R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-30-2002, 02:57 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Best Nitro Rtr Available?

I'm really new to RC Touring, and I want to start out on the right foot. I really want a nitro touring car that is an RTR and i want to be able to kick my friends "rear-end" in a parking lot race. I dont intend on competing in any "world championship" or anything like that, but I would like to be able to hop it up pretty nicely. ((I dont mind ordering parts online))

I have been told about these following cars, please let me know the ups and downs of each one, which one do u prefer over the others and why?

1. Yokomo GT-4 RTR <=-=-=- I heard this is the best RTR
2. HPI Super Nitro RTR
3. HPI Nitro RS4 3 Type SS RTR
4. Trinity Reflex NT RTR
5. Team Associated Nitro TC3 RTR

I'm kind of leaning towards the Yokomo because I heard it goes 60MPH out of the box and all I would have to do is buy some foams to make is handle like a dream. I also heard that I can get some really nice hop ups online for the Yokomo.

PLEASE HELP ME OUT GUYS

Thank you,

OneWay (NOOBIE)
OneWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 03:53 AM   #2
Tech Regular

I own a V1rr myself, but I have seen the Yok and considered getting the GT4 pro or the GT4rtr before i made my final decison. I think if I had gone Yokomo I would have been just as pleased. Having said that, I've only heard great things about both the pro and the RTR. I dont think you can go wrong, especially if you plan on racing in the future. You can easily upgrade to the Pro spec and be race ready, and also, Yok has just recently released a 2 speed shoe type clutch and Centax for the GT4 pro/rtr, so that's gonna make the car even better once your ready to upgrade. Ultimatley I dont think you can go wrong with a Kyosho, Yokomo, or a Mugen, but since only Yokomo makes an RTR, get the Yok! Personally i would stear clear of HPI's, there not really meant for racing from what i hear (u mentioned only wanting to race friends in parking lots, but in case you change ur mind, cause u never know), so no need to go there, and the Reflex is a knock off of the V1R from what i hear, so no need to go there either. Again, if you're considering a Reflex, forget about it, why not just go to the source?, the Kyosho V1R or V1RR, why bother with cheap imitations?

But then again, im still new and am only talking from knowledge accumlulated via research, not all of this is hands on knowledge so dont take my word for it, im sure some others on the forum could give you better insights into the idiosyncracies of each car based on alot more firsthand experience.

Last edited by calimassive; 10-30-2002 at 05:57 AM.
calimassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 11:51 AM   #3
Tech Adept

RTR? w/2spd? GT-4, OB-4. Does the Kyosho come 2spd-RTR?
And the Shaft drive HPI is now in SS/RTR form? I've been out of the loop for a while. The TC3 RTR is good but comes with no 2spd.
If you want to compete in the future, get a pivot ball suspension, 2 spd, tuned pipe.
Foger Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 12:24 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

IF you want to start on the right foot, then go ahead and buy a kit and not an RTR, otherwise you'll never know how the thing works.

Trust me, I've seen a lot of RTR guys and the all started on the WRONG FOOT.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 01:40 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Smile THANK YOU FOR THE INFO GUYS!

Thanks for all your info guys. I'm really not looking in to kits because i only want to spend about $400 for everything including fuel, foams, and glow ignitor. I heard in order to get a good "kit" car, i'll have to spend more than $400 for everything.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?? Under $400??

Thank you again

OneWay
Old 10-30-2002, 07:16 PM   #6
Tech Adept

I've heard both sides to the RTR or kit question. Kind of like the debate about telescopes, do you buy the computerized "GO TO" scope or a manual one that makes you learn the constellations.
"GO TO" scopes bring newbies into the hobby.
RTR's bring newbies into the Hobby too. They didnt build their car, and many dog the heck out of that RTr and when it breaks or just dies they give up, but some make that first repair. Those are on their way, they'll have a hobby for life.
My 1st car was the Racer2 kit, freekin took over 8 months to see 1st fuel, A RTR would have got me running sooner. Without the 8 months of frustration. My 2nd was an OB4 RTR. Went right for the silicon diff oil and 50wt for the shocks. My third car: Ofnas Colt 10 onroad, a kit. Had it done in a week, he he he.

Respectfully, there are 2 sides to the KIT VS RTR debate.

Oh and let me mention the Ofna Z-10, you wont pay more than $300 for it (maybe less). It'll take the Traxxas 4-tec (not the new one) at the line in a drag race. Got to a 14-19 clutch bell and 45-40 spurs and the Z-10 goes from 48 mph to 53 mph, Port the header and cut an 1/8th of an inch off the header, by the muffler- and its 55. Get some 50 wt shock oil and the rear sway bar.

So far you have only added $28 bucks to your original outlay.

And only the Gt4 can take you in a drag race. On the track you will be handling better than any HPI RTR. My store sells a bunch of Z-10s. I usually get a customer out the door for $350 not including tax. And I dont sell mail order so i'm not trying to get some Bizz here, OK.

One more thing: Foam tires are good for a prepared surface, (sprayed with sugar water). Rubber tires will offer more precise control on you typical parking lot surface. The Ofna OB4 , Z-10 And the Yokomo Gt-4 come with rubber tires to get you started.
Not real great tires but enough to get you going.
Old 10-30-2002, 07:35 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Smile THANKS FOGER ROX

Thank for the info. I really do appreciate it. So your saying that rubber is the way to go for parking lot races, not foam?

Thanks again!

OneWay
Old 10-30-2002, 08:57 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Foams will be more forgiving, they slide, just a little, its very controllable. But rubber tires on a parking lot can be far more presice. I quite carring foams in my store for the "STREET" guys. Which i'm one. So I would go to a parking lot, drop some cones down and blow by a guy with foams, I found I could take a turn tighter, I could take the inside line on a car. Pissed a lot of guys off, but hey you're the one who got smoked, LOL.

My Onroad car, all that is available is foams. the local club races in a parking lot, twice monthly. Once there is a groove laid down the foams start to hook up real nice, stay in the groove and you can wail. But thats after 40 guys have been runnning since 9am.

If you want to race at a track, go there. See who is whipping ass and what do they run. Even on a part time track like the one by me, by the time you are running the mains a lot of Foam gets laid down, that will help, ------if you stay in the groove.

I'm using HPI Advans 24mm or Ofna K-1 slicks on my OB4 & RS4.
Old 10-31-2002, 12:16 AM   #9
Tech Initiate

Smile THANKS AGAIN

LOL. Cool. I guess I'll get the Yokomo GT-4 RTR and better tires. Thanks for all your help. Hopefully everything goes well. I'll let you know.

Thank you

OneWay
Old 10-31-2002, 02:39 AM   #10
Tech Master

The problem with foams if you are racing in a parking lot is chunking. Foams can chunk on rocks, but rubber is more durable for the most part. Also, foams need to be very clean to work their best, and like Foger Rox said, rubbers grip better in comparison to foams when the going is not the cleanest.

Also for the Yok, the RTR comes with a solid front differential, This could work to your advantage on some tracks, but I say get a Differential for the front off of the bat as well if you need more turning.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 05:24 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

On top of my 3 racer2's,an HPI SS, an Impulse and 2 tc3 nitro's I picked up a Yoke RTR that 3 runs through it..cheap....it ran ok,but to be honest,even after proper set-up,better tires,and a stratus body,I never got the feeling i was driving a world champion car...in felt more like a racer2 than anything....and after I got a rock caught in it my 3 day experiment was over....on the shelf(or Ebay) its going...MY advise?.....get tc3 nitro RTR...even with a 1 sp,its fast..add a 55 dollar 2 sp(and thats a CLUTCH type,not a 70 dollar HPI finger type) and you're good to go.....
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 02:50 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to 2Hard2Handle

i think u forgot another rtr that is great its a MUGEN SEIKI MSX 3 its a great car my brother has it can its alot better than the hpi ss but i think the yokomo is good too i was going to get that but i got a mugen seiki mtx 2 , i never seen a trinity reflex nt rtr??? do u got a site i can see?
2Hard2Handle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 05:17 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by fastharry
get tc3 nitro RTR...even with a 1 sp,its fast..
The Review in Extreme RC (I think it was) talked about torque steer in the RTR TC3.
Though in the IFMAR World Championship, Mark Pavidis won with the TC3. Barry Baker came in 7th, also TC3. Josh Cyrul pulled 2nd with a Reflex.
Old 11-03-2002, 05:23 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

a good set of tires will fix that up.....
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 08:32 PM   #15
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up HEY GUYS!! Just to let you know

After getting all the advice on the boards, I decided to get the YOKOMO GT-4 RTR (upgraded to the futuba radio,custom ram air intake, S3 Proline slicks). It was a great decision! I took it to a local track and let a friend of mine drive it, he said that he should've got the Yok instead of his NTC3 (which was also hopped-up). The Yok killed the hopped-up NTC3 on the turns and especially the straight aways! My other friend brought his HPI type SS to compete with my YOK, and.....well lets just say that the HPI was no competition at all.
I accidentally crashed my YoK straight into a curb and nothing was broken or bent in any way (only a few scratches). I think that the GT-4 is the best decision anyone can make if they plan on getting into RC nitro's. If you tune the GT-4 and get the right gear ratios, the GT-4 can be a mean R/C.

OneWay

((future hop-ups: better carb, dual tipped tuned pipe, penguin upper deck, lower CG, belt tensioner & numerous titanium parts))