Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
need help please noobie trying to learn >

need help please noobie trying to learn

need help please noobie trying to learn

Old 07-03-2015, 05:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Default need help please noobie trying to learn

ok well my car will start but as soon as I let of the brake it dies I'm dumbfounded
Old 07-05-2015, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Noobie29
ok well my car will start but as soon as I let of the brake it dies I'm dumbfounded
Remove the engine, disconnect and loop back fuel line onto tank and disconnect Linkages

With engine out, check drive train, check your brakes and inspect linkages and check servo horn is ok and centered. Set Radio trims to zero when you are doing this

Onto engine, while you have it out, give it a clean and check carby is tight and throttle isnt binding. Place a rubber band between the throttle linkage and the top needle to act as a return to ensure it tunes well and also prevents a runaway during radio failure. Don't rely on fail safes or return springs.

Check your clutch, it should be free, not sure what clutch it is but it doesnt matter as th clutch bell needs to be free. I say this because you should NOT need to be on the brakes to start it.

Place the engine onto chassis and take special care with the linkages and ensure they are set correctly so the car isnt braking when idling and isnt binding when on throttle or stressing the linkages when braking.

Mount engine and let us know how you went. I'm assuming that during this process you may find other factors contributing to your issues.

Good luck.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Noobie with RTR's. You get all excited when you start the car. Manual tell you to breakin the engine. Rookies put on the ground right away, it take off.

Start it up with pull start, and set on blocks with wheels off the ground. Then turn down the idle where the wheels stop turning. Then resume the break in.

If that DONT work!! remove clutch bell and inspect the clutch shoes of binding.
With engine NOT running turn the wheels CCW, it should be freewheeling, if the flywheel turns with the wheels, The clutch is binding engaged.

Good Luck!!