R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-01-2003, 09:31 PM   #2296
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by nizee
InitialD,
Time for u to go to bed !!
Is not healty!! Good racer need sleep to concentrate on the field!!
Heheh, probably that is why I'm still struggling in the infields I'll give it some thought... I'll go to sleep
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 10:24 PM   #2297
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Dam, this is a fast moving thread! Has anyone played with roll center on the car? I raised the roll center on my Impulse back in the day and got the car really dialed, anyone doing this on the 705?
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 11:07 PM   #2298
Tech Prophet

I'm awake

Randman, which rollcenter are you talking about? I played a little with the rear changing it from 7 mm to 5 mm. Seems to give a little more rear end grip while still giving the car fast changing characteristics from left to right. I could use less rear toe in while still making the rear end stable. This means I could use the additional on power steering provided from the less rear toe in

As for the front, I have not physically used shims to raise the front bulkhead. However what I did was to run a split by using different rear side pulley which enabled me to run a 5 mm split in the front and rear. This enabled me to use smaller front tires and larger rear tires. Using small front tires will make the front end sit lower and because of the way the front arms are angled when using these smaller front tires, the roll center of the front gets raised. I find that driving with smaller front tires is nice. It gives you a lot of controlled steering while making the front end of the car more agile to direction changes. I notice that the front end of the car also stays flatter around the corners.

What's your feedback when you changed your roll centers back then? Would be interested to know
Old 07-01-2003, 11:56 PM   #2299
Tech Prophet

I actually cut out a piece of .020 lexan and put it under the rear bulkheads, gave a little more rear bite, just made the car feel all around better.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:21 AM   #2300
Tech Prophet

Cool The idea of using lexan as spacers under the bulkheads is a fantastic idea. Thanks.

You actually can increase the rear roll center of the car with the 7 mm aluminum spacers on the rear uprights. It makes the rear arms more angled when you add these spacers. You can use other spacers in different dimensions as well to make for other numbers. Don't know how much in terms of mm or inch the direct increase in the rear roll center for every mm of spacer on the upright...

Probably using the lexan as spacers on the front bulkhead would be a good idea.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:08 AM   #2301
Tech Prophet

It's worth a shot at least. I just cut out a piece of lexan to the bolt pattern on the front bulkhead and shaped it the same as the chassis that it was on top of. That way you still get full support, rather than just sitting the bulkheads on some #4 washers or something. Try it out and see what you think.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:47 AM   #2302
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
It's worth a shot at least. I just cut out a piece of lexan to the bolt pattern on the front bulkhead and shaped it the same as the chassis that it was on top of. That way you still get full support, rather than just sitting the bulkheads on some #4 washers or something. Try it out and see what you think.
This is the best way. We used to do the same thing with the 1:8th cars. We would have cut a piece of lexan to the shape of the outer edges of the entire chassis from one end to the other. This served the purpose of altering the rollcenter and also helps to keep larger stones from getting in and stripping the front and rear belts.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 09:51 AM   #2303
Tech Prophet

I actually still left the holes under the diffs. I dont think they are put there to let rocks in as much as they are there to let rocks out.

I'm looking at another 705, how are they doing against the current competition?
Old 07-02-2003, 07:56 PM   #2304
Tech Prophet

Quote:
I'm looking at another 705, how are they doing against the current competition?
They are doing pretty ok. Look at www.mytsn.com for some race reports. They are doing well mostly in EU. I would say Associated, Mugen and Serpent usually takes the top 3 spots most of the time. I think right now, there are not many factory drivers running the 705. Most of them are concentrating and driving the 950. They rarely get the time and chance to drive the 705 at major competitions when both scales are up for grabs.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:18 PM   #2305
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I lost one of my wheel nut.. and not sure..what to use next?? Since LHS doesn't have any serpent wheel nuts in stock. I always have the problem with the wheel nut came out during the race!!

What shold I do..what can I buy??
superk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 08:23 PM   #2306
Tech Prophet

superk, what wheels are you using? Also, what do you use to tighten the wheelnuts? I tighten mine very tightly with this. In my opinion, these Serpent wheelnuts with flanges are the best around.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:34 PM   #2307
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yha... I use 7mm wriench...but..some how it come loose some time. I use Ellegi, fasttyers, and Trendz.
superk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 08:42 PM   #2308
Tech Prophet

You can buy some 4mm locking nuts and they should work fine.

I think the reason the 705 isn't necissarely successful at larger races is because of how few people actually drive it. Serpent is a much smaller name than Associated, Yokomo, Kyosho, Mugen, etc. so there arent many 705's out there to take the win. I was very successful with my Impulse, and the 705 can only be a better car, I'm concentrating on electric right now, but have a feeling that when I take a break from electric, I'll have a 705 in my pit. Any tricks I should know about for the 705?
Old 07-02-2003, 08:51 PM   #2309
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by superk
Yha... I use 7mm wriench...but..some how it come loose some time. I use Ellegi, fasttyers, and Trendz.
With the wrench, I can tighten them real tight. Almost to the extent I get blisters on my palms because of this... Anyway, I tighten them to the extent that I cannot take unscrew it out immediately with the wrench. Most of the time I use a cloth to get a better grip so that I can take the wheelnuts off. When I do this, I can go the whole weekend of racing without the wheels coming off.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:16 PM   #2310
Tech Prophet

Quote:
I think the reason the 705 isn't necissarely successful at larger races is because of how few people actually drive it. Serpent is a much smaller name than Associated, Yokomo, Kyosho, Mugen, etc. so there arent many 705's out there to take the win. I was very successful with my Impulse, and the 705 can only be a better car, I'm concentrating on electric right now, but have a feeling that when I take a break from electric, I'll have a 705 in my pit. Any tricks I should know about for the 705?
Yes, you are right on that one. I was actually referring to the international racing scene. On the more local side, that happens. The other brands are more popular. Even where I race, there's hardly any 705 / Serpent cars around.

Racing the 705 is a good idea since you are already very much familiar with the Impulse. I would say most parts interchange and if you still have your Impulse, you can either keep it for spare parts or a spare car to race

Tips? Not much if you already know how to build a Serpent car. I think you can read assembly problems at mytsn and also here. Just be careful when you assemble the 18T read side pulley to avoid it from rubbing the bearing at the rear bulkheads. There is an article on mytsn that deals with this. Look it up.