R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-22-2005, 10:17 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to RiceEatin1995GT
Default Well, it looks like my new O.S. is finished...

I probably should have got a POS to learn on. It was still running pretty cold (170 or so) so I've been leaning it out a little more. It was still spitting out plenty of blue smoke at wide open throttle, so I leaned it out a little more. It was hauling ass, then I brought it by me, and it had a weird tone to it around idle. Didn't think much of it and took off again, still putting out blue smoke, but not AS much as it was before the adjustment. It stalled about 50 feet away.

I go to restart it and all I hear is a sound as if I was hitting the head with a screwdriver. A metal pinging sound with the pull of the starter.

When I take the glowplug out, it doesn't make the sound, just that normal hollowish popping sound, but when I put it in, all I hear is metal when I pull the starter.

There goes $100. I need to give this shit up and find another hobby.

How much would something like that cost to fix?
RiceEatin1995GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:40 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Maybe the glow plug is too long or doesn't have a shim or maybe your using the wrong fuel best to bring it to a shop and get an opion on it though before you quit.
ssc-rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:35 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Sounds like it's rather new. I doubt it is ruined already especially if you ran it rich most the time. Don't be afraid to take it apart and see if anything actually is wrong on the inside. Just take the head off and look in the bore, and take the backplate off and see if the rod is still one piece. Even if something is wrong, it may be under warranty.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:45 PM   #4
Tech Adept

OS has the best warranty in the business. If you bought your motor at your LHS just take it back to them.They should be able to send it back to OS for you.If not contact OS yourself for asistence they will be very helpful! later dude
rc racing dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 06:02 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

.....Probably bottom part of piston is broken
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:46 PM   #6
Tech Adept

I never had a problem with the glowplug before. As a matter of fact, I believe it's the one that was included with the motor.

I'd rather not tear it apart myself and fuck up anything else if I don't have to. I might take it down to the hobby shop one of these days.

I bought it online at towerhobbies.

I bought an RC10GT off a guy on here, which should be here within a week, but I'm afraid I'm going to screw that one up too. He didn't even finish breaking it in yet.

He ran it on Trinity, and I'm also going to swap it over to Blue Thunder because that's what I use on all my cars. (Rush, RS4, and the bro's RC10GT)
Old 11-22-2005, 09:49 PM   #7
Tech Regular

running it cold like 170f is just as bad as running it hot at 300f....
Doomah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:04 PM   #8
Tech Adept

I tried getting it hotter.

The header was at like 205 haha

Anyways, I decided to go ahead and take the head off. I can see where the problem is, but have no clue what it means. The top of the piston is hitting against the middle part of the head that sticks down in about 3-4mm.

Here's the pics. How much is this going to cost me? I doubt OS will take it back due to my own error.

http://dubisteinspundloch.com/100_FUJI/
Old 11-23-2005, 02:22 AM   #9
M7H
Tech Elite

Well, I don't see any problem there......
The piston looks ok, no proof of it hitting the head....

Is it stuck now in top dead centre?
You should be able to get it down, with a screwdriver, NOT on top of the piston, but try to turn the flywheel.....

Also take the engine out of the car, and remove the backplate, to check to conrod......
Old 11-23-2005, 06:27 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Nah, the piston moves fine with a pull of the starter. Goes up and down flawlessly, but somehow hits against the bottom of the head.

Must of fucked up the rod. I'll probably take it to the hobby shop and let him look at it.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:59 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

you may have just stretched the rod doing full throttle runs. have the back plate taken off and check out the rod- it probably just needs a new rod. running full nut's at 170F beats on the rod. the piston and sleeve are still really tight at that temp and the rod gets all the abuse.

200F+ is where you want to be. these little .12's seem to be OK up to 240- 250F for short periods of time. past that your not leaving yourself any margin for changing weather conditions and are generally asking for trouble.

it's real funny sometimes at the track. mains seem to be getting going just as the sun and temps are starting to go down and the tune changes about halfway through the main. same thing in the morning after practice- the heats get going just as the temps are coming up with the sun.
BYRON'S FUEL/TWISTER TIRES
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 12:15 PM   #12
Tech Master

First, don't panic. Remove the motor from the car and give it a good cleaning. You took the head off and the rest of the car is filthy. I can see sand has fallen into the cylinder already. Once the engine is out, put the head back on and try the pull start. If the sound is more like a ringing, like a bell, its most likely your clutch bell making the noise. Your flywheel and or clutch bell has loostened. Take your time and make sure you everything is clean and properly installed. It doesn't look like the piston is hitting the glog plug to me from your pictures.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 08:16 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Get all that sand out before you put the head back on!!
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 08:48 PM   #14
Tech Regular

looks like a clean engine. doesnt look anything wrong. you live near a track? go there and ask around i'm sure someone will b able to help u tune it.
Doomah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 08:54 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to FL Speed Freaks Send a message via AIM to FL Speed Freaks Send a message via MSN to FL Speed Freaks Send a message via Yahoo to FL Speed Freaks

Hey I'm also in West Palm. I work part time at radio control revolution on palm beach lakes blvd. Stop by on a friday & I'll be happy to check it out.

Thanks Jamie
FL Speed Freaks is offline   Reply With Quote