R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-05-2002, 10:53 PM   #76
Tech Elite

Default HPI 33R's

I have 2 sets of 33R's. One set is 24mm for my 10th scale cars and I really have not found any place where they work better than my other tires. I think the temp range is on the package. HPI website also list the ranges for all of their tires.
I run them all the time on my HPI Super Nitro. Probally the only tire that works well on a super.
Try harder inserts to get more life out of your tires. S3's won't last no matter what. Maybe S2's if the track is prepped (sprayed).
If you are racing for more than 1 hour, you may not be able to avoid a mid-race tire change.

Last edited by popsracer; 11-05-2002 at 10:55 PM.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 10:53 PM   #77
Tech Adept

Hi guys,

I often race in car park lot with my friends. What level of hardness should I use for my tyres and insert, and whether should I use slick or treaded tyre?

Please advise.

darthkir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 11:04 PM   #78
Tech Elite

Default What is the surface?

What kind of surface do you race on? Asphalt , concrete?
Rough (like a street) Smooth (sealed). What is the normal average temperature where you race this time of year?

If you go back earlier in the posts. I think I left some suggestions on what I have experienced with tires that I have ran over the years.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:14 PM   #79
Tech Elite

Default High temp diff grease.

Let me rephrase what I said about high temp grease melting.
Even though the grease is between tiny little gears. They can spin at speeds high enough to create heat that will REDUCE the viscosity of any type of grease that you use in the diffs. Silicone grease is just more resistant to viscosity changes. I know because I've used both types.
R/C car diff grease is usually silicone based and labeled for viscosity (weight).
The stiffer the rear diff is, the LOOSER the rear of the car will be (oversteer).
Same goes for the front, except in the front it becomes push (understeer).
Again, you are looking for a balanced set-up.

Last edited by popsracer; 11-05-2002 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:17 PM   #80
Tech Adept

It's rough, just like the street. The average temp is around 30-32 degree celcius.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:32 PM   #81
Tech Elite

Default Next question

OK, good.

Next question. What brands of tires do you have availible at your local Hobby Shop?

Yokomo's work good on rough asphalt (very good) if not too dusty.
Dust is hard to get traction on. Like driving on a sandy street with a full size car.

HPI has their Advan treaded tires in ##R compounds. They might work if it is a little dusty. I have not tried them myself.

BTW; what is that about in F. Deg?

Below 80-85 degs F. track temperature, Yokomo 136S's work good. (all Yoko's are slicks)
Old 11-06-2002, 12:01 AM   #82
Tech Adept

I'm not sure about the brand.
Maybe you can advise me on the general concept on tyre and insert selection, not too product specific. Appreciate it.

Old 11-06-2002, 03:43 AM   #83
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to V-One S

popsracer: the bearing grease i am using will take a lot more then the heat generated in the diff of an R/C, the grease i am using is designed for bearings in trailers, cars, engines and many other areas, that is why it has such a high rating and it actually works, it is 500degree celsius and heat resistant until it gets over that temp
V-One S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 10:24 AM   #84
Tech Adept

Default Re: Next question

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer

Dust is hard to get traction on. Like driving on a sandy street with a full size car.

HPI has their Advan treaded tires in ##R compounds. They might work if it is a little dusty. I have not tried them myself.

BTW; what is that about in F. Deg?

Below 80-85 degs F. track temperature, Yokomo 136S's work good. (all Yoko's are slicks)
I think some tread on a tire is good for dusty lots. That little bit of tread bits thru the dust & debris, as in HPI X-Patterns or Advans.
I've used the HPI Advans and the 33R hooks up above 60-65 degrees.
The 27R is softer, for a cooler weather. I have friend who uses the Yokomo's and he loves them.
Foger Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 10:58 AM   #85
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Fiream

Would it be wise to put two different compund on your car.(i.e. one compound in the front other in the back.)
Fiream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 11:08 AM   #86
Tech Elite

Default Grease and Tires

GREASE
I also used a high temp grease 500 deg rating. But it would ooze out of the outdrive shafts like it was melting. I never have this problem with the silicone grease that I am running in our HPI cars. In my Reflexes I use diff oil and have had some problems with them leaking.

TIRES
Buy a tire in a compound rated for the average track temperature that you are seeing. (can measure with a temp gun) Start off with a medium insert (I like HPI red inserts best). and go from there.

EXPERIENCE
All of the information that I give is from what I have experienced/used in the 3+ years that I have been racing R/C.

I race at least 3 weekends in a month, either on-road (prefered) or off-road. I'm NOT an Expert driver nor do I claim to be. I have tried many different tires and raced on most surfaces except carpet. I've owned HPI cars from the beginning and have done alot of experimenting with set-ups. My current 10th scale nitro is a Trinity Reflex N/T.

What works good/bad for me may not be the same for everyone.
But I think most people will have similar experiences with similar products in similar situations.

Last edited by popsracer; 11-06-2002 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:50 AM   #87
Tech Master

I have to disagree with the idea that treaded tires shoot out debris because of the design of the tread.
I think this way because full size cars don't have tread to allow a car to push dirt and stuff away from the contact patch, but it is used to move water away from the tire's contact patch.
Also, with the size of our cars, just about the only thing that most of the treads available (if theoretically they did move dust away from the contact patch) the size of the rocks or dirt would have to fit in the treads's depth, but the depth and width of a usual tread is only big enough for slightly course sand to be pushed away. Smaller and the only thing that would move the debris would be the same as if it were a rock in a 18 wheeler's pathway; it would be shot out behind, not away from the contact patch.
One reason why treaded tires are more consisitent on dusty parking lots (etc.) is due to their hard compounds that don't heat up the way that slicks are made to heat up. So less debris is picked up from the running surface. Also, treaded tires often are fitted with softer inserts which allow more grip.

I think that slicks work best for dusty surfaces is you can find a suitably firm tire that would not pick up track debris, and soft iserts that make up for some of the lost traction caused by using the hard tire.
This is what I think b/c I haven't ever really heard anything that has forced me to change my views.

Oh yeah FIREARM, it is usually not good to use different compounds on the front and rear for this car. It is designed to have equal grip and suspension action at both ends. It could work but using the same tires front and rear (including inserts) makes it easier to achieve more of a neutral setup.

(sorry about the length of this post, but I want someone to make the treaded tire-vs.-slick tire make more sense, b/c I really only see one purpose for treaded tires; water.

Last edited by Im2lazy; 11-07-2002 at 01:53 AM.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 08:14 PM   #88
Tech Elite

Default Treaded tires & water

Im2Lazy;
I agree with your Ideas about treaded R/C car tires. I think that the only benefit of a treaded tire is that they may cause some kind of brushing action that moves the dust aside as they turn. (but this is just speculation)
Most likely the only benefit they offer is increased tire sales because they LOOK like they would work better than a slick.

One treaded tire that may actually work are the
Street Tread pattern by Team Losi. They have a kind of "fuzzy" tread pattern on them. I think they only come in the Blue & Yellow compounds tho.

Last edited by popsracer; 11-07-2002 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-08-2002, 02:36 AM   #89
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to V-One S

Treaded tyres work better in a slightly dusty condition since the are wheel spinning and they pile the dirt into the groves, where as a slick will slide across the top of it.
If it is too dusty which most people are thinking that type of dust when u say dusty condition it will slip and slide no matter what type of tyre or grooves u have.
V-One S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 03:11 AM   #90
Tech Master

sorry, but I still don't buy it.

Think about the tires contact patch. It is incredibly small. Most of the tire is a slick, but there are maybe a total 1 groove in contact with the ground at a time. That means only the tire behind the groove is getting clean ground under it. However, the problem is that the tire would have picked up the dust from when it was the front of the tire patch. This puts the treaded tire at an unmeasurable advantage, but the treaded tire has a smaller contact patch due the groove in the tire carcass, which then puts it at a disadvantage (more tire more grip, & vice versa).
Also dust is not a liquid, it is a solid and if it doesn't fit in the tire groove, then it doesn't move until it is picked up or comes in contact with the tire. Same thing if the speck of dirt is smaller than the groove. Also, the tread is a small percentage of the tire and so it has a very small chance of landing on a patch of dust so it has not much of a to try and excavate some dust (which I don't believe it can even do). But again I must come back to the fact that there is less of a contact patch for the tire to grip with, and therefore is at a disadvantage in comparison to a slick of the same compound.

Also, to create the design of a tread, the integrity of the rubber is jeapordized b/c the tire can flex more than the tire of a solid, slick design. This results in inconsistency much like tire sidewall flex that low-profile slicks try to eliminate.

hopefully I made some sense
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote