R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-08-2002, 02:05 AM   #91
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to V-One S

Sorry i was talking about the pressure line between the exhaust and the fuel tank, sorry i didnt see that i wrote pressure pipe, i was typing it quickly i had to get off the computer.

So what plug should be put in with weather conditions of temperatures around 35-40 degree celsius and plenty of bush fires? normally not smokey where i am. but yeah.
V-One S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 02:25 AM   #92
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to ChrisO Send a message via Yahoo to ChrisO

hey matt so ur finaly better now!

temperature dont affect plugs that much, different plugs are for different % fuel

more nitro= cooler plug and less nitro=hotter plug
ChrisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 02:27 AM   #93
Tech Addict

Yeah im finally going back to skool on monday, no sport or anything though for AT least 2 weeks.
Old 11-08-2002, 02:43 AM   #94
Tech Master

Also small block engines like plugs on the hotter end of the spectrum, and big blocks like colder plugs. Another thing that effects the choice for a plug is the amount of head shims the engine has.

Temperature can have a slight effect, but you would need some drastic weather fronts for you to worry about.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 03:41 AM   #95
Tech Addict

what will taking out and putting in more shims in the engine, what will it do to:
performance,
reliability,
Life for the engine,
Fuel consumption
Old 11-08-2002, 03:50 AM   #96
Tech Master

it is used by seasoned engine tuning veterans to adjust the timing at which the engine fires. you can make power by removing one of the thin shims, but if you take too many out, your engine will begin to pre-detonate... , a deadly engine disease ( ). That is to say the engine will misfire.

Personally I don't fuss with it b/c it is one of those fine-tuning areas that don't really need to be done unless you're a national pro driver, or you're going for crazy speed.
But if you use something like 40% nitro fuel, you may need to add one shim and go up one colder plug, otherwise your engine will pre-detonate. But this makes for a fast setup, but you've got to be very to good to pull it off well.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:36 AM   #97
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Nitro TC braking question...

Hey guys...I've got a question about something thats been bugging me.

On my only gas vehicle (an OFNA Pirate 10 buggy) the brake calipers have small springs on the upper and lower mounting screws, between the calipers/pads. They're there to make sure that the calipers fully disengage from the brake once braking pressure is released. But as I have started eyeing my first Nitro TC, I see in most of the current braking designs, there are no springs used to aid in disengagement.

So basically, my question is: Without springs, what keeps the calipers/pads from dragging on the brake disk once braking pressure is released?

Thanks
Old 11-08-2002, 09:11 AM   #98
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

Dark a few guys in off-road still use those springs. But they become a liability after a while. The rotation of the disk pushes the pads apart, and there is also a very small amount of play in pad movement from brakes to no brakes and the piston, brake-shaft, pad screws assembly together acts as sort of a spring.

Some people use "drag brakes" where they leave a tad bit of pad drag on neutral braking, but generally if your spacing is right you're going to need force from the servo to make push against the piston to create pad friction, and when that force dissipates the disk notch in the brake shaft will allow the piston to return and the pads will return to free up the disk if adjusted properly.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 10:06 AM   #99
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks for the answer Patella!
Old 11-09-2002, 01:14 AM   #100
Tech Master

I tried using springs in the brake setup to do just that, but I had to cut a small spring to do it, and the cut end spun around due to the engines vibration and it got caught in the caliper and caused some drag brake. we don't need it anyways, I just thought I would try it.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:13 PM   #101
Tech Adept

Hi VOneS,

U said b4 that your high speed setting on your GS15R was somewhere between 1 - 1 1/4 turn from closed; what about your low speed?
darthkir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 06:25 PM   #102
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to TambokGT

Quote:
Originally posted by V-One S
what will taking out and putting in more shims in the engine, what will it do to:
performance,
reliability,
Life for the engine,
Fuel consumption
Usually you add shims when you go to a higher nitro content thus protecting your engine from premature wear. People take away shims when their engines are already near to its "worn out " point in order to restore compression.

Just follow your engine manufacturer's requirements so you won't screw up the engine.
TambokGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 06:31 PM   #103
Tech Master

the reason why you put more shims in when using a higher nitro fuel, is to prevent against pre-ignition and detonation. removing head shims is to advance the ignition timing. In general, retard timing is mot good fo our engines, makes them go slow.
Old 11-12-2002, 10:24 PM   #104
Tech Addict

My low end i don't know and i don't want to adjust it, it seems sensitive when adjusting, i only got the shut off around half a tank sorted out a while ago so im not going to play with the settings on the low end.
but it is around 1 1/4 - 1 1/2
thats from memory.