R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-28-2002, 06:33 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default NTC3 Upper decks?

Does anyone out there have a recomendation? I am trying to compare the Hardcore racing, Associated Factory Team graphite ($40 one), and the K factory one? Has anyone out there compared them? Weight, performance, durability, etc?

Thanks in advance!
DookieBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 08:56 AM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to myclod Send a message via Yahoo to myclod

i would probably go with factory team...remember metal is almost NEVER lighter than composite or plastic...also with the FT plate do not put the center post included in the kit in...it makes the car a little too stiff....
myclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 10:50 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

I use the Hard Core Racing Titanium upperdeck. Its pretty of course but too pricey like all HC products. A couple of the mounting holes did'nt line up right and had to be modded alittle, and it does'nt even come with the hardware needed to mt. the servo and the screw heads in the deck kit strip very easy. Hard Core could do better! And at $70 its not worth it! I'd go with a carbon deck. Spend the extra dollars saved on the carbon deck for other goodies!
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 11:28 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

Ok...I'll stick with the Factory Team plate....will I have any problems with glitching? The reason I ask is because I have a friend with an HPI SS and as soon as he put a Graphite top deck...he's been having glitching problems till today.

And what is your opinions on a Chassis for the NTC3? I've had my eye on the Hardcore Pro chassis...is this chassis worth the $145?

Thanks guys!
DookieBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 11:53 AM   #5
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to myclod Send a message via Yahoo to myclod

Glitching is almost ALWAYS a sign of loose screws or components, MAKE sure EVERYTHING on the car is tight or locktited, as far as the other chassis, well....it's not going to make the car any faster so to ME it isn't worth the $145 BUT if i had $145 to just blow on my car i MIGHT get one but i'm sure i could think of a bunch of stuff for my other cars i could spend that on
myclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 12:40 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by DookieBooty
And what is your opinions on a Chassis for the NTC3? I've had my eye on the Hardcore Pro chassis...is this chassis worth the $145?
My recomendation: Stick with AE chassis, aftermarket parts seem cool, but let me say that those plates made in titanium and other materials are worst thermal conductor than the aluminium plate.

If you want to change your chassis, stick with aluminium ones, titanium will bust your chassis.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 07:26 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Aeon Racer

I have the GH chassis: made of aluminum, looks awesome, its lighter than the stock one, and it seems to dissipate the heat better, it comes with blue motor mounts AND mounting hardware. For $40 it was a real steal. If you are thinking about getting a new chassis for your NTC3, give the GH chassis some serious consideration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ghchassis.jpg (81.9 KB, 153 views)
Aeon Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 10:58 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to ChrisO Send a message via Yahoo to ChrisO

aeon racer. where did you pick up your chassis. im interested in geting one soon a link if possible? thanks
ChrisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 11:21 PM   #9
Tech Master

Some expert engine tuners advise against excessive heat dissapation of an engine below the engine's manifold line. The reason is that these guys believe that this could cause the ignition of the engine's fuel to retard slightly.
Disagree if you like, its just an opinion.

As for that GH chassis, they're all over ebay. There is alway one at the top of the page.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 12:18 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Yeah, ebay is where it's at. Just search for "GH chassis" or "NTC3 chassis" and one will more than likely pop up. As for the heat dissipation, it wasn't much; I noticed about a 2-4 degree F drop in temp with the GH chassis on my car. I ran the car with the old chassis till it reached operating temperature, ran it for a bit, took the temp and turned it off. Immediately went inside the house and put the GH chassis on the car and started to run it again. The temp dropped the little bit. No changes to the carb/engine or car.

I was on the lookout for a new chassis since my stock one was all scratched up, and the GH chassis seemed like a reasonable buy. Cheap and it looks awesome; the slight temperature drop is just a plus (every little bit helps, to a certain point of course).
Old 10-30-2002, 12:23 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Here is a blue one... It makes your car go 5mph faster because its blue!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1781404758

Found that doing a search "nitro tc3". Just takes some browsing and you'll find it.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:34 AM   #12

I also use the GH Chassis, the stock Ae chassis I think has to much flex. The dislikes to the GH chassis is the vented motor mts. I had some thermal problems in this area and had to switch to the AE motor mts on the chassis to make it work right, it was an easy fix, just had to use some flywheel spacers to get correct gear mesh. Like someone else stated basically the engine temp below the exhaust mani. is the coolest point so I do not use vented engine mts. The pro HG chassis does look sweet, and looks like it would disapate heat better than the stock ti chassis they have. Also the pro chassis looks like it could be destroyed very easy with all the lightened cut outs it has, it would'nt take much to bend it up. The left side stiffening plate that KFactory makes would be a great help with the stock AE chassis. The GH chassis is only $49 at New ERA Hobbies, if you can't find it on ebay, also GPM Racing has almost every piece of the NTC3 in alum now including control arms and shocktowers. www.hobbyetc.com. HAs anyone checked out the alum/carbon shocktowers that K-Factory has out now? I think Speed Tech stocks them, kinda pricey though!
Old 10-30-2002, 06:50 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, Those K-Factory 2-piece shock towers look awesome. You can see them on the Trinity site, or the SpeedTech site. I also think they're a little pricey. I would sure hate to invest all that cash and have one break. I would be a little peeved to say the least. I also have the GH chassis, and the FT carbon fibre deck. I recommend them to anyone that asks.
NTC3NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 04:16 PM   #14

Ah yes, I forgot about Trinity being a distr. for K- Factory parts. I just checked the site out and found that Trinity does indeed carry the K-Factory parts for the NTC3. The K Towers through Trinity are $15 more a piece than at Speed Tech. I read Ernies big spill on what he wanted to do if he was ROAR President. I really enjoyed the part where he said he would like to make big RC Companies who have made a fortune off the RC sport, put some of the profits back into sport. I wonder if ERNIE is planning to put that $15 extra he will make off the shocktowers back into the sport? I don't think sooo!
Old 10-31-2002, 08:35 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Default Which upperdeck.....

I was using the AE Factory Team Graphite upperdeck and I am currently using the Hardcore Racing titanium upperdeck, the titanium upperdeck is much more stiffer for sure compared to the AE graphite upperdeck but at the expense of a little more weight on the ti upperdeck. The ti upperdeck is also very pricey and if I saw the K-factory one I would have bought this one. This is very close to the ti upperdeck but should be a little lighter and less expesive to boot. As for the chassis I am currently using the GPM racing chassis, this one is quite stiff and lighter. It did improve the handling quite a bit, the only drawback to this chassis is that the Blue anodizing will fade off when you use very strong degreasers or cleaners so be careful. The K-factory is quite nice will probably be my next chassis when it comes time to replace the GPM one . I do agree that the aluminum chassis is probably the better choice due to heat dissipation. Titanium is much stronger than aluminum that is why they can make it lighter and titanium has a better memory properties (bends less and if it does bend it will usually revert back to it's original or closer to it's original specs) but titanium does not dissipate heat as well as aluminum.
XtremeMDX is offline   Reply With Quote