R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-05-2003, 04:35 AM   #1741
Tech Prophet

Your ideas make sense but I'm not too sure about the Lola part. I hope Serpent is not reading this
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 05:02 AM   #1742
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
I forgot that one too... I have a generic Phillips (don't know the size) and a Bosch automatic driver equipped with a Phillips tip that I use for the lower chassis parts that have Phillips screws. The Phillips screws that go into the plastic parts do not need to be tighten a lot.

Just that for those screws that I need to tighten and lock hard like the engine mounts and the aluminum radio tray support, I have changed them to allen type screws For me, it is much easier to work on and I have more confidence tightening them without stripping the head. I have another allen set that has holes at the ends of the handles to slot in another allen in to form a "T" wrench. That way I can screw the allen screws in even tighter. I have also changed the engine heatsink screws to allen type.
so will the Ti-Nitride Hex Wrench Set (6pcs) from there have almost every thing i need??except for the socket wrench and the phillips screwdrivers?? and can i just use the regular screw drivers that i have in my home for the phillips head?? and for starting of couldnt i just use regular allen wrenches and then once i start working ill get a good sset??
supra528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 05:19 AM   #1743
Tech Master

I wouldnt advise using the regular allen keys. The holes on the Serpent are really tight and you wouldnt get the screws any more than half way in without stripping a head.

But the Phillips head drivers you have at home will be fine if they are the correct size. This is a big factor in why people strip phillips head screws quicker. They use too small a driver and it moves inside the head.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 05:25 AM   #1744
Tech Adept

hey snakers. i don't know if you guys remember me but i have posted couple messages back in hpiforum days. and it's good to see/read familiar names.
i had impulse ss couple years back and moved onto impact class. and where i live, impact class are slowly fading away.
so i've finally decided to join tc class again. now, i'm sure many of you have been there and i have same dilemma. MTX-3 or 705.
(parts are no issue here. i know where to get'em, although they do cost more than mugen i know how strong serpents are.)
now the question is to those of you who have driven both cars.
1. i know how strong serpents are. what about mtx3?
2. which car have more steering? more responsive?

well i guess that's pretty much it for now. oh btw, have you guys seen this??
http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publmem.asp?pid=4582
modellor, can you make something like this?
n1technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 05:31 AM   #1745
Tech Regular

ok... so that integy set would have all the screwdrivers i need??? i mean the allen ones??
supra528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 05:32 AM   #1746
Tech Master

Yeah, we can make it. What type of Radio plate would you be interested in? Carbon or alloy? Makes no difference other than the price.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:41 AM   #1747
Tech Adept

can you do this to 705? if you can price isn't an issue.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:42 AM   #1748
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: WOT Glitches?

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
I guessed as much... Your problem sounded very familiar. Let us know how it turns out.
Turns out it was a faulty receiver, probably the first place I should have looked. First time I have ever had a problem with glitching with my KO. Thanks, J Longbrake
J_Longbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 05:47 AM   #1749
Tech Master

Yeah, sorry. I should mentioned the car. We can do it for the 705. Although the one in those pictures is a bit overkill with materials I think.

We can also make the radio tray from Carbon or 7075 alloy. Which ever you prefer.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:06 AM   #1750
Tech Adept

hey modellor you have pm
Old 06-05-2003, 06:40 AM   #1751
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

Started building the 705 last night. Ashford got it to me in 1 day..that's awesome for ground service. Man, I have never seen a kit so tight. Not even my xray was this tight. They really assume that you have put together a lot of kits as the directions are skimpy to say the least. Luckily knowing my shocks on my xray inside and out let me put together the serpent shocks correctly. I pitty a newbie trying to put this kit together. They don't even tell you what size E clip to put on the top or bottom of the shock shaft. I did find out though, don't squeeze the E clips too hard on the front gear pulleys cause you can punch the E clip through the soft alum and then the pulley shaft will bind on the burrs. I had to debur and then it slipped in and you could attach it with the setscrew. I look forward to putting together the rest of the kit.. I hope the front belt loosens up a bit as it's tight and the bulkheads do not adjust for belt tension.
John Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 08:16 AM   #1752
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Regarding which E-clips and so-on: on the instructions it may not tell you exactly which size of e-clip to use, but the instructions always say which bags the components are in for each build section.

By following which bags to use, you'll always end up with the right components.

cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 09:32 AM   #1753
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

Yes, but the bag for the shock has two different size E-clips. A 2.3mm and 1.9mm. I had to consult my xray manual to put the 1.9mm on the top of the shock piston and the 2.3mm under the washer. It's details like this that really should be mentioned in the instruction manual as the E-clips look the same size in the CAD drawing. If you never built these kind of shocks before you would be scraching your head in confusion on which ones to put where. I'm not saying you need to baby the kit builder, but don't make it too vague that they can not do the procedure correctly. The xray manual gives very good instructions along with the CAD diagrams. The 705 manual didn't even give instructions to build 4 shocks, it just assumed that you knew. Maybe i'm reading too much into it where other kits like the Xray walked you through each step. There is a lot of reading between the lines (or lack of lines)
John Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 09:46 AM   #1754
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to nizee

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
Hi Mark,

We are selling to the general public. I personally guarantee that you wont find any part on my car that isnt available to buy. The way I see it is if I am not able to beat someone with an equal car then I just aint going fast enough and I need to practise more.
Hey Modellor,

Count me in, i'm very interested. PM me with the pricing details. Does it include the optional Spacer?
nizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 09:54 AM   #1755
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to nizee

Quote:
Originally posted by Devin
Yes, but the bag for the shock has two different size E-clips. A 2.3mm and 1.9mm. I had to consult my xray manual to put the 1.9mm on the top of the shock piston and the 2.3mm under the washer. It's details like this that really should be mentioned in the instruction manual as the E-clips look the same size in the CAD drawing. If you never built these kind of shocks before you would be scraching your head in confusion on which ones to put where. I'm not saying you need to baby the kit builder, but don't make it too vague that they can not do the procedure correctly. The xray manual gives very good instructions along with the CAD diagrams. The 705 manual didn't even give instructions to build 4 shocks, it just assumed that you knew. Maybe i'm reading too much into it where other kits like the Xray walked you through each step. There is a lot of reading between the lines (or lack of lines)
I guess serpent does NOT target the market for beginner? And is sad to hear when a beginner complain about the design, but the fact of the matter is they built it wrong.

It would be wise to ask question in forums or maybe in mytsn.com then to complain first. My 2 cents worth.
nizee is offline   Reply With Quote