R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-09-2003, 12:01 AM   #1861
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Let me tell ya.... I love the car!! but...today front belt cost me the race!!!! I was on my way to beat all the NTC3 here in local race track!! Then...pop...front belt smap!! plus not to memsion ...I lost my wheel nut and the wheel come loose!!! (I really did tight the wheel) Don't know how it keep come loose??? any fix?!!!

Oh..and this is the Impulse Pro and the car was hook!! Those shock lay down post help me to plan down the rear end!!....I hope my new 705 will finish up my race next time!!
superk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 01:22 AM   #1862
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by superk
Let me tell ya.... I love the car!! but...today front belt cost me the race!!!! I was on my way to beat all the NTC3 here in local race track!! Then...pop...front belt smap!! plus not to memsion ...I lost my wheel nut and the wheel come loose!!! (I really did tight the wheel) Don't know how it keep come loose??? any fix?!!!

Oh..and this is the Impulse Pro and the car was hook!! Those shock lay down post help me to plan down the rear end!!....I hope my new 705 will finish up my race next time!!
Ummm, I've actually never had a race ended because of a faulty belt. Believe me those kevlar belts are the best. If you haven't used the 5 mm front belt, you may want to. Part number is 808361.

On the PRO, I notice that the belt would destroy easier with the pin style pulley mounting. With the 705 that includes Impact style pulleys mounted with aluminum pulley adapter and grub screw, I find that it is more easy on the belts as there is no play with this type of mounting, hence belts don't strip easily. I noticed this straight away when I changed the pulleys to the Impact ones on my PRO even before the 705 came about and quickly noticed how long the belts lasted. Same car, same belts, different pulleys

A tip that I always use is to put a tape on the top of the upper bumper plate support opening and at the bottom of the chassis opening where the front belt is. I believe they prevent stones and pebbles from getting in and contrary to some who believe that stones and pebbles will be trapped even easier.

As to your wheels coming off, what wheels and what wheelnuts are you using? The Serpent wheelnuts are the best wheelnuts ever made. Period. I also never had a tire pop off. Only once because I was careless enough not to tighten it. If you're using other wheelnuts, that may be the problem. If you really need to tighten it up and secure it during a long race, I have heard people putting some loctite (blue). Make sure they dry before you race... Else it would be the same thing. The other tip would be to put a plumber's teflon tape around the driveshaft thread and screw the wheelnut in. Make sure you get a good 7 mm socket wrench that you can really tighten the wheelnuts.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 02:16 AM   #1863
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Must thanks to everyone on this 705 thread have been a great help to myself by just reading everyones post.

Maybe one of you can give me some hints on gearing for the track I run on. Here is a arieal picture track can tell the most common way we run by dark path around track, only run the one long straight in front of drivers stand. Track is 160' by 80'

So should I run a lower ratio by changing out pulleys and should I even go lower and order gears to gear the 2 speed lower also.

Thank in advance for any advice.

Last edited by corwin; 06-09-2003 at 02:30 AM.
corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 02:20 AM   #1864
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord

Corwin, where can I get a picture like that of my track?
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 02:53 AM   #1865
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by corwin
Must thanks to everyone on this 705 thread have been a great help to myself by just reading everyones post.

Maybe one of you can give me some hints on gearing for the track I run on. Here is a arieal picture track can tell the most common way we run by dark path around track, only run the one long straight in front of drivers stand. Track is 160' by 80'

So should I run a lower ratio by changing out pulleys and should I even go lower and order gears to gear the 2 speed lower also.

Thank in advance for any advice.
Woow, that looks like a recognisance photo from a spy satellite

My guess is that the 15T/18T and 49T/45T gearing with the stock internal pulleys could be the ticket. In any case, it depends on your engine if it can take high revs. I thought the track at the WInternats was 150 feet long and they had to gear down using the optional internal pulleys and using 15T/18T. I may be wrong.

In any case, this is what I do. I permanently change to the 47T, 22T and 17T internal pulleys. I then change the pinions and spurs to suite the track. Easier that way. I have actually not seen or heard anyone using up to 20T pinion with the stock 46T, 23T and 18T internal pulleys. Besides, you can run on smaller tracks if you need to with the optional internal pulleys fixed.

If I were you, I'll try 15T/19T and 50T/45T using the optional internal pulleys. The 2nd gear gearing must be such that your high end rev should reach when you're at the end of the straight. Then for the 1st gear, suite to get the best pickup.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:01 AM   #1866
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Woow, that looks like a recognisance photo from a spy satellite

My guess is that the 15T/18T and 49T/45T gearing with the stock internal pulleys could be the ticket. In any case, it depends on your engine if it can take high revs. I thought the track at the WInternats was 150 feet long and they had to gear down using the optional internal pulleys and using 15T/18T. I may be wrong.

In any case, this is what I do. I permanently change to the 47T, 22T and 17T internal pulleys. I then change the pinions and spurs to suite the track. Easier that way. I have actually not seen or heard anyone using up to 20T pinion with the stock 46T, 23T and 18T internal pulleys. Besides, you can run on smaller tracks if you need to with the optional internal pulleys fixed.

If I were you, I'll try 15T/19T and 50T/45T using the optional internal pulleys. The 2nd gear gearing must be such that your high end rev should reach when you're at the end of the straight. Then for the 1st gear, suite to get the best pickup.
Yes, another method to check if what final drive ratio you're using is correct, observe the other fast cars on the track and take note of where the engine RPM winds up. Note their pinions and spurs gearing. If you're the only 705 there and others are using other cars, back calculate using the gearing information and the internal drive ratio to calculate their final drive ratio.

With this information, match the 705's gearing to get about the same final drive ratio. Let me know if you cannot find out the internal ratios of those other cars. I can help you out
Old 06-09-2003, 06:09 AM   #1867
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord
Corwin, where can I get a picture like that of my track?
If you know someone with a Large scale model aircraft with camera fitted or even a real plane you can get those pictures taken easily.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 06:11 AM   #1868
Tech Adept

Smile Tracks

Have a look at my local track. It hosted the euros in 235 2wd IC last year and the 1:8 TR WC in 1993, I think

Link
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 06:25 AM   #1869
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

My 705's built and completed...just had a few comments.

My left front bulkhead was not drilled for a set-screw to secure the pipe hanger. Did anyone else notice this or did the C&C machine not make that drill. I also noticed that I had to finish a lot of holes as they were not drilled completely, setscrews for arm pins for the most part.

The pipe that came with the basic NovaMega Sx12 power package is huge! I found out that it actually hits the front left foam tire when turned all the way to the left (stock tire, not trued to 62mm) I'll have to modify the coil exhaust hanger so that is not an issue or make my own hanger after I drill tap for a setscrew

3rd is that I read on Mytsn that people were having issues with bearing failure on the rear side pull (2speed midshaft) because the pully housing was rubbing on the bearing. It was suggest that a washer to be place between to correct the problem. I did this and then had issues with the 2 speed side. The pin did not line up so I had to take about 1.5mm off of the alum spacer to get everything to line up. Cause of this, the rear bumps of the 1st gear tapped on the bulkhead so I had to file these down a bit too. Everything went together fine after that, think there is any issues? I am going to pick up those parts that I modified just in case things do not work correctly that I can go back to assembly and figure out how to make things work.

Last is that why did they have to put the front shock tower right over the front droop screws? I can't get my driver in there to adjust without fear of stripping out the set screw.

But all in all, I think it's going to be a great kit...now to break in the Sx12.
John Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 07:43 AM   #1870
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hmm....it seem like calculateing all the drive/gear ratio are very difficult and comfusing....but...I'll try the 3 internal pullies change also...2speed spergear and pinion.

Any how..I just don't have the luck yesterday! During the qualify the car run great!! I miss TQ by 4 sec!! (My contact start to boter my eyes) The wheel nut that I use is a 7mm lock nuts from PGM. I might have to try loctite it. After the race .. I try to roll the car..and it seem like drive train is kind a stiff..feel like the belt is very tight....dont know why.

But..as of now...it's all apart and ready to be clean!! bairings and all!! This will be my back up car...and the 705 will be the winner this time
superk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 10:20 AM   #1871
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Cool Ratio

Here is a pretty cool ratio zip program I found.........STS Ratio Program

PUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 10:30 AM   #1872
Tech Master

Here is a little VBScript version Kaiser produced. Really neat and will work on a Laptop at the race track.
Attached Files
File Type: zip overdrive calculation.zip (684 Bytes, 30 views)
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 07:01 PM   #1873
Tech Regular

Default Track

Johan that track looks awesome, I love the 3d view !!!!
JABRONI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 07:15 PM   #1874
Tech Adept

Smile

JABRONI, its the only track ive seen in "real life", so its hard to compare, but I like it! Just 10 min away from my hourse

johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 07:19 PM   #1875
Tech Regular

Thumbs up Track

Some guys have all the Luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JABRONI is offline   Reply With Quote