R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-07-2005, 07:05 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default tips for hour long enduro race?

theres going to be an hour long enduro race at my local track i go to.was wondering if anyone has any good tips for a race like this.winner gets 50 bucks,second 25.im gonna use a fuel gun,keep a complete set of trued tires,front and rear handy.basic hand tools,make sure everything is charged,and spare plugs too.spare parts.can anyone think of anything im forgetting?
intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:02 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Extra side belt? Make sure the front and rear belts are in good shape before the main. I have had one break in one main and another end up missing about six teeth when I finished on another main. A little extra ride height. Header spring. Extra wheel nuts. I usually just lock tight mine for a one hour main. Obviously I am running 1/10th. Have fun, I love running those long mains. I guess because I always won or came in a close second. The big thing is to keep the car together.
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:38 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

Drive smart and don't take chances. If you are running at Speedline, tire wear shouldn't be an issue unless you are banging the boards. When running a longer race, the engine sometimes will "loose" its tune with the temp and humidity changing or if the engine has an issue to deal with like a clutch nut backing out or a 2 speed locking in.

For $50 bucks, does that pay for the fuel and tires, wear on the car? Sounds fun, but do everything you can think of to make the car free rolling and make sure all the gaskets don't leak, like around the pipe.

Have a good pit man and practice changing tires and use of hand signals for any adjustments you might need to do.

Good luck.

See you all at B&B this weekend for the 1st race on the new track!
Old 11-07-2005, 09:52 AM   #4

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Jpilone

if you are changing tires, get a cordless drill and use one of those "kit included" 4-way wrench tools that will fit in a drill to change your tires quickly.

keep plenty of spare parts nearby and the necessary tools to replace parts as well.

make sure you've got good batteries in your radio and your car charged good. Also watch your engine tune during the race, as some engines may want to be richened up a little bit. every 3rd stop get a temp check to watch that.

Also for you, make sure you're hydrated well before the race to help pay attention. And if you can, get some anti-fatigue foam to stand on while up on the driver's stand. That helps a TON! I once drove a 45 minute main on that with no shoes on and it was a huge difference!
Jpilone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:59 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

We race 2.4 hour endurance race (1/10th scale of 24 horus race...LOL) and after several events............my advise for you is....FINISH THE RACE.
A lot of fast guy (team) ended up broken their car....take no stupid pass, never go crazy on the straight....avoid all possible traffic........will give you a top 3 finishes or a win, it is 1 hour long...it is LONG racing.

Practice standing on the driver stand for 1 hour do help.....no need to change tires or belt or worry about changing anything...your car suppose to be able to run 1 hour without changing, but you must pick the right tires (should be 40 and above) with no trimming...extra ride height should help...and the best run of the full hour racing should be from 20-45 minutes of the race....
Solara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:13 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Go to bathroom before the race.
ogreasurada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:18 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

All of the advice is pretty good. I think RCfoolz hit on the most important thing of don't take chances. I don't really consider an hour an endurance race, but in a one hour race, probably 40% of the cars are not going to finish or run the entire time (I am being conservative). If you run the entire 60 mins you will almost certainly finish in the top half. Run your race, and don't race people too hard. Take it easy on your tires. I usually practice with a set of tires at least one rating higher than normal just for getting a feeling for a long main.....Don't forget to blink your eyes every once in a while.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:21 PM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogreasurada
Go to bathroom before the race.
or don,t nothing like knocking the rest of the guys off there stride with a well timed gas release.
drfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:09 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfritz
or don,t nothing like knocking the rest of the guys off there stride with a well timed gas release.
That is pure evil.
ogreasurada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:14 PM   #10
Tech Adept

If you know how long you run on a full tank eg 6min , get a stop watch so that you get max track time.
cheers
lowlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:41 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

one word..............
..............................RELAX!!!
take your time and slow down make sure you finish
subman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:35 AM   #12
Tech Master

watch your battery life. im running lipo's in my mongoose and they last for days. figure at the 45min mark your in for troubles.
973 575-0375 https://www.facebook.com/
www.critterhobbies.com www.rcpix.net
critterracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:50 AM   #13
ALG
Tech Regular

Hi,

VERY import is refueling,
if you refuel every 6 minutes you will be in 9 times on pits,
if you refuel every 7 minutes you are in 8 times.
There is a racer on my track that make 8min with a tank!! and his tank and capacity are legal 75c.c.

At our track we race 2 times a year a long race, and you must be consistent, make every lap the same!! remenber your arm will be very tired and crimp

YOUR car MUST last the race if not you must change your setting or parts to make it last.

HAVE FUN!!!
ALG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:15 AM   #14
Tech Regular

wow,thanks for all the excellent responses much appreciated.im going to compile a list of all these tips and go over them at the track to make sure im not forgeting anything.locktite is one standout i forgot about.and i think i may turn my high speed out just a tad rich?ill come back after the race and post anything new i learned after sunday.
intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 06:44 PM   #15
Tech Champion

I don't see the enduro spirit with 1 hour race because we have regular 1 hr final A main every month.

If you really want enduro racing, try 3 hours of racing that must involes changing drivers, changing tyres, fixing cars if it broke, and regular refueling.

My friend ( off road ) recently played 6 hours enduro race. The ticket was $500 bucks for each car entered. Each car gets new JP engine and free flow of JP fuels. Each car get up to six drivers.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote