Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Tire choice for parkinglot racing????? >

Tire choice for parkinglot racing?????

Tire choice for parkinglot racing?????

Old 11-10-2002, 08:44 PM
Tech Adept

they seemed to soften the rear end though?

do AIM, or MSN?
Old 11-10-2002, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Default AIM or MSN?

No not at this time. You can get my E-mail address from my profile I think. How do I set-up with instant messaging?
Old 11-10-2002, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Default Raced today

We raced today in La Mirada, CA. My son Michael got 1st place in the Nitro Rookie class "A" Main with the exact set-up that I have posted. I drove the car in practice and it worked very well with no complaints.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Raced today

Originally posted by popsracer
We raced today in La Mirada, CA. My son Michael got 1st place in the Nitro Rookie class "A" Main with the exact set-up that I have posted. I drove the car in practice and it worked very well with no complaints.
We tried to race today in Fremont, CA. today, We swept, then laid the boards down, Then it rained on us. Then we stood in the rain and packed it all up after an hour and a half.

Congrad's to Micheal How did you do??

PS: Thanks for reminding me...Just kidding

PSS: Did you tell what tires you are using?

Last edited by Dear HPI; 11-10-2002 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Fiream
they seemed to soften the rear end though?

do AIM, or MSN?
yo i got msn...
Old 11-10-2002, 11:42 PM
Tech Master

firearm, that engine is made for 1/8 scale onroad... unless you get the wolfpack radicals big block conversion, it won't fit. Also, the other racers won't let you run it b/c touring cars legally are only supposed to run .12 ci engines (2.1 cc if your used to the metric system). I suggest the MT12, it is only $140 and has more than enough power for you.

Ball diffs on a nitro car ( with obvious exception to the TC3) is a joke from my experience. I had a friend try these at the track, and his diff loosened after only 7 minutes so that he no longer had front drive. The thing loosened that fast. The TC3's ball diffs are built for racing in nitro sedan and are very good in comparison.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:16 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Im2lazy
Ball diffs on a nitro car ( with obvious exception to the TC3) is a joke from my experience. I had a friend try these at the track, and his diff loosened after only 7 minutes so that he no longer had front drive. The thing loosened that fast. The TC3's ball diffs are built for racing in nitro sedan and are very good in comparison.
Well, ball diffs like on the Impulse and the NTC3s will work fine... but then you still need to change out the worn out balls after several runs... That's why for ball diffs, with an hour long mains, the diff action will not be constant throughout.

For the Impulse, at least you have the FPS Diff which uses a friction disc plate and brake pads setup to provide a contant diff action throughout without wearing any parts...

The original Impulse / Impact ball diff will currently be undergoing some modifications come February next year which would include some kind of a added piece of collar that would mimic the same function as can be had from the FPS diff.

If only Hudy could make their spring steel ball diffs in other cars like they do on the Xray...

Last edited by InitialD; 11-11-2002 at 01:20 AM.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:40 AM
Tech Master

The nitro TC3 also has a friction plate inside of its diffs. My friends have never needed to rebuild their diffs on their ntc3s.

I didn't realize that the Impact's ball diff (2wd version) would fit in the Impulse, but it makes sense as plent of the stuff on the Impulse came from the Impact.

Even better than Hudy spring steel would be Acer racing ceramic diff balls with spring steel out drives! and spring steel diff washers.
That would cost as much as the car!
Old 11-11-2002, 02:03 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Im2lazy
The nitro TC3 also has a friction plate inside of its diffs. My friends have never needed to rebuild their diffs on their ntc3s.

I didn't realize that the Impact's ball diff (2wd version) would fit in the Impulse, but it makes sense as plent of the stuff on the Impulse came from the Impact.
Just wait and you'll see that they will need to change out the balls in the NTC3 ball diffs... Depending on how they race and when they got their kit, they'll need to change then over time.

Actually, the 705 borrows a lot more parts from the Impact than the Impulse PRO did. Rear Ball diff, main shaft gear train pulleys, middle shaft gear train pulleys, rear antiroll bar etc.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:12 AM
Tech Master

wow... Serpent is getting cheap j/k. I thought it would borrow more from the new 1/10 onroad car (no idea, they use too many #s making me dizzy).

how does serpent end up on so many cars? Like the majority of pivotball electric tourers (ok its a stretch to say that when there are 3-4 pivotball electric touring cars).

One friend has had his ntc3 for about 7 race weekends. That is a lot of uses, and the ball diffs still felt good. And it always performs consistently(as long as his tires are consistent ).
Old 11-12-2002, 12:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Fiream
I'll probably end up getting some new springs this weekend... As for an engine, i've got my sights set on a Novarossi RX 21 R1 or something along those lines. I may also sell my HPI for a Yokomo...... I got to get HPI to handle better before I do anything....

RX 21 R1:

C. CAPACITY 3,49 c.c.
POWER 2.5 H.P.
R.P.M. 35.000
STROKE 16.80
BORE 16.26
PORTS 7
WEIGHT gr. 320
SHAFT Ø 14mm

I race with that engine in my 1/8 Picco Integra.........if you put that in your RS4.......I think it can't handle that kind of power.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Firearm.... Go nuts fella. Just make sure you take a video and post it on the net. Everyone likes to see an overpowered tourer get grenaded!
Old 11-12-2002, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

I got 2nd place in Sportsman stock electric and 3rd in Sportsman Nitro (what a hackfest).
Old 11-12-2002, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

more like a missile than a grenade... ...watch out for shrapnel ... j/k

Anyways, go for a racing .12 engine since your plans are for racing.

I remember one time I was in the C main ( ; at least it wasn't the Dmain ), and battling for the lead, we got past lapped traffic, then some psycho hack ( every tracks got one) that we lapped started driving in overdrive, using the leaders (me and the other guy) as side rails on the edge of the track... ... then we got past him when he jumped over us rather than slamming in to us, when he comes charging back and jumps like ten feet cutting the 180 big time and he lands square on top of my car...

Was that how your race was, b/c I hate it when you have to spend as much time racing as avoiding crazed drivers. overall our track is pretty good, but there are times...
Old 11-12-2002, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Default Hackfest 2002

Im2Lazy;

I know the type of person you are talking about. Sounds like a Novice driver in a higher class. (though I do know someone that drives like that in expert).

What I am talking about are the people that are good drivers and can hold a decent line, but when challenged in anyway, they will knock, rear end, bump, what ever they can do to put you into the boards.
Racing is racing and mishaps alway happen. But If it's an accident, then common courtesy is to apologize and wait for him to recover (at least somewhat).
It is usually the same guy(s) at every race that do this. This one guy has done this to me at 3 different races.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.