Which foam tyres? 1/8th On Road.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which foam tyres? 1/8th On Road.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 07:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up Which foam tyres? 1/8th On Road.

i wanted to start a thread to see what are the comments regarding racing foam tyres for 1/8 on road rc cars. anyone is invited to submit his opinion. i use ellegi on a 950 but i find them too expensive and wear much faster than other tyres. now opting to a less quality/cheaper stuff from arrows.. cheers.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Ellegis, forfaster, twister, Grps, fast tires, jacos, gap, spider tires are amongst the populars.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (91%+)

I've used Jaco's and the rubber is good, but the rims break easily. Super G's work really well and I haven't broken any rims yet. I'm going to try GRP's and see how they work out.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Has anyone tried delta racing tires? Are they any good?
Old 03-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Tech Adept

the delta tires are the super g rim. they used to have jaco foam but i'm not sure what they have now. Jaco had a bad batch of rims come out the new ones are fine
Old 03-12-2006, 09:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

There are many tires and compounds out there. The rubber on most of the tires are pretty good. But where the problems come in are the rims....The twister rubber is good but rear rims move slightly from side to side. The best foam is GRP Fast Tires. The rubber/rims are good but they are expensive......I agree with going with cheaper tires but sometimes you get what you pay for. The cheaper tires are going to give somewhere to save and make costs low. So be careful when buying off brands make sure fit and rubber are consistent.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:34 PM
Tech Adept

Well it all depends on the car you drive. fast tyres are the same as ellegi and power tyres. But Grp is making a one tire now. which will be distributed by one place in the usa. Serpent has teamed up with jaco, which is the best rubber on the market with the strongest rims so if your still running serpent I would look into the serpent/jaco's
Old 03-14-2006, 04:46 PM
Tech Regular

Strong Rims, excellent consistent rubber... GQ Tires
Old 03-14-2006, 08:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Stick with the SERPENT foams...they are now from JACO....and it is cheaper then the Ellegi foams from before.
And Jaco foams are just as good as the others for 1/8th.

I do like GQ tires as well.........however, they are not too price friendly.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default 8th tires

I only ran three 8th scale races last year due to the sedan schedule around here but I can share that at our club championship event with the GQ's I got 2 practices, 3 qual's and a 30 minute main plus the 4 warm ups one set of tires and still enough to practice on. I won't mention any other brands but in the past it would have taken at least 2 full sets to run that much. I agree that they are price a little higher but if they last twice as long it might even it out some. Just my thoughts.
Later, Mike
Old 03-14-2006, 11:13 PM
Tech Rookie

I've been using the Power "X" tires, excellent foams as far as grip and wear and price is cheap. If only the rear plastic rims would last as long as the foam tire then it would be perfect. Unfortunately, the rear rims have a very bad tendency of cracking and chipping off from the outer edges (without hitting anything or crashing) that I would literally go thru 2 sets of rear foams in a one day race schedule. One for quals and then a new one on the main since the rims have cracked so badly that the run is inconsistent. Fronts are excellent though, no problems whatsoever and last a very long time. Too bad, it's only available in one shore rating - 35.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:00 AM
Tech Master

I just started 1/8th and have been using Ennetti because of the price. I did break a front and rear rim but I crash a lot!

I might try some others to compare the durability. I used 1/10th GQ so might try those

Cheers
Old 03-15-2006, 02:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Foam Tyres

I have been using Enneti tyres on my MRX-4 and find they work really well. Give good grip in all conditions. Ziggy12345 - I have bust a front rim as well but it was very cold when I did it (and i crashed). This is more down to the plastic Mugen use for manufacture of rims. When it is a little warmer - no problems.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:47 AM
Tech Master

It was freezing when I did it so should be OK in the summer, if it ever arrives!!