R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-15-2005, 10:30 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to RiceEatin1995GT
Default Help with my new motor.

Alright I have an RS-4 2 belt-driven with a new O.S. 18. It's broken in, but now it seems like it's going a little slower at wide open throttle and not taking off as quick. Not a huge difference, but I notice it.How much can I lean it out without messing anything up? I'm guessing it's still running a little rich, and is still spitting out plenty of blue smoke when I floor it.

Also, a potential problem. After running through a tank of gas, I go to refill it, lift the lid, and the fuel tank is smoking/steaming inside. Is the exhaust getting backed up or what? As I said, there is still blue smoke coming out of the pipe.
RiceEatin1995GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:32 AM   #2
Tech Adept

All pictures can be found here.

http://dubisteinspundloch.com/The%20RC%20Cars/
Old 11-16-2005, 10:10 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Old 11-16-2005, 10:59 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

Talking

Hi,

Don't worry about the smoke in the tank, it's normal because there is a tube between the exhaust and the fuel tank; the pressure in the exhaust goes into the tank and "pushes" the fuel into the engine. This replaces the fuel pump in your full sized car. A bit of smoke into the tank is normal.

Your RS4 is a 3 belt car, count them!

It sounds like you could lean your new engine a bit, but monitor the temperature closely, and if you do that, target 250F near the glowplug.

And if your "punch" off the line appears weak, maybe your clutch is worn??? Try new clutch shoes.

Finally, if you want top speed and acceleration, try the two-speed upgrade! But only if you race... for general fun and driving around, not worth the $.

Hope this helps!
Greg

PS: Loved your HL2 pics Made me want to play it again!
RC_Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:24 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Greg
Hi,

Don't worry about the smoke in the tank, it's normal because there is a tube between the exhaust and the fuel tank; the pressure in the exhaust goes into the tank and "pushes" the fuel into the engine. This replaces the fuel pump in your full sized car. A bit of smoke into the tank is normal.

Your RS4 is a 3 belt car, count them!

It sounds like you could lean your new engine a bit, but monitor the temperature closely, and if you do that, target 250F near the glowplug.

And if your "punch" off the line appears weak, maybe your clutch is worn??? Try new clutch shoes.

Finally, if you want top speed and acceleration, try the two-speed upgrade! But only if you race... for general fun and driving around, not worth the $.

Hope this helps!
Greg

PS: Loved your HL2 pics Made me want to play it again!

But this is everytime I run it. The heat and smoke though evaporates my fuel if I let it sit haha. I have to put it in right before I run it. If it's normal then I'm not gonna worry about it.

I meant RS-4 2 as in the model of the car haha. But I'll take your word, it probably has 3 belts. Never counted.

I don't race so I probably wouldn't bother with that. I just like to mess around with it in front of my house, until I get my truck to take off road.

I don't have a temperature meter. How much do those things run? At what point would I take a reading?

As long as there is still blue smoke coming out of the exhaust it should generally be good right?

It seems to take off alright to my knowledge, so the clutch shoes should be fine. They looked OK when I took the old motor apart to swap onto the O.S, but then again, I'm a rookie. I've only had it for a week, and it just appears that the top speed and acceleration is a little slower than it was a couple days ago.

Thanks for your help, and yes, HL2 is awesome.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:51 PM   #6
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you dont want to buy a temp gun just put a bit of spit on the cooling head. If it sizzles right off then the engine is too hot.
soc123_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:37 PM   #7
Tech Adept

After how long? Just on the top, not near the glowplug?

It usually stays pretty cool I think. I've been able to touch it for a very short period of time after running it. It's not incredibly hott.

So should I just got 1/8th turn at a time, and watch for the exhaust, and anything out of the ordinary? Then try to check the temp after a tank?
Old 11-16-2005, 09:23 PM   #8
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

check the temp after about 2 mins running. A bit of spit just on top of the head is OK. Yes 1/8 of a turn either way at most each time. If you go too lean not only will you kill the engine but performance will also drop off.
soc123_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:46 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Alright I leaned it out a little more. Seems to be noticably faster, the spit didn't sizzle, and it's still smoking blue.

Gonna check the temps tomorrow maybe. I just remember my dad has an infrared temp gun. He's a mechanic.

What are good running temps?
Old 11-17-2005, 05:58 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

210 -260 *F in bettween their and your set

Mike.
factory racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:09 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:36 PM   #12
Tech Adept

I just went out and shot it with the temp gun. After about 3-4 minutes of running, it was at about 165-170. About half a tank.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:27 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

thats wayy too cold for it to run liek it should...you have to get it to atleast 205*F if you cant do lean the shit outta the motor.....try wrapping foil paper around the cooling head and see if that helps you get the temperature up

Mike.
factory racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 06:27 PM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by factory racer
thats wayy too cold for it to run liek it should...you have to get it to atleast 205*F if you cant do lean the shit outta the motor.....try wrapping foil paper around the cooling head and see if that helps you get the temperature up

Mike.

Also make sure you are running with a body on.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 10:00 PM   #15
Tech Adept

I don't have a body for it yet. I could probably lean it out more. I doubt it's to its full potential. Actually, I have this shitty body I could probably use for now. So put that on, run it for a few mins, get a temp reading, and then maybe lean it out some more?

What would running it that cold do?