R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-27-2003, 02:13 PM   #1546
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by fmolzer
You can do both, but obviously the purpose bulit solid rear axle carries less rotating mass than a locked up diff does. The Impact solid fits perfect on the impulse / 705. Need to use the impact dogbones with it, and the 46 tooth pulley (unless you gear the car down all around).
Yes, that is correct. But I think the stock 705 already comes with rear dogbones that are as thick and as long as the ones from Impact. I may be wrong but I think that is the only way you can use the ball diff (which is a copy of the Impact ball diff) in the 705.

Well, the stock dogbones that come with the 705 are not made of Hudy spring steel though...
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 02:16 PM   #1547
Tech Prophet

Hey Frederick, I hear you and Andrew are now into 1/5th scale. Is that correct?
Old 05-27-2003, 02:25 PM   #1548
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Hey Frederick, I hear you and Andrew are now into 1/5th scale. Is that correct?
I'm into 1/5 scale .
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 03:02 PM   #1549
Tech Regular

1/5 scale F1:s to be exact. Andrew and I have talked about how cool it would be to race open wheel cars for a long time and this opportunity presented itself out of the blue. I think we will be doing the Nationals in NC as well in July. These cars are absolutely awesome to drive and race, highly recommend you to tr,. and, as a bonus (and to our surprise) you can race these cars on just about the same budget that you would with the 1/10 sedans.
fmolzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 03:03 PM   #1550
Tech Regular

Accord, where do I know you from?
fmolzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 03:24 PM   #1551
Tech Master

Quote:
You can do both, but obviously the purpose bulit solid rear axle carries less rotating mass than a locked up diff does. The Impact solid fits perfect on the impulse / 705. Need to use the impact dogbones with it, and the 46 tooth pulley (unless you gear the car down all around).
So does the Yokomo solid axle and it is slightly lighter than the Serpent ones. But you have to change the bearings as the Serpent ones dont fit on the Yokomo shaft. Different Inner Diameter.
But the hassle is worth it. The Yokomo Rear Gear is 46T and is the same pitch as the Serpent. Same with the front pulley. The are also a lot cheaper.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 03:48 PM   #1552
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord

Quote:
Accord, where do I know you from?
I'm very active on the www.rctek.com 1/5 scale forums, that's probably what you're thinking of.
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 08:12 PM   #1553
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
So does the Yokomo solid axle and it is slightly lighter than the Serpent ones. But you have to change the bearings as the Serpent ones dont fit on the Yokomo shaft. Different Inner Diameter.
But the hassle is worth it. The Yokomo Rear Gear is 46T and is the same pitch as the Serpent. Same with the front pulley. The are also a lot cheaper.
modellor, thanks for the info I noticed that the stock Yokomo GT-4 has the same internal drive ratio (2). I was thinking of putting the high response pulley set from the Yokomo to lower the internal drive ratio of the 705 to 2.555. Just a thought Maybe just the 18T brake pulley (am I correct?). Can this be done? Are the 2 speed main shaft and the middle shaft the same diameter as the Serpent's? I believe the 705 has a 6 mm diameter on both shafts. How are the Yokomo pulleys mounted on the shaft? Is it by using pins instead of grub screws to lock the pulleys on the shaft?

The high response pulley set comes with 26T front side pulley and a 16T rear side pulley. However, when using this, I notice that this will give a slight overdrive to the front and in order to run a 1:1 overdrive, you need to run a 3 mm split. Is this correct?

I'll probably need the 26T pulley from Yokomo as the Serpent ones (from 1/8th scale) only goes up to 25T. As for the 16T pulley, it is available from Serpent.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:16 PM   #1554
Tech Prophet

Quote:
1/5 scale F1:s to be exact. Andrew and I have talked about how cool it would be to race open wheel cars for a long time and this opportunity presented itself out of the blue. I think we will be doing the Nationals in NC as well in July. These cars are absolutely awesome to drive and race, highly recommend you to tr,. and, as a bonus (and to our surprise) you can race these cars on just about the same budget that you would with the 1/10 sedans.
The F1 cars are super cool But the thing is to get one, it cost a bomb I think where you save compared to 1/10 scale (or 1/8th scale for that matter) is in the cost of fuel, tires and less breakage of parts on the 1/5th scale. But who's gonna play with us?
Old 05-27-2003, 08:30 PM   #1555
Tech Master

The main layshaft and the short shaft are the same width on the Yokomo and Serpent. I actually have the Ti hybrid Yokomo/Serpent shaft made by Smitty to allow me to run the Serpent gearbox on the Yokomo with the Centax.

The Yokomo pulleys are held on by pins and e-clips. The biggest problem with installing the 18T brake pulley would be getting the brake disc mounted. The Yokomo disc mounted on 4 pins which are pushed into the pulley and sit a lot closer to the brake calipers than the Serpent. You would need to be sure they fit the same. I'll check when I strip my 705 down tomorrow.

I never actually got trying the high response set but I'll run the numbers through the calculator and see what comes up. The slight overdrive is good for running the solid axle anyway so that is an added bonus for me.

You probably will need the Yokomo 26T Pulley too as the Serpent 25T would give you even more overdrive to the front end which might be too much.

When I get more info I'll let you know.

Modellor.

By the way. 1:5th scale here is very costly. Shells cost over $100 and to compete in the Top 3 you are killing 2 sets of front and rear tires each meeting at $100 per set. With some of the hacks we have in 1:5th shells sometimes dont last 5mins before getting destroyed. Way to pricey. I would rather run 1:8th at International Level for a year. Would be a lot cheaper. lol.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 08:58 PM   #1556
Tech Prophet

Thanks for the reply. I just went to the Yokomo site and indeed like what you mentioned the pulleys and mounted the same method as the old Impulse

Yes, the 25T does give a higher front overdrive. Something like a split of 5 mm between front and rear. But then again, I'm actually trying to find out what it is like to run smaller front tires than the rear while still being on a 1:1 overdrive on the 705. A solid rear and a lola VDS body would complete it as being a mini version of the 1/8th scale

Looking forward to your findings. Thanks again
Old 05-27-2003, 09:14 PM   #1557
Tech Prophet

Default Purple O ring set + Foam Insert

Last night, I tried putting on the Purple O ring set (909407) on all 4 shocks of the 705. I actually don't know the reason why they provided the shims. It seems after installation, the shock shaft movement is a little bit smoother.

While I was working on the shocks, I decided to put in some foam inserts at the shock caps to mimic the one Serpent has under part number 909447. I cut it around the same diameter as the shock cap hole and about 4 mm in length which is about the length I can guess from the pictures on mytsn.

Incidently, on a different note, I had to use google's web cache the other day to search for the 909446 part number which is the soft rubber membranes and the foam inserts set. Don't know why mytsn pulled that out. Now, google's web caches don't have it either. Anyway, I saved the picture but I don't have it here with me. RCCarinternational still list that part number as available though.

Whatever the differences that I can see and feel, I need to test it out on the track. Small differences can feel big on the track. Can't wait to test it out

Last edited by InitialD; 05-27-2003 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:09 AM   #1558
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default Left or Right Handed?

Hi Guys,

Do any of you right handed guys using a transmitter unit with steering wheel, control the throttle with your right hand and steer with your left?

I've been experimenting and it just feels more natural to control the throttle and break with my right hand - even though the controller is setup for this to be controlled by the left hand.

Am I the only one?

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 12:19 AM   #1559
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via AIM to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via Yahoo to DOMOisCOOL

Since Im right handed, I throttle/brake with my left hand, and steer with my right. More natural to me.
DOMOisCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 12:44 AM   #1560
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Left or Right Handed?

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
Hi Guys,

Do any of you right handed guys using a transmitter unit with steering wheel, control the throttle with your right hand and steer with your left?

I've been experimenting and it just feels more natural to control the throttle and break with my right hand - even though the controller is setup for this to be controlled by the left hand.

Am I the only one?

Cheers, Mark.
Mark, you could probably try swapping the controls of your servos from your Tx menu and use the trigger as your steering and the steering knob as your throttle... See if you can drive better

But seriously, if you so incline and comfortable to use the other way around like what lefties do, then carry on