Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Importance of a setup station? >

Importance of a setup station?

Importance of a setup station?

Old 06-28-2015, 08:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Importance of a setup station?

just a quick question:

How important is a Hudy setup station/setup board if you are just club racing and parking lot racing nitro 1/10 touring?

I just want to know if it's really necessary or should I save my money for other things....

If it's not necessary...what setup tools would you consider "must haves" to be competitive at a club level?

Thanks for any replies...I appreciate it.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:35 AM
Tech Lord

That is not a question to ask others but only to yourself.

Working on a setup can be done with simple tools like a camber gauge and some straight bars. The main importance is that left and right are the same for a well balanced car. If you know how to get there and make small changes to fine tune the setup then there is no need for a setup station.

If you want to copy setups and reproduce older setups then a setup station makes it much easier.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Roelof is spot on...

Ride height guage
Straight edged ruler - pref metal
Digital Vernier Calipers
Droop blocks, (x3 place the ride height gauge on top of the third, can be anything of same height around 10mm)

You will use receivers and servos a lot more than a Setup Station, there are tools you will use 50x more frequently that are essential. So yeah get your priorities and compromises like these sorted in the best way for you.

No it doesn't have to be a Hudy... Yes, we all want one... and it is made beautifully!
Old 06-28-2015, 10:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I started off with just an RPM camber gauge, a ruler and an off cut bit of MDF board. A vernier caliper maybe helpful too. I didn't know numbers, but it was equal and could adjust then depending on tyre wear.

BB
Old 06-29-2015, 12:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a setup station I only really use it for toe and steering throw, I set camber according to tyre wear and ride height on the tyres I'm using for that race/qualifier.

Droop blocks, ride height gauge, vernier, camber gauge and a metal ruler are much more frequently used.