R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-19-2003, 09:44 PM   #241
Tech Elite

What type of setup tips can any of you provide?
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 12:43 PM   #242
Tech Elite

No one can provide set up tips?
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 01:33 PM   #243
Tech Rookie

Default same here, markp27!

I'm at the same stage you are, Mark, with my 705. (my first nitro car-building experience as well). I came on to ask a question about the shock building problem you had - and here you had the answers! (thanks to all who replied to your questions - including tools!) I've ordered the Centax clutch gripper (still waiting for that). A good set of needle-nose pliers will even help in holding the smallest of parts. I also ordered the Serpent one-way lube from www.atomichobbies.com. Please keep in contact with your building processes as I will do the same. I plan on starting this week. I totally know what you mean about wanting to take a sick day!
hellbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 07:54 PM   #244
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by nizee
Mark,

I believe you get the 1.5 mm , 2 mm, 2.5 mm and 3 mm allen wrenches with the kit. I know my 705 did came with it.

Most of these tools to built the kit you can get at any hardware store.

Don't forget the starter box.
Nizee, you are right that the kit comes with L type allen wreches. But try doing the whole car using just that... I learnt the hard way and spent considerable time and not to mention the errors made from stripping the screws... Also, when you are setting the car, you need those tools too and proper ones come handy. I only bought the Hudy tools after I assembled the Impulse PRO. Setting up the car with these Hudy wrenches made it a lot easy.

As for the 705, it was a breeze assembling it. I attributed this to the proper available tools I had with me. Well, part of the which attributed to the speed in assembling it was due familiarity also.
I actually regretted not having invested the tools earlier during the assembling of my Impulse PRO.

I've built 2 705 units already. One for a friend and the other for myself. No mistakes this time.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:21 PM   #245
Tech Prophet

Default Foam and Rubber Tires Setup

Quote:
Originally posted by RCInfinity
What type of setup tips can any of you provide?
RCInfinity, mytsn should provide a wealth on information on this. In any case, I will list mine below for foam tires.

FRONT GEOMETRY

Downstop: 1mm
Driving Camber: -2.5 degrees
Front Width: 198mm
Front toe-out: 2 degrees
Front Castor: Max castor angle (all spacers in front of arm)
Front Axle: One-way
Shock Springs: Yellow
Shock Dampening: 2 hole
Shock Oil: Trinity 60 WT
Shock mounting: Lowest hole on the shock tower (not to be confused with Impulse Streetspec mounting)
Anti-Roll Bar: 0 degrees (Softest)
Ride Height: 6 mm
Tires: 42 (26 mm width) - No brand foams

REAR GEOMETRY

Downstop: 8 mm
Driving Camber: -4
Rear toe-in: 3 degrees
Rear Axle: Ball differential - Reasonably tight
Shock Dampening: 4 holes
Shock Oil: Trinity 50 WT
Shock mounting: Impulse Streetspec mounting (shocks not mounted on shock tower)
Anti-Roll Bar: Stock
Rear upright spacer: Stock 7 mm
Tires: 42 (30 mm width) - No brand foams

The setup was was pretty stable on high speed Given that was the first time I ran it on foams. Lots of on power steering and reasonable off power steering. No traction rolling on high speed corners. The droop settings and ride height of the car was taken from the Hudy setup board which is based on 66 mm foam tire diameter. The foam tires I ran were 65 mm for what it's worth. Minus 0.5 mm compensation for actual droop and ride height settings.

For rubber tires, here is a setup which worked well for me on a first run. Haven't experimented with more.

FRONT GEOMETRY

Downstop: 1mm
Driving Camber: -2.5 degrees
Front Width: 198mm
Front toe-out: 2 degrees
Front Castor: Max castor angle (all spacers in front of arm)
Front Axle: One-way
Shock Dampening: 2 hole
Shock Oil: Trinity 60 WT
Shock mounting: Lowest hole on the shock tower (not to be confused with Impulse Streetspec mounting)
Anti-Roll Bar: 0 degrees (Softest)
Tires: 24 mm Sorex 40 tires, Sorex B firm inserts with 26 mm rims

REAR GEOMETRY

Downstop: 8 mm
Driving Camber: -4
Rear toe-in: 3 degrees
Rear Axle: Ball differential - Reasonably loose
Shock Dampening: 4 holes
Shock Oil: Trinity 50 WT
Shock mounting: Impulse Streetspec mounting (shocks not mounted on shock tower)
Anti-Roll Bar: Stock
Tires: 24 mm Sorex 40 tires, Sorex B firm inserts with 26 mm rims

I will try taking the 7 mm upright spacer off. Apparently for rubber tires, this is not required because very Little camber change is needed during a corner.

With one way front and rubber tires, brakes need to be set prertty light. Half that required for foams. Slight push on power and lots of off power steering which suites quite well on the small technical track layout I run.

I'll experiment more and update this setup from time to time.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:46 PM   #246
Tech Regular

I don't have a 705 (yet), but I can tell you what worked for me in general with my Impulse Streetspec, running the Pro Shock towers, and the anti-roll bars.

I started with the recommended Serpent setup. In general, you can fine-tune with a combination of piston-hole settings, tower position, and spring. What I have learned is that moving up one position is similar to going to a stiffer spring, although it is less of an effect than if I actually went to the next stiffest spring. You can usually go up two holes from the original setup before you're better off going to the next stiffest spring and bringing it back down to the original mounting hole in your base setup. If you find that you're getting too much traction, and two adjustment on the stiffer side do not help, it's time to stiffen the anti-roll bars.

What I have also learned from working with the suspension is that you want to play with the piston settings. more dampening, will give you better response, but if you find that any of the wheels start chattering, you want to step back one notch. I have personally found that the Serpent 30 Wt. is very versatile when used with the various piston settings; but, you should feel free to experiment with different things if you think it can make the car faster. That's what this hobby is about! Good Luck!
TurnNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 09:28 PM   #247
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to nizee

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Nizee, you are right that the kit comes with L type allen wreches. But try doing the whole car using just that... I learnt the hard way and spent considerable time and not to mention the errors made from stripping the screws... Also, when you are setting the car, you need those tools too and proper ones come handy. I only bought the Hudy tools after I assembled the Impulse PRO. Setting up the car with these Hudy wrenches made it a lot easy.

As for the 705, it was a breeze assembling it. I attributed this to the proper available tools I had with me. Well, part of the which attributed to the speed in assembling it was due familiarity also.
I actually regretted not having invested the tools earlier during the assembling of my Impulse PRO.

I've built 2 705 units already. One for a friend and the other for myself. No mistakes this time.
InitialD,
You are so right, just letting someone new know that the kit does have tools available. I too have those "special precise tools", not from hudy though, but the tools i use to built a couple of my 60 size helicopters.

Thinking that if someone could afford the 705, i'm very sure he or she can afford those tools to build. Get those tools!

nizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 09:43 PM   #248
Tech Regular

Default Rear Pulley

Just wanted to share this info i got from the Serpent guy over at mytsn, if anyone got the 22T pulley for the rear.

PIETER BERVOETS (NL) 01.20.03 at 18:34

this is very confusing indeed, but in fact it is wrong, and we are the ones to blame. We initially intended to put the 22/47 drive in, with the 17T side-pully. This was changed to 23/46T and the 18T side pully. Somehow we didn't manage to get it right in the manual, it's one of those things. We'll put it right in the i-Manual, and in the next release of the manual when it goes into print again.

Unfortunately a few kits received the 22T pully still. Pls. contact Serpent USA and they will send you the 23T pully immediately. Customers from other countries should contact their own districutor, not Serpent USA.

We appologize for this rather stupid mistake.

Last edited by nizee; 01-20-2003 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:57 PM   #249
Tech Regular

InitialD,

Great on the set-up!! Thanks for sharing.

With that kinda setup, what surface are u running at or experiment with?
Old 01-20-2003, 10:20 PM   #250
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by nizee
InitialD,

Great on the set-up!! Thanks for sharing.

With that kinda setup, what surface are u running at or experiment with?
Ooophs, forgot to mention... The foams were tested on normal road tarmac. Slightly on the rough side. Not the kind you get on the highway road tarmac. The kind where if you use wrong tire inserts and rubber compound, you'll just rip it useless after a tank or two. I ran about 8 tanks on foams and the fronts was about 62.5 mm while the rear left was 60.5 while the rear right was 1 mm more than the rear left.

The rubber tires setup were tested on a flat cement based surface. One surface that foams will not work. I tried the rubber setup on a high speed tarmac track (highway smooth type quality) on the 705's virgin run and I found it OK too. I'll need to test more rubber tires on that surface.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:04 PM   #251
Tech Apprentice

Default Comparison with STS PRO 10 II

Calandra Racing Concepts has a vehicle very similar to the 705. It is the STS Pro 10. Is this essentially the same car? If not, how does it differ?

Dookiestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 11:46 PM   #252
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Comparison with STS PRO 10 II

How does it differ? It's as close as you can get to a Impulse PRO / 705. The STS comes with a solid axle. The Centax and 2 speed gearbox ont he 705 are also different. Definitely different is the tank, battery and top carbon deck mountings. The STS also does not have carbon graphite shock towers on the front and rear.

What I know is that the STS has optional lightened 2 speed gearbox and "FPS" like ball diff which apparently does not work good.

The only thing good about the STS is the price and the rear floating mount which neither the 705 nor the Impulse PRO has without modifications from Serpent Impact parts.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:03 AM   #253
Tech Apprentice

Default Hmmm?

Would you consider buying this car though? Compared to the 705 and impulse Pro, It doesn't look to bad. And the price is off the charts in comparison! I would think that the fuel tank could be switched out with the 705 one and apply all the upgrades....4mm Chassis, lite gearbox, steel pullies, carbon radio plate; it would have to be an ok car in comparison wouldn't it? Should I fret over the fact that the body post are not graphite? Or that it doesn't cost $400+ at the local hobby shop?? What problems have you heard about the FPS diff and the car overall??
Old 01-21-2003, 02:27 AM   #254
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Hmmm?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dookiestick
Would you consider buying this car though? Compared to the 705 and impulse Pro, It doesn't look to bad. And the price is off the charts in comparison! I would think that the fuel tank could be switched out with the 705 one and apply all the upgrades....4mm Chassis, lite gearbox, steel pullies, carbon radio plate; it would have to be an ok car in comparison wouldn't it? Should I fret over the fact that the body post are not graphite? Or that it doesn't cost $400+ at the local hobby shop?? What problems have you heard about the FPS diff and the car overall??
I do not know about the problems concerning STS's FPS diff or the car overall. Do note that the car has the same type of pulley mountings as the 705 (pulley adapter with grub screw type). Yes, the price is indeed tempting. Look like the real thing.

What you could do is probably get the gear diffs and other parts from Serpent. But then the upgrade parts to 705 may be a little expensive. Original Impulse PRO owners can expect to pay around EURO 251.26 for upgrade parts to 705 (part number 801182). This only includes the upper deck, tank, battery holder, 3 mm chassis, new rear bulkheads and new rear sway bar. I don't think it includes the new lightened 2 speed gearbox, Centax II and the new style pullies. Also, Serpent does not make aluminum pullies.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:51 AM   #255
Tech Apprentice

Talking OK!!

Thanks for the info!! I think I am going to give the STS PRO 10 a try and use their upgrades along with a few from the 705 with hopes of having a pretty decent 1/10th scale car. I have a Brand new Dennis Ritchey modifed Collari 5 port thats been sitting for months on the shelf begging to be used. If you find out any other info pleas keep me posted.!!