plug for your radio you are using. that thing will also charge your tx batteries as well.

but think about this. why spend $20 on those? that's a bottle of fuel right there. if you are on a budget just get mrc superbrain. onlyh $40something at towers. they do have most features as mid range chargers do. just cost less.

but if you still want to go with wall chargers here are some links

ah you know what? wall chargers they have only go up to 4.8. which means 4cells. and we use 5cells. meaning need a charger that can do 6v. sorry can't help you now unless you decide to spend some $$$ hehehe

so wats the cheapest charger for the battery pack... the link i posted was for the jr one... cuz i got the jr xr3i... so wats the mrx superbrain thing?
Old 07-12-2003, 09:08 AM   #2617
Tech Regular

ok... i looked at it... looks good ... does it come stock with a lead for the serpent battery pack?
Old 07-12-2003, 09:22 AM   #2618
Tech Master

Quote:
I have 4 standard Futaba wall chargers which came with my Radio sets (1 for Field Force 3 car set and the rest for aeroplanes) and all of them can charge any 6v receiver pack and the transmitter at the same time.

One of them is a Ni-CD charger which puts out 50mAh charge. Its model number is FBC-10D (4)

The other 3 are Ni-CD/Ni-MH charger which put out 70mAh charge. The model number for these is P-FBC10D/4

All 4 of them can charge anything up to 9.6v.

I guess you are just not looking for the right chargers. And at only $20 they are a bargain.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 09:43 AM   #2619
Tech Master

Quote:

oh and one more problem. chassis tweak big time. i knew something was wrong when i only spun out making right turns. and when i came home, i found out that i had a pretty big tweak on my car. hoping it was just sway bar/droop/shock problem.. but noooooo it just had to be the chassis... i narrowed it down to the radio deck/front bulk heads/and side braces..
any thoughts on how to fix this problem? and no my chassis isn't bent. any of my radio gear is touching any part of the chassis. so it could just be the misalignment of those 4 holes on the deck.
The springs on the 705 are from the Veteq which were different from the other Serpents.

Now the radio plate/ bearing block tweak is an interesting subject. Serpent maintained that it was the bearing block was not perfect due to a faulty tool and it was too costly to repair. I discovered that the Radio Plate was the culprit as the holes are not drilled in the correct place. I posted a solution on the MYTSN forum and now Serpent are agreeing. My theory as a designer was that the tool for the bearing block was cheap to repair and that the cost of the radio plate was stopping Serpent from fixing the problem in the short term (They would have lost a lot of money changing the radio plates and being stuck with so many old ones.

The fix is to file the front 4 holes out towards the outside of the radio plate to allow all 4 screws to fit in without pulling the plate. Then you file the taper until it is only .5mm from the edge of the radio plate. This stops the tweak. Serpent have now also agreed with this fix.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:51 AM   #2620
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
I have 4 standard Futaba wall chargers which came with my Radio sets (1 for Field Force 3 car set and the rest for aeroplanes) and all of them can charge any 6v receiver pack and the transmitter at the same time.

One of them is a Ni-CD charger which puts out 50mAh charge. Its model number is FBC-10D (4)

The other 3 are Ni-CD/Ni-MH charger which put out 70mAh charge. The model number for these is P-FBC10D/4

All 4 of them can charge anything up to 9.6v.

I guess you are just not looking for the right chargers. And at only $20 they are a bargain.
so the ofna charger for the jr radio would work with the serpent battery pack? cuz it says its 4.8 for the rx and 9.6 for the tx... so should i then go with the mrc?? and would that one have a lead for the serpent battery pack?
Old 07-12-2003, 10:01 AM   #2621
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
The fix is to file the front 4 holes out towards the outside of the radio plate to allow all 4 screws to fit in without pulling the plate. Then you file the taper until it is only .5mm from the edge of the radio plate. This stops the tweak. Serpent have now also agreed with this fix.
u got a picture?
taz5176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 10:03 AM   #2622
Tech Master

Supra -

Nope. The RX charge must be 6v minimum to charge a 5-cell pack. You cant charge a battery with a charger that puts out a smaller voltage than the battery.

JR should have a charger that puts out 9.6v or more charge in the RX as most large scale aeroplanes use a minimum of 6 cells for power. These chargers will charge your car set also and the Serpent receiver pack.

Taz -

I am trying to get pictures sorted. I dont have a camera anymore (it was stole) and getting my dad's new camera is like finding Gold in my back garden. Next to impossible
When I get pictures sorted I will post them.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:20 AM   #2623
Tech Regular

ok... i think im going to get the mrc one cuz it looks like a realy good deal... so does it have a lead for the serpent battery pack?
Old 07-12-2003, 12:56 PM   #2624
Tech Regular

or if it doesnt have the proper lead... how do i get one?? and could i get a link to one??
Old 07-12-2003, 08:49 PM   #2625
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Quote:
Paul - That is an interesting article but it doesnt beat what I designed over the last couple of weeks. I have just finished the design of a completely sold axle with built in cups. A lot thinner than the Serpent axle also for better rotational speed.
Good Job there modellor,, I'm really sorry about your camera, but when you get some pics of them ,, please I now that everybody in here would like to see your Job , and of course the cost is very important too , count on me in that one, because I have a couple of friends that would be very interest to get one of those

Quote:
Now the radio plate/ bearing block tweak is an interesting subject. Serpent maintained that it was the bearing block was not perfect due to a faulty tool and it was too costly to repair. I discovered that the Radio Plate was the culprit as the holes are not drilled in the correct place. I posted a solution on the MYTSN forum and now Serpent are agreeing. My theory as a designer was that the tool for the bearing block was cheap to repair and that the cost of the radio plate was stopping Serpent from fixing the problem in the short term (They would have lost a lot of money changing the radio plates and being stuck with so many old ones.
Yes ,, I saw this article in MYTSN Forums, and It was really interesting ,, and I was very disapointed with this , because how a company that its so huge and is the first in everything about R&D , can't solve a problem so simple just for the reason that is very costly for them, ,, the only thing I can say about it is ,, I can't belive it!!!

Ciao!!
paulfitipauldi is offline   Reply With Quote