12 engines

Old 11-27-2005, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I have not run a Richey modded motor, but I have run against them and I just got one yesterday. Based upon what i have owned and raced against (Rody, JP, Murnan, Hotmod) the Richey engines and the Hotmods are the best. The rody was pretty good and the murnan was not good. I am about the only guy that didn't like the murnan, but I didn't. The Rossi tuned novarossis are also very very good, but are probably the most difficult to get. Get a Nova N12LS3 hotmod, or if you want a CNC piston engine then get a Mugen X12 and let Dennis Richey work on it.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

I am going to expand a little bit as I have been through a lot of engines. I got into nitro onroad 21 months ago. The used car package I purchased has a Sirio Evo 1 engine with it. It was a squealing pig... Very slow.

I got a new Novarossi NS12S3A1. This was a big improvement. Pretty darn fast. I eventually wore it out, I replace the P/S and then sold it. Since then I have owned and run the following in order the best I can remember:

Top TSR 12 S3 tuned/hotmod: This engine rips. I still have it. It put me into the A main at my first Paris race. I also put this engine in for the B main of the RD Logics race and bumped to a 3rd place A main finish. Great engine.

JP Mugen X12: This engine was just average. I ran this engine and won the inaugural Las Vegas Winter Wind-up. I sold it after this race. I ran it because I didn't want to put extra mileage on my best engine.

Stock Mugen X12: This is a good engine for a stocker. I kept it so I would have a stocker to race club races with. I have had so many mods and so few club races I ended up not running a whole lot. I just sold it with my MTX3. I put in that deal to sweeten it up and sell my old car.

RB V12 Rody: This engine also fell into that average range. I kept it a little longer than my JP Mugen, but it was about the same. I think it had a little less bottom and a little more top end than the JP Mugen, but they were very close.

Novarossi RR12L3 hotmod: I got this one and I never really liked it. No top end. I kept gearing it taller and taller and taller and it never seemed to get faster, I just finally killed the bottom end. The only positive was that it seemed to get better mileage than my other engines. I finally gave up on this one and sold it.

Murnan Mugen X12: I got this one at the same time as the Nova RR12. I had very high hopes for this engine as everyone speaks very highly of Uriah. He is a nice guy. I put more time with breakin and tuning of this engine than any of my previous engines. It was very disappointing. It got the worst mileage and had the least power of any engine I have owned except that very first Sirio. I ran it at the RD race here in vegas, and tried it again at the Airtronics race at Revelation. Ran out of gas at both tracks (only made 4 mins here in Vegas) was slow and ran as warm as I could. Averaged about 240 degrees. I don't know if I was doing something wrong, but I was happy to sell it.

Novarossi N12LS3 hotmod: This engine is very fast. It took me about 17 months to find something that was as fast or faster than my original Tuned TSR, but this is. I ran this at the Great Lakes Challenge. Plenty of horsepower and made 5 mins. I still have this engine.

JP FXT-03M: This engine at first I was a little disappointed. I ran this at the Fusion race at Revelation. There was only one car that could pull me noticeably but it wasn't any faster than anyone else either. I decided to give it another try in testing when I got home. I had it overgeared. This engine seems to like to rev more than my other engines. I now have about 3/4 gallon through it. It is a little lighter on the bottom end, but I can adjust my clutch to make it good. It will rev up well. Because of the higher revving I am concerned about runtime, but I will find out soon. It did make runtime at Revelation, but I was a little overgeared there and that track is easier to make runtime on than my home track or teh Toledo track. I still have this engine and my guess is that I will be keeping it.

Richey modded Mugen X12: I just got this one and can't comment on its performance yet but I will say why I got it. I said in the previous engine description that there was one engine that was noticeably faster than mine. It was a Richey modded OS TZ 12 owned by a friend of mine. He also told me his Richey modded Mugen X12 was a little faster. He doesn't use it because he said he struggles to make runtime with it. He still ran out of gas with his OS anyway. I figured I am a little easier on the trigger than him, and I have engines that will make runtime, I want maximum horsepower. Plus with my sponsors I want to only run Mugen, JP or Novarossi branded engines. I am going to hopefully run it this week. I have one tank of gas through it.

Novarossi N12LL3 tuned/hotmod: I have seen a lot of people that are not in love with the N12LL3. While that does scare me a little, there is 2 hotmod versions of this engine here in Vegas that are quite fast. That coupled with the fact that my first Rossi tuned engine was great I was willing to purchase this engine. I haven't taken this out of the box yet as I only got it on Tuesday.

I have not owned another Sirio nor have I owned one of the new OS engines. I have raced against Murnan Sirio Evo at the Great Lakes race. It was good, but not as good as my N12. The new OS engine is quite fast. I don't think it is quite as good as the nova engines, but it isn't far off. They are a lot cheaper and the parts are very cheap as well.

One thing I have noticed when people talk online is this: Everyone seems to have an OS engine that they only paid $179 for. It already has 3 gallons of fuel through it and has never gone about 210 degrees. Of course it will pull all the Rody's, JP's and other modded engines. When you finally race these people in person now they can't keep up. The only really good OS I ever saw was a modded (EB I think) that Ron Atomic was using. They are good engines, but not quite up to the Novarossi based engines. Probably best value out there, but I want ultimate performance. There are people out there that are just better than I am. I need the best equipment to give me any advantage I can get.

These have been my findings and observations.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Where cam I get those modified engines(Richey,Hotmods or Murnan)? What are their websites?
Old 11-27-2005, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

I don't think that Dennis Richey has a website, but he is on the forums quite a bit. He posts under the name of motorman and seems to a great guy. He has been around doing this a lot longer than I have. He is the RD logics team manager. Try sending a PM to motorman. He is on this thread looking right now as I am posting this response. Hotmods are by Jim Hottinger. His company is Fusion Motorsports. Fusion is the only USA authorized importer for Novarossi. I believe that Nitrohouse carries hotmod engines. You can call fusion directly and ask Jim where to get one of his modded engines. I don't remember Uriah Murnans web address, but he has a thread here on RC tech. Murnan modified engines. Be prepared to spend $350-$400 dollars for a novarossi based modified engine. They are expensive, but horsepower is a lot of fun.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Richey is AKA Motorman send him a PM
Old 11-27-2005, 09:26 PM
Tech Champion

I m currently running on NSR5 wit novarossi turbo inline pipe,did wonders!
now i m thinking of getting a 3ports engine wit ofcoz the suitable pipe,can anybody suggest what is better to get?
Old 11-28-2005, 12:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MAVICXXX
I m currently running on NSR5 wit novarossi turbo inline pipe,did wonders!
now i m thinking of getting a 3ports engine wit ofcoz the suitable pipe,can anybody suggest what is better to get?
Where are you from?

There are a lot of good pipes. There is an RD pipe that is pretty good and not too expensive. The Mugen pipe is also quite good. The JP pipe with the conical manifold is good as well. The Mugen and JP are both available on the mugen racing website. I bet Dennis will chime in and tell you which RD is the popular one.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:45 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
Where are you from?

There are a lot of good pipes. There is an RD pipe that is pretty good and not too expensive. The Mugen pipe is also quite good. The JP pipe with the conical manifold is good as well. The Mugen and JP are both available on the mugen racing website. I bet Dennis will chime in and tell you which RD is the popular one.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Thax for the PIPE tips,but what 3ports?> LS3?LL3?me stil trust d nova base,but if anybody would suggest somthg else,might consider it too..
Old 11-28-2005, 12:52 AM
Tech Elite

N12LS3
Old 11-28-2005, 12:55 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
N12LS3
u saw it performs or u got 1?me thinkin of it too but LHS only got LL3,how is it?by d way,best pipe to fit wit d LS3?to giv more power on my X4 ofcoz..
Old 11-28-2005, 01:06 AM
Tech Elite

I have only seen a modified version run which I have. It is very good. The LL seems to be easier to find, but the people that have seen both run in stock and modified form all seem to prefer the LS. I have seen stock and modifed versions of the LL and my LS is the only LS I have seen run on the track.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wendellc1
The Sirio engines are fast, but the crank shaft is weak. Mine lasted 2 gallons. Go with the new Nova engines.
My Sirio is a fast motor no doubt. But some MAJOR problems with them.

1. Cranks break VERY easily. I know of many cases of crank breakage. Usually it totals the motor when it lets go.

2. Their customer support is absolutely pathetic. The EVO2 WCR were detected as having a particularly weak crank even for a sirio. I had just purchased one for a VERY nice chunk of change, around $380. The dealer asked me to send him the crank which I did. 6 months pass, I get angry at the dealer, the dealer basically tells me I will get it when I get it, I buy myself ANOTHER crank at $90. So $470 for a WCR? I dont think so.

If I had of bought myself a Novarossi I would not have needed customer support. The one time I did on the Nova the dealer sorted me out within 1 week. Compare that for service.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:58 AM
Tech Adept

The new Sirio EVO3 does not suffer from that problem. I would say that it is very reliable, if you consider that I replaced the two bearings and the conrod/pin after 12 lt (6 races with the practise on Saturday) and the engine performed really well until then. Of course I was diassembling the engine for cleaning and inspection after every meeting. After the replacement, the engine was better than before, cause the piston was really in his best shape for performance.

I am very satisfied and I would recommend this engine.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by etgdpu
The new Sirio EVO3 does not suffer from that problem. I would say that it is very reliable, if you consider that I replaced the two bearings and the conrod/pin after 12 lt (6 races with the practise on Saturday) and the engine performed really well until then. Of course I was diassembling the engine for cleaning and inspection after every meeting. After the replacement, the engine was better than before, cause the piston was really in his best shape for performance.

I am very satisfied and I would recommend this engine.
It is not true to say that the EVO 3 does not suffer from that problem, just yours has not. Not all EVO 2 cranks broke either, but Sirio quality control is less than Novarossi without a doubt. If yours is still fine then thats great luck for you.

But more importantly then the broken cranks is the stunningly bad customer service. Of course this may be just my country, but I also have corresponded directly with Italy with no success. I know of personally 4 people waiting over 6 months now for replacement cranks. How is customer service in Greece?

End of the day Sirio is same price as Novarossi, less performance than new Novarossi. Why bother to spend the money?
Old 11-28-2005, 10:18 PM
Jye
Tech Regular

where can i find the hotmod engines?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.