R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-24-2003, 01:04 PM   #1516
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default Never ending story of spinning under breaking ;-)

Hi Guys,

I think I've eventually found the reason for my 705 spinning under breaking. I'd checked all the things mentioned here: tweak, setup, break settings, downstops etc. to no avail.

Tonight, however, I was playing with the downstops and I noticed that the right-hand rear suspension arms wouldn't actually press down onto the downstop screw unless I added some force of my own!!! Comparing the left-hand side, the suspension arms move a little smoother and with less force!!!

I separated the upper and lower wishbones, to see which one wasn't moving freely, but to my surprise, they both move very easily!!! It's only when they are fastened together (with the ball arrangement in the upper wishbone and the long screw) that the suspension arms no longer move freely.

So, somehow, the ball part in the upper wishbone seems to be restricting the movement of the suspension. I shall order some new parts and hopefully fix this problem!!!

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 01:54 PM   #1517
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via AIM to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via Yahoo to DOMOisCOOL

Hey guys I don't know if my 705 is supposed to do this but whenever I push my car backwards(engine off) it doesn't move. Is it supposed to be like this? My friend said I tightened down my Rear diff too much causing it to lock.
DOMOisCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 02:01 PM   #1518
Tech Elite

Hi DOMOisCOOL,

The car should move backwards - make sure that the break isn't engaged first of all.

Someone else will have to give their oppinion about diff tightness, but with mine, if I take a hold of the rear wheels (left wheel left hand; right wheel right hand) you should be able to rotate them fairly easily in opposite directions.

Check your break setup before having to dismantle the rear end.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 05-24-2003, 02:23 PM   #1519
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via AIM to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via Yahoo to DOMOisCOOL

Thanks Mark.

I dont think its the diff because I tried your technique and it was moving freely. When I push the car backwards, It moves but not as smoothly as going forward.
Old 05-24-2003, 02:29 PM   #1520
Tech Elite

Your welcome!

Mine was a little stiff at first, before I had the engine running, so it may be nothing.
Have you ran your engine at all - this will get all the drive train running and may well loosen things up a little.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 05-24-2003, 02:34 PM   #1521
Tech Master

Im on my 3rd tank of break-in.

Still waiting for the weawther to get warmer .
Old 05-24-2003, 02:45 PM   #1522
Tech Elite

Come over to Germany! It was very warm here today :-))))
I was watching the German Grand Prix (1/8th EFRA) today. Michael Salven and the like are racing. Watching these guys is just jaw dropping - the level of skill is beyond what I can ever hope to achieve.

Its the race proper tomorrow :-) I'll be on the track side, in the sun, enjoying a nice cool German beer and cheering on Serpent ;-)))))))))

Cheers, Mark.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:20 PM   #1523
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Never ending story of spinning under breaking ;-)

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
Hi Guys,

Tonight, however, I was playing with the downstops and I noticed that the right-hand rear suspension arms wouldn't actually press down onto the downstop screw unless I added some force of my own!!! Comparing the left-hand side, the suspension arms move a little smoother and with less force!!!
Strange. If you followed the tip to check the downstops using the tweakstation that I gave, you would have somehow detected the anomaly. The left side rear wheel would indicate itself as being heavier as the right hand rear side of the wheel never gets to droop their arms fully and easily. Let us know how it turns out.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 10:25 PM   #1524
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by DOMOisCOOL
Hey guys I don't know if my 705 is supposed to do this but whenever I push my car backwards(engine off) it doesn't move. Is it supposed to be like this? My friend said I tightened down my Rear diff too much causing it to lock.
If you're still on the 3rd tank, the car may still be new and some things could still be binding.

On mine, the car slides slightly easier when pushed forward then when pushed backwards. I think it has something got to do with the brakes binding. On mine, I set a little brake drag. After a while, the forward motion would seem to be smoother and stops more progressively as the brake pad wears in. When the car moves in a reversed motion, different parts of the brake pad kicks in and hence the backward motion doesn't seem to be smooth. There should be nothing to worry about.
Old 05-25-2003, 01:17 AM   #1525
Tech Elite

Hi InitialD,

You're right, it would have shown up. I was just checking the downstops to see if they were set equally before I tried your method. For the first time, I left the shocks attached as I did the measurement - I was thinking I'd better check that the shocks push the suspension arms down onto the stops when the car is on the huddy blocks. That's when I saw that the right arm wasn't being pushed down onto the downstop.

I can only think that the upper-arm got damaged somehow during the insertion of the ball part - the arm by itself moves nice and freely (as does the lower-arm), it is only when I attached them witht the screw and ball part that there is more resistance than there should be.

After watching the EFRA 1/8th guys yesterday and how much they could use the breaks (also with one-way diffs), I knew that something was wrong with my car.

I'm off in a few minutes to see the lead-up to the race :-) Looks like rain here!!! Boy, that should spice things up a bit ;-))

BTW, InitialD, Michael says hi!!! ;-))))
Old 05-25-2003, 08:22 AM   #1526
Tech Prophet

Quote:
After watching the EFRA 1/8th guys yesterday and how much they could use the breaks (also with one-way diffs), I knew that something was wrong with my car.
Say Hi back to him

Yes, 1/8th scale is probably different as with a solid rear axle, you can brake better and much harder.

Hey, maybe you could give us some kind of report back over there.

I also wonder if the 705 is represented in the Texas Biggie currently on going in the same weekend namely nizee, Pit-Racer and Punisher... I don't see any Team Serpent USA in the 200 mm category.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:45 AM   #1527
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by DOMOisCOOL
i encounter this problem this afternoon. my 2nd speed clutch cause the problem. i loosen the screws too much, causing no tension on the springs. maybe u can check this area too, if so, tighten the clutch screws & readjust ur 2nd speed engage timing
hope this helps
taz5176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 09:06 AM   #1528
Tech Elite

Hi InitialD,

I can give a form of a report, but the race was so wild that it'd be impossible to say what really went on ;-))

First and second positions were taken by Daniele Ielasi from Italy and Oliver Mack from Germany. During the warm-up for the final, Michael Salven almost destroyed his car at the end of the 100kph straight. I believe he was all set to start in 4th place, but with only a couple of minutes to the start of the race, there was no way he was going to make his starting position. I'm not sure what he broke on the car, but there were shards of plastic everywhere!!!!

At the start, Mack quickly got past Ielasi into the lead - these two guys were the class of the field today, both turning in low 16 second laps. The two quickly started to pull a gap on the rest of the field.
Salven got back into the race several minutes and many laps down - which was in itself a job well done!!!

Not long into the race, during lapping of back markers, Ielasi got involved in an accident with a slower car spinning both cars onto the grass. Unable to regain the circuit without outside assistance, he lost a lot of time to Mack.
Mack himself was driving a demonstration race, with seemingly all other contenders (exception Ielasi) making small mistakes and only helping Mack.
Then on the drive into the long, super fast straight, a backmaker crashed in the curve - with no where to go, Mack ploughed head on into the happless driver. Mack was able to continue, but he had now serious handling problems and he was soon into the pits. After a short stop, where it seems some body work was removed, Mack once again regain the track. It was obvious that the car still had problems as it couldn't take right handers without understeering out. After another coming together (further adding to the handling problems), Mack came in once more - this time for a very long pit stop and putting him well out of contention.

This left a second German driver (driving a Kyosho) with a comfortable lead - I think his name was Peach. This guy had been impressive all weekend with his very smooth and consistant driving style. Not untimately the quickest of the drivers over a single lap, he was able to maintain a high pace and seldom make mistakes. I timed him during pratice over 16 laps, each lap was either 16.5 or 16.6 - incredible!!!!

Mack eventually rejoined the race many laps down, but now with his car back in full working order. Even though they were both out of contention for a win, Ielasi and Mack continued to be the pace setters of the race.
On pace, Mack was not to be beaten - 16.3s 16.4s being the norm. Ielasi was also in the same ball park, but not quite so often.
Having said that, Ielasi was the smoother driver of the two and only the leader (all be it at a slower pace looked more composed on the circuit.

No further incidents occured through the race, leaving the Kyosho driven car to take the laurels.

To have the chance to see drivers of this quality racing cars at such speed was a great thrill.

What was really aparent was how equal the cars where, be it Kyosho, Mugen, Serpent or Slide - it all came down to the driver at the end of the day.

If you get a chance to see this level of competition...go and see it!!!!

Cheers, Mark.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:19 AM   #1529
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Say Hi back to him

Yes, 1/8th scale is probably different as with a solid rear axle, you can brake better and much harder.

Hey, maybe you could give us some kind of report back over there.

I also wonder if the 705 is represented in the Texas Biggie currently on going in the same weekend namely nizee, Pit-Racer and Punisher... I don't see any Team Serpent USA in the 200 mm category.
I didn't dare speak to Michael after his big accident - didn't quite look like he wanted to talk =8-o ;-)

I didn't realise the 1/8ths had a solid rear axel - that'd explain the breaking, then :-) Wouldn't a solid axle lead to understeer due to the car being pushed out?? Why do they have solid rears?

I'd certainly like to see some 1/10ths being raced by the pros now - would be interesting to see how they compare.

I'd certainly invest in a 1/8th once my driving and experience improves, but as for now, my hand are full with the 1/10th :-)

Cheers, Mark.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:28 AM   #1530
Tech Prophet

Quote:
If you get a chance to see this level of competition...go and see it!!!!
Yup, unfortunately I only get to see them on video tapes... Many moons later that is if I'm lucky

Ummm, you seem to have given quite a comprehensive report. I believe yours could have been very received on mytsn. Even rivals race report comments from Mike Myers who have been doing it many years. Cheers and thanks for the short report.