R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-29-2002, 08:05 PM   #31
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to V-One S

When i was at the track i didnt get heaps of time on it, i had a couple of problems only finished 1 of 4 races, but for a first time i dun think i went to bad.

i had on the track about 15 mins on the track cause i had a fe problems.
V-One S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 09:05 PM   #32
Tech Master

Red face

I remember the first time that I raced on thhe track . It wasn't too pretty. . However, I made friends with guys and I still hang out with them at the track. If it weren't for some of them, I might not look forward to going to track every time there is a race, I just remember how gracious they were to take time out to help me with my car.

The thing about changing over from one segment of RC to another, is that no matter how blue you feel about it, you still now much more then the frank beginner. You know what is meant when someone says to lean or richen your carbareutor. You know what servos are. You know the principle of an esc/motor combination. And you have that 'Which way do I turn it when it is coming back towards me?' problem fixed up.
Frank beginners have to be treated even differently then a guy who has had many different planes, but the thing is that some frank beginners don't think so.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 09:15 PM   #33
Tech Adept

So, for a beginner like me, what should I look into first? What do I need to focus on at the beginning? I read a lot, I get into my car a lot, play around with it, but still sometimes I am blurred.

darthkir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 10:08 PM   #34
Tech Master

If you are going to race, buddy up with a person who is a track regular. They should be helpful, if they are stuck-up, look somewhere else and don't get discouraged.
If you're not gonna race, then this place and your LHS would be your best places to find any answers to problems.

Also remember that there is only so much you can learn without actually doing it. Go out and experiment, just as long as you don't experiment on someone's crackpot idea. You should be able to tell what is good info and what isn't.

I got a feeling that I didn't quite answer your question (gut feeling )
Old 10-29-2002, 10:10 PM   #35
Tech Master

If you are going to race, buddy up with a person who is a track regular. They should be helpful, if they are stuck-up, look somewhere else and don't get discouraged.
If you're not gonna race, then this place and your LHS would be your best places to find any answers to problems.

Also remember that there is only so much you can learn without actually doing it. Go out and experiment; just as long as you don't experiment on someone's crackpot idea. You should be able to tell what is good info and what isn't.

I got a feeling that I didn't quite answer your question, though (gut feeling )
Old 10-30-2002, 12:34 AM   #36
rjl
Tech Fanatic

If masterofpuppetz is a beginner I'm sorry, I thought he was pulling strings.
rjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 02:55 AM   #37
Tech Initiate

Default Hey Guys! I'm NEW to the Boards. Please HELP me out. TY.

I'm really new to RC Touring, and I want to start out on the right foot. I really want a nitro touring car that is an RTR and i want to be able to kick my friends "rear-end" in a parking lot race. I dont intend on competing in any "world championship" or anything like that, but I would like to be able to hop it up pretty nicely. ((I dont mind ordering parts online))

I have been told about these following cars, please let me know the ups and downs of each one, which one do u prefer over the others and why?

1. Yokomo GT-4 RTR <=-=-=- I heard this is the best RTR
2. HPI Super Nitro RTR
3. HPI Nitro RS4 3 Type SS RTR
4. Trinity Reflex NT RTR
5. Team Associated Nitro TC3 RTR

I'm kind of leaning towards the Yokomo because I heard it goes 60MPH out of the box and all I would have to do is buy some foams to make is handle like a dream. I also heard that I can get some really nice hop ups online for the Yokomo.

PLEASE HELP ME OUT GUYS

Thank you,

OneWay (NOOBIE)
OneWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 06:33 AM   #38
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to myclod Send a message via Yahoo to myclod

Oneway...

Actually this goes for anyone getting in to R/C

#1 first see what parts your LHS carries...if you can't get parts it ain't worth racing

#2 after you see what you can EASILY and QUICKLY get parts for see what other people race, if you cannot get help from others who have or have had the same car you'll never get the car to perform up to your expectations especially if you run into some sort of problem.

#3 Don't go putting all the great hop ups on the car as soon as you get it...learn the car first THEN upgrade the items that will help YOUR driving style, don't do a hop-up just because everyone else is doing it

#3A- Remember EVERYONE drive their car a little different and just because a setup worke great for one person DOES NOT mean it will ALWAYS work for you.

#4 Don't make more than 1 change to your car at a time, if you do one at a time you can drive it some and evaluate hot THAT ONE mod has affected your car, if you do 2 or 3 mods can;t necessarily tell which ones helped you and which ones hurt you..

and most importantly...DON'T give up...keep trying you'll get it figured out eventually and ASK questions...even if they may be stupid, because if you don't know it can be MUCH worse than not knowing or just ASSUMING
myclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 01:43 PM   #39
Tech Initiate

Default Thanks for the info Myclod

Thanks myclod. But i really dont mind learning on my own and ordering parts online. So what RTR kit would you suggest?

Thanks again,

OneWay
Old 10-30-2002, 05:57 PM   #40
Tech Master

One way, listen to Myclod. Getting parts locally, while not seemingly important to you is a major factor for me now. I used to think I would get all my stuff by mail order, but I realized that mail order is a pain, especially if all that you need is 10mm long M3 screw set, or maybe 50wt. shock oil. Personally, I haven't gotten anything from mail since my T-maxx. Its also a way to support your local economy . Your local hobby shop will be your best friend when you are in need of a fix to a problem. You will probably say that you could ask us hear, but the thing is that it is about five times easier to diagnose a problem in person. Your LHS will be more than happy to help a regular customer.

I also suggest not learning on your own but under guidance when ever possible. You can talk to us and some local racers at the hobby shop. I've seen people do weird things when they are trying to learn on their own. The comeradery is also one thing that makes this hobby so enjoyable. The likelyhood that you will find someone nice and helpful when your in trouble is a good feeling that helps you stay in the hobby.

The trinity reflex nt does not come in a rtr package. And while 60 mph may sound good, that doesn't mean it will be the best for you. But it may be because it comes equipped with a solid front diff. There are many variables that should go into buying a car, but aftermarket hopups really should be your last concern, b/c there are very few hopups that truly make a car better.

Personally, they are all good for a beginner.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:39 PM   #41
Tech Adept

In my area, there are two cars which are very famous: Nitro TC3 and V One S.
How do you guys compare these two?

Old 10-30-2002, 07:41 PM   #42
Tech Initiate

Smile Thanks

Being new to this board has been a good experience. Thanks for all the info. I think that I'll get the Yokomo GT-4 RTR. I think that its the most for my money and my LHS does carry parts and aftermarket hop up for it.

Thanks again guys

OneWay

P.S. For Parking lot racing, what kind of tires should I use? and how big in Rear/Front?
Old 10-30-2002, 08:07 PM   #43
Tech Adept

Great. I was about to ask the tyre question

BTW, what insert to use? What is the difference between foam and rubber tyres in term of performance? When to use?
Old 10-30-2002, 08:08 PM   #44
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to V-One S

The NTC3 and the V-One S are both great cars, but from memory the NTC3 comes with a 2 speed gear box already, not positive on that one, but after buying the NTC3 you have to go and then buy the motor.
With the V-One S it comes with a motor which has a fair bit of grunt, its also easy to setup, good instructions. The V-One S can also fit some options of the V-One R, the V-One RR and the V-One R GRP.
But both are great cars,
The NTC3 is for a slightly more advanced r/cer where as the V-One S can be used from beginner all the way to the world championships.

But both are excellent, 2 different friends both bought the NTC3 and i have the V-One S
V-One S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 08:28 PM   #45
Tech Adept

What do you mean with the "motor"? Can you explain?