R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-10-2001, 07:28 PM   #31
Tech Regular

RyanS, do you think that there will be a big price difference between th X12 and the 5 port? Ther reason for the question is that i have a X12 on order at the moment........
opel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 07:42 PM   #32
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by RyanS
Hmmm...not sure I understand what you mean?

If you dissassemble the motor, you will see 2 small splitters in the crank case. These are the flow straighteners, and effectively make it a 5 port.
talking about the difference you cannot see. novarossi has kind of engine specially matched by "mario" those engines are exactly no difference with your eye balls to the rest of the standard engine. but they are freaking fast and fuel economy. pricewise, they are at least 50% higher then the standard engine.

what is the difference?
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 09:07 PM   #33
Tech Initiate

Send a message via ICQ to INITIAL D Send a message via AIM to INITIAL D Send a message via Yahoo to INITIAL D

Damn! Rb rules. I know it hookings every where!
INITIAL D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 09:34 PM   #34
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Quote:
Originally posted by RyanS
Just FYI:

If you ever have looked inside an RB X-12/Nova RS-12, you will see flow splitters on the 2 side intake ports, effectivly making the sleeve 5 port w/o actually cutting anything into the sleeves. There for, any gain you see from having ACTUAL 5 ports will be minimal, but still there.

Feel free to attack me on this post!
Correct me if I wrong... I'm into EP anyway!!

By having a flow splitter in the crank case you do not achieve the effect of 5 ports because entry into the combustion chamber is still via the single port. Does the splitter actually run across the opening in the combustion chamber? if that is the case then you may have 'cheated' the 5th port!!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 09:53 PM   #35
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by dtm

Correct me if I wrong... I'm into EP anyway!!

By having a flow splitter in the crank case you do not achieve the effect of 5 ports because entry into the combustion chamber is still via the single port. Does the splitter actually run across the opening in the combustion chamber? if that is the case then you may have 'cheated' the 5th port!!
the 5 port or higher port engine are achieving the objective of accuracy of fuel throw and flow. supposingly the higher the port the faster the fuel flow and more accuracy on the fuel throw.

my 2 cents
Old 11-10-2001, 09:57 PM   #36
Tech Regular

Manticore.......... do you think that the X12 will still do the job compared to cx12/rs12 novarossi's. That is mainly what i will be running against. Or should i look at the 5 port?
opel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 09:59 PM   #37
dtm
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore

the 5 port or higher port engine are achieving the objective of accuracy of fuel throw and flow. supposingly the higher the port the faster the fuel flow and more accuracy on the fuel throw.

my 2 cents
I thought by using more ports (but smaller) would introduce a better mixing of the air/fuel mixture as it entered the combustion chamber so that the "bang" would be cleaner and more efficent!?!
Old 11-10-2001, 10:04 PM   #38
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by dtm

I thought by using more ports (but smaller) would introduce a better mixing of the air/fuel mixture as it entered the combustion chamber so that the "bang" would be cleaner and more efficent!?!
no, the mix is done at the carb !!

the more port give the fuel short cut to the combustion chamber
Old 11-10-2001, 10:06 PM   #39
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by opel92
Manticore.......... do you think that the X12 will still do the job compared to cx12/rs12 novarossi's. That is mainly what i will be running against. Or should i look at the 5 port?
i have RB X12T, NR RS12T and RB 5 port. I have only run RB X12 at this time and it is fast. cant tell how RS12 and 5 port perform! may be i will tell you later on !
Old 11-10-2001, 10:27 PM   #40
dtm
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore

no, the mix is done at the carb !!

the more port give the fuel short cut to the combustion chamber
Primary mixing is done at the carb but would you not get mixing in the crankcase and additional mixing on entry to into combustion chamber?!
Old 11-10-2001, 10:29 PM   #41
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by dtm

Primary mixing is done at the carb but would you not get mixing in the crankcase and additional mixing on entry to into combustion chamber?!
the travel is very short under the path you mentioned. so the combution chamber's job is to burn the fuel efficiently but not mix the air/fuel.
Old 11-10-2001, 10:33 PM   #42
dtm
Tech Champion

No.. I was talking about the different port entry into the chamber helping with the mixing.
Old 11-10-2001, 10:35 PM   #43
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by dtm
No.. I was talking about the different port entry into the chamber helping with the mixing.
hahaha how can you define which port for air and which port for fuel????

I am r-tau !! kakakakaka
Old 11-10-2001, 10:41 PM   #44
dtm
Tech Champion

no no la.... air/fuel mixture passing through a port will generate turbulence (from edge effects)... more ports more points of entry so air/fuel mixture is better!
Old 11-10-2001, 10:43 PM   #45
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by dtm
no no la.... air/fuel mixture passing through a port will generate turbulence (from edge effects)... more ports more points of entry so air/fuel mixture is better!
oh well, i think i am not able to convince you here !!
but as a matter of fact, the more of the port the faster the engine but fuel consumption is bad too !!