R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Serpent suspension too tight (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/90781-serpent-suspension-too-tight.html)

SnaykeByte 11-15-2005 05:49 PM

Serpent suspension too tight

Well I just built my first on road 1/8 car, a Serpent 950. The problem is, everything fits so precisely that the suspension is tight, meaning it deosn't work freely and smooth. Should I have done something differently in the assembly, or will it just take time and running to free it up?

soc123_au 11-15-2005 05:58 PM

Try & resist using a file on the parts. Try dissassembling & reassembling a few times to free it up. I did this on my 710 & it is as free as a bird. Also check if it isnt binding without the swaybars connected, they could also be the problem.

ogreasurada 11-15-2005 06:02 PM

It's normal, especially after you slot the spacers in. If you want to get it to move freely the easy way you can do some light trimming either to the arms or the brackets, just remember trim it by very small amount and check for fit-ment so you will not over do it. Also make sure the pivot balls are not over tightened (they should move freely without slop) Hope this helps. :cool:

Solara 11-16-2005 01:37 PM

Check 2 things

(1) Remove all the shocks, then check each corner and make sure each suspension arms are moving up and down freely. Lift the car up in air, raise the arm, and if the arm drop down immediately, that is GOOD...if slowly, something binding....if stuck at the UP position......redo the whole suspension, something is wrong there.

(2) Now...check the shocks.........remove the springs, PUSH the rod into the shock........the correct reaction is, the shaft should slower push outward untill it push to the end.....3 things might happen, if the shaft push out very quickly....too much oil, if the shaft cannot even push in....WAY too much oil......if the shaft won't bounce back..........not enough oil.

soc123_au 11-16-2005 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
Check 2 things

(1) Remove all the shocks, then check each corner and make sure each suspension arms are moving up and down freely. Lift the car up in air, raise the arm, and if the arm drop down immediately, that is GOOD...if slowly, something binding....if stuck at the UP position......redo the whole suspension, something is wrong there.

(2) Now...check the shocks.........remove the springs, PUSH the rod into the shock........the correct reaction is, the shaft should slower push outward untill it push to the end.....3 things might happen, if the shaft push out very quickly....too much oil, if the shaft cannot even push in....WAY too much oil......if the shaft won't bounce back..........not enough oil.

what he said :nod: in step 1 do it first without sway bars attached, when it is right then reattach sway bars & check. If it is no good with the bars on you need to play with the linkages on the rear & the little cam on the front. Once that is all OK move on to your shocks.

SnaykeByte 11-16-2005 06:19 PM

upper control arms

I partially disassembled the rear suspension, and found out the tightness in that end is in the upper control arms. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the pins back out of the structure because they are seated in blind holes, and there is no way to push or pull them out. When it rains, it pours. Thanks for the info everyone, and keep it coming, I need all the help I can get.......-Curtis.

Solara 11-17-2005 08:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by SnaykeByte
I partially disassembled the rear suspension, and found out the tightness in that end is in the upper control arms. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the pins back out of the structure because they are seated in blind holes, and there is no way to push or pull them out. When it rains, it pours. Thanks for the info everyone, and keep it coming, I need all the help I can get.......-Curtis.

Been there, done that...

Actually, there is a small little HOLE does allow you to use a 3mm allen wrench (or anything that is thin) to PUSH thru the hole and punch the pin out for the rear upper arm....I am 110% sure there is an opening there for you do remove that pin.

Serpent is a very engineered brand, I doubt they will missed that area.

SnaykeByte 11-17-2005 11:39 AM

update:

Upper ball joints are very tight, trying to figure out how to loosen them up. I can just barely move them around with a screw through them using my fingers. Any ideas anyone?

Solara 11-17-2005 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by SnaykeByte
Upper ball joints are very tight, trying to figure out how to loosen them up. I can just barely move them around with a screw through them using my fingers. Any ideas anyone?

Front or rear...? I doubt it is the rear cause that ball cup does not have any adjustment needed...snapped on and done.

SnaykeByte 11-17-2005 03:23 PM

rear

It is most certainly the rear, took the joints back apart and lapped them slightly to fit, works fine now.