R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-25-2002, 10:59 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Unhappy Im New At RC cars, need help on the ENGINE

Hey People, this is my first time making a thread here and my first day beig part of this forum site.
Well my problem is my Engine. i have a fantom fr.15 engine on it with a 2 speed. When i push foward on my trigger to brake my engine will stop running.. and ive been wondering why this is happening. i try to mess with the throttle linkage set up but i dont know... and i do not know how to work with the needle valve on the engine... can you guys give me some pointers and some advice please?? Thankyou...
ieatpandesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 11:42 PM   #2
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Check that your linkage is not "closing" the carb when you push for brake (best done by removing the air filter and looking down the carb opening from the top when you do this), there should be a stop screw on the carb to prevent this happening...adjust it.

Also check that your clutch is not engaged when the engine is at idle (lift the car off the ground and the wheels should not rotate......or only "beaing" rotate).....
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 09:37 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to NEMMITH

Oh one more very important note, make sure you do the above mentioned ONLY when the motor is not running. You NEVER want to run your motor with the air filter removed. I hope you read this before you try anything.
NEMMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 04:20 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

"there should be a stop screw on the carb to prevent this happening...adjust it."
umm, is the screw the one that connects to the reciever?
ieatpandesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 01:11 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to SubaruSTi Send a message via Yahoo to SubaruSTi

yea i'm having the same problem
SubaruSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 02:06 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Default Help

Quote:
Originally posted by ieatpandesal
"there should be a stop screw on the carb to prevent this happening...adjust it."
umm, is the screw the one that connects to the reciever?
i think the best thing now is to go back to the LHS that u bought the car and get some basic understanding while looking at them work it out for u. This way, its easier for u to understand since you are not very familiar with this carb setting. Improper setting of the screw (on the carb) affect the engine stablility.

Last edited by RClover; 12-24-2002 at 02:09 AM.
RClover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 07:40 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

The Idle screw is the little screw with a litting spring....And no its not the one where you connect the throttle linkage..
Racer-Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 06:13 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

The Idle adjustment screw on most nitro engines has a phillips head and is smaller than the other adjustment screws. With the engine off take remove the air filter then as you are looking down the throat of the carburetor hold the throttle wide open on your transmitter then push your finger for the break. Now look inside the carburetor and make sure the opening is 1mm. Any less and your car will stall when breaking. Open the throttle again and make the adjustment on the idle screw then push the break again. Keep doing this untill the opening is 1mm when you apply the break. DO NOT use your throttle trim on your transmitter to make this adjustment!!! Put the air filter back on and it should be fine.

Since you are new at this there are a few articles you should read about engines before you get started. These article will save you time and money and get you up and racing quickly.

http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/carburetor.asp

http://www.rc411.com/howto/enginebreak-01.html

http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/get_enginestart.asp

Happy new Year and I hope you get up and running soon.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote