R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-22-2005, 03:50 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Manufacturer Illusion

My Recent Experience with Serpent products and Service
I wonder how many are different??

1. I bought a ZX12 power-pack and it was supplied with incorrect pipe. I had to buy the correct pipe. (Serpent team driver has admitted that the first batch were sent out with an assortment of pipes)
2. Carburettor had faulty o-rings and despite replacements being promised to the local distributor they have yet to arrive months later. We had to import replacements ourselves and rework the slide to get them fitted without damage.
3. Conrods were not up to standard and Serpent introduced a replacement without withdrawing the faulty parts and without an advisory on the inferior one or advice on how to identify the improved part.
4. I bought and fitted the optional 16t pinion gear which stripped the spur gears within minutes. Upon querying this I was told to mesh the gears tighter. This resulted in worn out motor front bearing and it still stripped spurs.
5. More complaints and queries had no response. I then saw a message from a Serpent team driver (on an independent forum) that there was an updated 16t spur (silver). I imported one of these as the local distributor was not aware of the change. This too stripped the spur gears.
6. I have burnt out clutch shoes, pinion bearings and overheated the motor trying to run it on the closest functional (but incorrect) gearing.
7. I purchased a replacement P/L set and it arrived with a different exhaust port height to the original. I still have not received a reply to my query as to which is correct and if it is a defect or an update.
8. These issues have cost us valuable points at our National events.
9. I have just bought a new carburetor in the hope of getting an improved one. The new one arrived and (in addition to not being the same as the old one or as shown on the Serpent website) it too had damaged o-rings. It also had a bent LSN and the slide was sticking due to shocking machining. The HSN was rusted. The quality of the finish is poor especially the inlet. It is as dysfunctional as the first one.

There is no advice or mention of the spur update on the Serpent support website.
Serpent has failed to respond to numerous direct queries on these issues.
There is no mention that the product specifications may change without notice.
There is no disclaimer that the products may not work as described or as claimed.
The wording on their website implies that the products are high quality and will work as claimed.
Despite becoming aware of quality/design problems Serpent have failed to withdraw the faulty parts or remedy the defects in subsequent production- thereby knowingly and deliberately exposing their customers to these defects.
Serpent expects their customers to repair or continually replace defective components at their own expense.

I quote
“MEGA high performance racing IFMAR legal 3-port engine for use at the top-level of 1/10th 200mm scale on-road racing. High end engine with top quality piston and liner set, swiss-made bearings, latest design carburretor, orange cooling head and superbly finished grey anodised crankcase.”
I quote
“Carburettor
This easy to adjust 2 needle carburettor maintains its needle settings, regardless of temperature, thanks to its design and the materials used in its construction. “
This is not the case as the carburettor is untunable with the faulty o-rings and poor machining resulting in damage to the replacements as well as damage to the motor itself.
I quote
“New Low-Inertia Gearbox and Centax-III
To save further weight and increase the car’s pick up the 710 is supplied with an extremely lightweight, well tested new transmission. The gears now feature a finer gear pitch and the reduced weight of the components results in better acceleration. “

If the transmission was ‘well tested’ then they would have discovered the problem with the 16t pinion. Unless they were aware of the problem and decided to release the product to an unsuspecting public regardless?
Despite being made aware of the problem months ago they have still not remedied the problem and are happy to allow their customers to purchase the defective parts and suffer the cost pf the resultant damage.

Their claims are misleading and do not accurately describe the products which they supply.
Despite being aware of the problems and the non-functional parts Serpent have not issued an advisory to their customers or bothered to replace faulty/incorrectly supplied parts or recall the defective components.
All requests for advice and help submitted to the local Serpent distributor and Serpent support(?) have fallen on deaf ears.
This indicates to me that they have an arrogant disregard for their customers and questionable business morals.
Furthermore, the lack of response after they have committed to one is downright bad manners and rude.
s8in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 05:35 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine

I used to run Serpent stuff! I got tird of little or no support and switched to Mugen. I have been happily running their Bullet proof items for 4 years now, and will never go back to Serpent!
Old 10-22-2005, 08:08 PM   #3
Tech Regular

S8in:

I can resume your problem in something very simple, you are not getting support trought your Hobby Shop. Al those problem should be solve by your supplier. At least that is what I do. You can visit our web site www.ethobbydistributor.com . One problem with local hobby shops sometimes, they only sells, they do not run in local tracks or follow updates on brands. Personally I have good communication with serpent and I am starting business with Mugen too. I started my business after feeling that "track racers" are mostly abandoned by LHS, that also cause me before to buy over seas.
Edgar Millenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 09:56 PM   #4
Tech Addict

What country are you in? I'm sorry to hear about your experienes, I on the other hand have not had the same experience, it was the opposite. It is also unfortunate you take your case to the public. If it were the distributor I knew, this wouldn't be happening.

I'll say this as a guy who currently races non serpent products, but when I was running serpent cars and engines I never had any problems with their manufacturing quality. I simply left to try somethign different. So I have nothing to gain or lose by saying this. I had a serpent 950, 710, impact... with no problems with the gears wearing or engine defects (novamega). I had 1 problem building my kit, a phone call to the distributor solved it with a new part on the way. Of course my own driving skills tested their durablity often. At national events, the serpent distributer and team drivers were always helpful. Not only that, they always support our racing series without fail.

Good luck finding resolution to your problems. If it were the serpent distributor I know, you wouldn't have to come here in the first place.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:17 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

Default Location

I am in South Africa.
We do not have a LHS. So I rely on the MyTSN site. As do a lot of other people in the more remote parts of the world I am sure.
The regional distributor is very helpful but he also does not seem to be kept in the loop by Serpent.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:22 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Mugen/Novarossi! Simply the best!
Rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 03:01 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkelley
What country are you in? I'm sorry to hear about your experienes, I on the other hand have not had the same experience, it was the opposite. It is also unfortunate you take your case to the public. If it were the distributor I knew, this wouldn't be happening.

I'll say this as a guy who currently races non serpent products, but when I was running serpent cars and engines I never had any problems with their manufacturing quality. I simply left to try somethign different. So I have nothing to gain or lose by saying this. I had a serpent 950, 710, impact... with no problems with the gears wearing or engine defects (novamega). I had 1 problem building my kit, a phone call to the distributor solved it with a new part on the way. Of course my own driving skills tested their durablity often. At national events, the serpent distributer and team drivers were always helpful. Not only that, they always support our racing series without fail.

Good luck finding resolution to your problems. If it were the serpent distributor I know, you wouldn't have to come here in the first place.
My guess is that Serpent themselves have regretted it heavily that they made the switch to Picco as an engine supplier. The conrod issue was know for years to everybody who has ever run a .12 Picco engine. They are fast, no question but the quality is crap.

One tip, if you have a Novarossi carb, put it on, it'll solve half of your problems.

Edward from Palmaris is producing bullet proof conrods for Picco based .12's, in his known excellent quality. This might just solve the other half of you problem

www.palmarisracing.com
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 03:18 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
My guess is that Serpent themselves have regretted it heavily that they made the switch to Picco as an engine supplier. The conrod issue was know for years to everybody who has ever run a .12 Picco engine. They are fast, no question but the quality is crap.

One tip, if you have a Novarossi carb, put it on, it'll solve half of your problems.

Edward from Palmaris is producing bullet proof conrods for Picco based .12's, in his known excellent quality. This might just solve the other half of you problem

www.palmarisracing.com
If Mega/Serpent promote these engines as High Performance racing engines, and charge good money for them, you should not have to put a novarossi carb or a Palmaris rod in it!!! It is not this guy's (s8in) job to find a solution! IT IS UP TO SERPENT/PICCO TO FIND A SOLUTION QUICKLY!

I have only run Novarossi and RB and the quality of these engines is brilliant! Ultra relable and they are not slow either.

There is no doubt about the speed of Mega engines out of the box, but what is the point if they cant hold tune or go the distance without breaking??? Sirio is another example! Their speed amazes me at the end of the straights but their quality is very questionable! Major problem with crankshafts breaking.

Serpent knows that they have a problem but do nothing about it because people keep buying Mega engines. If people start to boycott Mega, you can be certain that they will have a solution to the problem in very quick time!
Rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:53 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rody
If Mega/Serpent promote these engines as High Performance racing engines, and charge good money for them, you should not have to put a novarossi carb or a Palmaris rod in it!!! It is not this guy's (s8in) job to find a solution! IT IS UP TO SERPENT/PICCO TO FIND A SOLUTION QUICKLY!

I have only run Novarossi and RB and the quality of these engines is brilliant! Ultra relable and they are not slow either.

There is no doubt about the speed of Mega engines out of the box, but what is the point if they cant hold tune or go the distance without breaking??? Sirio is another example! Their speed amazes me at the end of the straights but their quality is very questionable! Major problem with crankshafts breaking.

Serpent knows that they have a problem but do nothing about it because people keep buying Mega engines. If people start to boycott Mega, you can be certain that they will have a solution to the problem in very quick time!
Dunno about RB. My RB V12 Rody only lasted 1 race cuz it overheated and there it went p/s and conrod. I bought it used, and I knew the person before to be very meticulous with his engine (never overheat and always after run). It was basicly brand new when I bought it. I'll be trying to revive my RB in the next week with a new conrod and trying to tighten the sleeve.

I have never had a problem with the Mega Picco carburator and the stock conrod lasted about 1 galon and half before I decided I didnt want to buy a new engine. So I installed the Palmaris conrod in it. I can say there is no difference between both of them other than more top-speed. My current Mega Picco has gone through some overheat (about 280F when ran out of fuel in it). And I can say it still has it top-notch compression.

I'll probably buy a Palmaris engine afterwards just because of the awesome and fast support they give.
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:44 AM   #10
Tech Rookie

Default Solutions?

Some rods last longer than others- but how to tell?

I have got the Palmaris rods and the PR12 arrived last week.

I have to agree with the excellent service and advice given by eduard.

I am hoping the good torque characteristics will make the 16t gear redundant.