R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-25-2003, 10:37 AM   #1531
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
I didn't realise the 1/8ths had a solid rear axel - that'd explain the breaking, then :-) Wouldn't a solid axle lead to understeer due to the car being pushed out?? Why do they have solid rears?
Well, that's racing. There are ups and downs. Unfortunately, nobody likes the downs

Ah, 1/8th scale cost a lot of money. If you have the time and the track to race them on, then it's good.

Yes, 1/8th scale uses solid rear axle most of the time. For what reason? Not too sure but I think it may be due to the shear power the engine is able to put down to the tires. It needs all the traction it can get on power. That is why the rear tires are also huge.

With a solid rear, you get a lot of on power steering. Off power steering may be lacking due to the solid rear preventing the left and the right wheels from rotating at different rates. You compensate that with different settings on the car to get more off power steering. And yes, the one way front diff (always on a 1/8th scale) helps to balance out the solid rear.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 11:28 AM   #1532
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Yup, unfortunately I only get to see them on video tapes... Many moons later that is if I'm lucky

Ummm, you seem to have given quite a comprehensive report. I believe yours could have been very received on mytsn. Even rivals race report comments from Mike Myers who have been doing it many years. Cheers and thanks for the short report.
I would post my report on mytsn, but the accuracy of the report may conflict with what really happend :-) To post a real race report, I would have had access to the timming information etc.

To see this stuff live is amazing. You can really see the difference between the good guys and the pros. The pros got on the gas earlier in the corners and were on the limit. The also-rans looked clumsy in comparison - these were the local guys who could race well.
Seeing the pros coming out of a corner with the rear wheels just say breaking traction lap after lap was amazing, and something you unfortunately don't see on the TV :-((
For years I watched F1 races on the TV and then for a couple of years I was a photographer on the circuit - it was amazing the difference of being there and watch it on TV. On TV the drivers all seemed to be about as good as each other, but at the track you could see who was sliding the car through the corner and who was making little mistakes - the impression of driving talent was much higher.
That was the same today!

As for expense - I can believe that 1/8th is expensive - it seems to be the F1 of RC car racing. What I've already spent on 1/10th is quite expensive, too! Certainly more than what I expected - tyres and fuel alone aren't cheap. To have an accident :-((( $$$$ :-((((

There was one absolutely huge accident today at the circuit - it was really shocking to see.
The German champion (Karl-Heiz Meister) damaged his car at the end of the 100 kph straight. He quickly tried to get his car going again, but it simply spun around on the spot uncontrollably. He then tried to get the car off the circuit as other cars were bearing down on him. All he managed to do was to stick his car straight into the path of an oncoming car!!!!!!!!!!! At at least 100kph his car was t-boned!!! Wheels, shocks and other parts flew off in every direction. It happend just in front of me. The ferocity of the accident really made me jump - remembering my times on the F1 racing circuits, I wanted to look away from the carnage. But that's the great thing in RC, no one gets hurt!

I must say, the last two days were the most enjoyable days I've spent at a racing circuit. Great, great racing, lots of action and the ability to watch some of the worlds best head-to-head.

I want to see more of this :-))

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 06:42 PM   #1533
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Where is the best place to get 705 parts and hop ups online?
Old 05-25-2003, 10:10 PM   #1534
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by tony montana
Where is the best place to get 705 parts and hop ups online?
I think we have mentioned this before. You can check out RCCarinternational but with the high US to EURO conversion, I don't think that is the best place to buy at the moment. However, I would say that they have the best collection of anything Serpent. They are based in Holland but their shipping is pretty reasonable with a flat rate charge. Takes a little longer via normal mail depending on where you are.

Other online sites that are based in US are Bruckner Hobbies, Ashford Hobby and Winner's Circle RC Gas Hobby Shop. They are probably cheaper than RCCarinternational after the EURO to US dollar conversion.
Old 05-26-2003, 07:17 AM   #1535
Tech Master

Initial D - The rear solid axle is faster than a diff. When you apply power with a diff it takes a while for the power to get put down on both rear wheels whereas a solid axle puts the power down on both wheels together. I run solid axles front and rear and against all physics and logic it actually is faster around a twisty track than running two diffs.

The braking difference between 1:8th and 1:10th is due to the width. The wider cars can brake harder as they have more perpendicular grip due to stability and larger tires. The 200mm cars can be made to brake straight under heavy braking with a front one-way also but every parameter of the suspension/tweak must be set up exact.

I honestly prefer 1:8th as they are not as temperamental to set up and a poor set up is not so recognisable as long as you are in the ballpark. I have raced both the old flat pan non-suspension 2WD 1:8ths and the modern 4WD independant suspension types and the 2WD where far more fun.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 10:42 PM   #1536
Tech Adept

Progressive Suspension

Hi guys,,

just one question,, Did anybody here, have tried the progressive suspension in the 705's ,, any specific setup for this suspension or just don't need to use it,,

Thanks in adavance!!
ciao!
paulfitipauldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 10:52 PM   #1537
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default New to nitro

I've raced Stock/Mod Sedan, Stock/Mod 1/12, Stock Buggy, etc... for about 4-5 years now. I'm looking to get into Nitro Sedan. There's 2 tracks I'd run at, both parking lots, one is I'd say 120-150' long, the other is maybe 70-100' long. I really like the centralized layout of the 705, and it's definately a car I'm considering... I'm also looking at the nTC3, but I don't know that I like the layout of it all that much... Anyways, I read a thread here comparing the 705, ntc3, Mugen, and the Yok I think it was, it said what I expected it to say "get the car your lhs supports, blah blah blah..." well, I know that's very true, but I can get parts for either car easy enough. So, I thought I'd come ask the guys who own the 705 to talk me into it, instead of the nTC3... I own 2 XRays (racing a xxxs though) and really like the designs of them, the quality of the parts, etc, etc... so I'd assume the Serpent 705 will be somewhat similar in parts quality, and share some parts like shocks, springs, sway bars (all of which I already own). So, as I said above, I'd like you guys to tell me the advantages the 705 has over the ntc3, and please be honest... if the ntc3 has advantages over this. I do understand though, that you'll all be biased towards the 705 (it's why you own it right? lol).

Thank you very much in advance!
-Jeff Choban
JeffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 11:46 PM   #1538
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Progressive Suspension

Quote:
Originally posted by paulfitipauldi
Hi guys,,

just one question,, Did anybody here, have tried the progressive suspension in the 705's ,, any specific setup for this suspension or just don't need to use it,,

Thanks in adavance!!
ciao!
Paul, are you referring the 909423 Pre-tension Springs and the 909421 Pre-tension spring cup? I'm currently having these on my Impulse PRO using red springs and black (hardest) pre-tension spring. Seems pretty OK. It's been long that I have not tried without it. It is suppose to absorb small bumps without working the entire suspension travel and this makes the car very level.

On my 705, I left it with the yellow springs that came with the kit. The springs that come with the kit are slightly longer as they come from the Veteq. Part numbers of these springs sets are as follows;

901414 White
901415 Yellow
901416 Red
901417 Blue

Softest is white and hardest is blue. Therefore, if you need to get extra springs, make sure you get the Veteq ones and not the shorter old ones.

The older ones bear these part numbers (909414 Orange, 909415 White, 909416 Yellow, 909417 Red and 909418 Blue) are slightly shorter.

For example, the differences between the white springs from normal and from Veteq are as follows;

Veteq White Spring
Wire Diameter 1.50 mm
Length 30.00 mm

Normal White Spring
Wire Diameter 1.60 mm
Length 27.30 mm

The Veteq springs are suppose to give you more progressive feeling to the suspension. That is the reason why I have not tried it in the 705 as they seem to work out fine. If I have nothing to do, I'll play around with these progressive pre-tension springs futher.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:20 AM   #1539
Tech Prophet

Default Re: New to nitro

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffC
I've raced Stock/Mod Sedan, Stock/Mod 1/12, Stock Buggy, etc... for about 4-5 years now. I'm looking to get into Nitro Sedan. There's 2 tracks I'd run at, both parking lots, one is I'd say 120-150' long, the other is maybe 70-100' long. I really like the centralized layout of the 705, and it's definately a car I'm considering... I'm also looking at the nTC3, but I don't know that I like the layout of it all that much... Anyways, I read a thread here comparing the 705, ntc3, Mugen, and the Yok I think it was, it said what I expected it to say "get the car your lhs supports, blah blah blah..." well, I know that's very true, but I can get parts for either car easy enough. So, I thought I'd come ask the guys who own the 705 to talk me into it, instead of the nTC3... I own 2 XRays (racing a xxxs though) and really like the designs of them, the quality of the parts, etc, etc... so I'd assume the Serpent 705 will be somewhat similar in parts quality, and share some parts like shocks, springs, sway bars (all of which I already own). So, as I said above, I'd like you guys to tell me the advantages the 705 has over the ntc3, and please be honest... if the ntc3 has advantages over this. I do understand though, that you'll all be biased towards the 705 (it's why you own it right? lol).

Thank you very much in advance!
-Jeff Choban
Jeff, both NTC3 and the 705 are competitive in their own right. Noth cars are quick. The Mugen included. However, among the 3 cars, I would say that the 705 is the most durable. Not because I'm biased but because it is. I think you would also agree the same with the XRay which is also built like a tank. The smoothest drive train would however be the shaft driven NTC3. But then, smooth drivetrain is not all good. A belt driven car which gives somekind of drag on the drivetrain is instrumental in giving a better car handling characteristic. Due to drag on the car, the weight transfer to the front off power and you get steering. You need to be an excellent driver when you drive the NTC3. The car can go very fast on a straight line but most of the times when you're not careful, you'll overshoot the corner.

Advantages of the 705? More durable. Settings do not run off when you get hit by another car of if you happen to brush off the sidewalls. Also, you need to consider the amount of factory support through the forums on the mytsn website that you can get. I bet you have already got first hand experience driving the XRay where factory team drivers and drivers. Also, with the 705, nothing needs to be hopped up. You just need to concentrate ont he setup and maybe use the money for tires and maybe different spurs and pinions for different tracks. The car comes stock with a low internal ratio which is great for long tracks like the one in Ohio. For shorter tracks, you need to get optional internal pulleys (3 in fact) in order to get a higher internal drive ratio.

Disadvantages of the 705? Belt drive. I say this is an advantage but some see if otherwise. Only the rear diffs are tunable like the NTC3.

As for advantages and disadvantages of the NTC3, just hop over to the NTC3 thread They are currently discussing some interesting things there.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:41 AM   #1540
Tech Elite

I can only agree with InitialD on the durability front!

My last accident was massive! Destroyed all the wheels on the car + the exhaust. Replaced everything last night and checked my car on the Hudy setup station and the camber, toe-in, etc was still spot on!!!!!
I was amazed that I didn't need to adjust anything after the accident - I was actually surprised the car had survived!!! :-)

I'm very happy with my purchase, I also thought about the Mugen, but due to the LHS and local driver support I went for the 705. Now I think I made the right decision: just look at all the info and support you can get from www.mytsn.com

Cheers, Mark.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:47 AM   #1541
Tech Regular

ya, LHS support is important! if u get a car wif no support from ur LHS, u gonna hv a hard time

p.s i luv my 705!!!
taz5176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 08:48 AM   #1542
Tech Regular

Yes, Mark thanks for the report, post it on mytsn too, it is very informative and well written. As for solid rears, the main advantage is that you never loose power due to an unloading tire, and no, a solid will cause the car to be more biased to oversteer rather than under steer. It does require a track with good to great traction to drive with a solid, but it is also being used in the 705 all the time, I used one in my last big race, and if the traction is good enough for it, there is no better way around the track.
fmolzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 01:02 PM   #1543
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord

When you guys are talking about a solid rear axle/diff, do you mean you actually put a true solid axle/diff in the car or do you just tighten the diff up to the point where it is locked? I wasn't aware there was a solid rear axle/diff setup for the 705 like the one on the 950.

Thanks
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 01:31 PM   #1544
Tech Regular

You can do both, but obviously the purpose bulit solid rear axle carries less rotating mass than a locked up diff does. The Impact solid fits perfect on the impulse / 705. Need to use the impact dogbones with it, and the 46 tooth pulley (unless you gear the car down all around).
fmolzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 01:34 PM   #1545
Tech Elite

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words about my quick Bamberg report. I've posted my full report on mytsn:

http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publmem.asp?pid=8129

Cheers,

Mark.