R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-03-2003, 01:18 PM   #1621
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord
Default Re: Something good on MYTSN

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
Just been browsing through some old articles on MYTSN and found the following three, which for a relative beginner, like me, seem pretty good:

http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publ.asp?pid=1985

http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publ.asp?pid=2157

http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publ.asp?pid=2178

Some nice simple explinations about car setup.

Cheers, Mark.
Wow, in that last link he actually suggests you use plastic shock bodies over aluminum shock bodies! He says the plastic ones are lighter and more consistent as they build up heat.
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 01:40 PM   #1622
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Never, to be honest. It's something I may try out, but I'd heard that it drains the battery or wears out the servo too quickly.

I would be interested to know how the ABS actually works, as normally (on a road car) sensors are required on the wheels to be able to sense when a wheel locks up.
Our RCs don't have any sensors and I can't see what kind of feedback can be given from the servo to the radio handset. I think that the ABS is probably a very crude system which may simply pulse the breaks.

It would be worth trying in the wet, just to see.

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 01:45 PM   #1623
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Something good on MYTSN

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord
Wow, in that last link he actually suggests you use plastic shock bodies over aluminum shock bodies! He says the plastic ones are lighter and more consistent as they build up heat.
Yep, I noticed that, too! Damn!!! Just bought some, too

Actually, from what I've read, they're supposed to be designed for when it's really hot.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:46 PM   #1624
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Never, to be honest. It's something I may try out, but I'd heard that it drains the battery or wears out the servo too quickly.

I would be interested to know how the ABS actually works, as normally (on a road car) sensors are required on the wheels to be able to sense when a wheel locks up.
Our RCs don't have any sensors and I can't see what kind of feedback can be given from the servo to the radio handset. I think that the ABS is probably a very crude system which may simply pulse the breaks.

It would be worth trying in the wet, just to see.

Cheers, Mark.
ABS does drain batteries quicker, however if you're using the proper servo you won't have any problems with excessive wear. If you're going to be using ABS, the best servo to use is a high speed digital servo. If you use a junky analog servo or a high torque servo, you'll fry the servo very quickly if you use ABS.

Our ABS is actually an ABS "simulator" as opposed to real ABS. All it does it pulse the servo very quickly, and with the 3PK you can fine tune it to pulse at a certain speed and you can also fine tune how much travel the actual pulse is. It actually works VERY well, my lap times are consistently 1 second quicker if I am using ABS because I can break a lot harder without fearing my car will spin out or go into a slide or something, it's too bad that it's not race legal .
Old 06-03-2003, 01:51 PM   #1625
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord
ABS does drain batteries quicker, however if you're using the proper servo you won't have any problems with excessive wear. If you're going to be using ABS, the best servo to use is a high speed digital servo. If you use a junky analog servo or a high torque servo, you'll fry the servo very quickly if you use ABS.

Our ABS is actually an ABS "simulator" as opposed to real ABS. All it does it pulse the servo very quickly, and with the 3PK you can fine tune it to pulse at a certain speed and you can also fine tune how much travel the actual pulse is. It actually works VERY well, my lap times are consistently 1 second quicker if I am using ABS because I can break a lot harder without fearing my car will spin out or go into a slide or something, it's too bad that it's not race legal .
I was wondering if it'd be race legal. I'm not sure I'll turn it on, as if I can't use it in a race, then I'd prefer not to use it when practicing or else I may not learn how to break properly without the electronics doing some work for me.

I must say, there are some really good articles on MYTSN. In total there are about 3500 articles written since 1999 - I'll skip on the non-english and germans ones, though - although Dutch is almost understandable
Old 06-03-2003, 02:03 PM   #1626
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by supra528
and now i am 100% sure i am gettin my kit on friday or saturday (prob sat cuz i gotta go see 2fast2furious).... cuz now i got the money... YAY.... is there anything i should get besides the kit?? im not gettin my new radio or engine till i get up to whistler or on the way up there... i know that i should get the kit, one way lube, grease, i have thread lock... umm... should i just get the stuff that it says on the i-manual?? and do i need anything else??and do i need anything else for the battery pack?? and what battery pack should i get??
could someone please help me out??
supra528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 02:11 PM   #1627
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Cool

You will need a charger for that battery pack.

PUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 02:26 PM   #1628
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by supra528
could someone please help me out??
The manual covers it, I think. Can't think of anything else I needed - oh, perhaps fuel line to set the break position, as the fuel line included isn't so long as to be able to cut a piece off.

Have you got a glow plug starter? A tool to change the glow plug? Hudy setup station and a MIPS tweak station are nice to have. Lots of tyres and wheels :-)

Cheers, Mark.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:28 PM   #1629
Tech Regular

yah.. i have most of the basics there... im gettin the setup stuff in vancouver ... wat about the tool to change wheels... for the wheel nuts... and do i need a piston locker for the engine to put on the flywheel?? and when do i know when to stop turning the pilot shaft??
supra528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 02:33 PM   #1630
Tech Elite

Hmm, good question! I can't remember what I used to affix the flywheel! Must have been a small spanner. Just turn it hand tight - not too hard, as you don't want to damage anything. I didn't use a piston locker - you don't need to apply that much force.

To change the wheels I use a 7mm socket.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:35 PM   #1631
Tech Elite

I know what it was, it's the tool I use to take the glow plug out. It has 4 different socket sizes: 6mm, 8mm, 10mm and 12mm
Old 06-03-2003, 02:39 PM   #1632
Tech Master

Quote:
I was wondering if it'd be race legal. I'm not sure I'll turn it on, as if I can't use it in a race, then I'd prefer not to use it when practicing or else I may not learn how to break properly without the electronics doing some work for me.

I must say, there are some really good articles on MYTSN. In total there are about 3500 articles written since 1999 - I'll skip on the non-english and germans ones, though - although Dutch is almost understandable
ABS braking is perfectly legal for use here. Like Accord mentioned most high speed digital servos will work fine although there is a company in Germany that produces an actual ABD servo specifically designed for the job. Cant remember the name though.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 02:40 PM   #1633
Tech Elite

As for battery pack: If you can solder, then make one up for your self: I used 750mAh AA cells and got enough to make two battery packs.

Also a charger which can charge your starter box, radio handset and 705 battery pack at the sametime is essential, otherwise it'll take a day for you to recharge everything!!!!!!!!!! My radio handset takes 10 hours to charge (I've got 1600mAh batteries in it), the 705 pack takes 5 hours and I've got two packs, so that's another 10 hours and the starter box has two battery packs which on a fast charge take an hour each.

Money well spent!
Old 06-03-2003, 02:42 PM   #1634
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
ABS braking is perfectly legal for use here. Like Accord mentioned most high speed digital servos will work fine although there is a company in Germany that produces an actual ABD servo specifically designed for the job. Cant remember the name though.
Well I'll be! Right on my door step and I never knew
I've not studied the rules yet, as I won't be racing until the end of the season - what to get more practice in before getting on the circuit.
Which rules are you running to?
Old 06-03-2003, 02:46 PM   #1635
Tech Fanatic

ABS is illegal for racing in ROAR, IFMAR, and nearly every other large organization out there. It is also illegal at most large events that aren't sanctioned by ROAR or another organization.