Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree20Likes

FASTEST KNOWN NITRO RC CAR?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 03:02 PM
Tech Addict

I guess we are just interested in different things. I could care less about road racing. I like having rediculously fast rc cars that I build myself and just bash in front of the house and do speed runs.

I have respect for nitro cars but I dont think they are worth the hastle. At least for me. The one nitro car I have ever had was an HPI RS4. That was about 10 yrs ago. I quickly regret getting it because it was too much hastle to get it started and tuned everytime. Also too much drama to have to carry glow plugs, extra nitro fuel, tools, ...etc everytime I wanted to use it. Not to mention I was lightheaded from the fumes by the time it was finally ready to run. I also hated the soot and grease that coated the car everytime I used it.

But if you guys dont mind the hassle and dirtiness and slower speeds, more power to you.

BTW, Garmin Forerunner GPS units are known to be very accurate in top speed readings. Usually within 1 or 2 mph of speedtraps. I would say around 80% of speed run cars on youtube use them.

Last edited by tc4basher; 06-17-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tc4basher
I guess we are just interested in different things. I could care less about road racing. I like having rediculously fast rc cars that I build myself and just bash in front of the house and do speed runs.

I have respect for nitro cars but I dont think they are worth the hastle. At least for me. The one nitro car I have ever had was an HPI RS4. That was about 10 yrs ago. I quickly regret getting it because it was too much hastle to get it started and tuned everytime. Also too much drama to have to carry glow plugs, extra nitro fuel, tools, ...etc everytime I wanted to use it. Not to mention I was lightheaded from the fumes by the time it was finally ready to run. I also hated the soot and grease that coated the car everytime I used it.

But if you guys dont mind the hassle and dirtiness and slower speeds, more power to you.

BTW, Garmin Forerunner GPS units are known to be very accurate in top speed readings. Usually within 1 or 2 mph of speedtraps. I would say around 80% of speed run cars on youtube use them.
................. Still not as accurate as a speed trap which is why Guiness does not use Garmin to validate a speed run. You don't even have any videos of those 120mph runs that would partially validate you claimed speed runs. Now if you electric newbees don't mind blowing all your money buying go fast goodies for your electric cars so you can go fast for a few seconds before you lose control of them because they are too fast for you to drive more power to you. Lets just agree to disagree can't compare apples to oranges. Gas and nitro cars have their advantages and so do electric cars.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I combed through this thread and would be terribly remiss if I did not comment. First off, I'm reading that nitro cars are slow—really? Okay, Anyone who has followed the name "Evo 13" on this forum knows I custom build some serious fast Rc's. I've done nitro and electric. So with my experience, let me expound. You want a fast nitro car? First step, don't even let a BS hpi rs4 enter the convo. That car is for rookies. If your doing 1/10, get a mugen mtx6, serpent 748 or some other high quality car. Second, Do you know Uriah from Murnan Modified? Let that man send you one of his modified rbm3's or his mod novi virtus .12 engines. I write from experience of having him build me a mod nitro engine for speed runs before. Third, go ceramic for bearings and go large on the pinions and small on the spur with foams and don't let second gear drop too quick. Now go to a long smooth stretch of road, gun that sucka and get back to this forum with the truth. And I won't mention how to get stupid speed out of a 1/8 lola style nitro pancar.

Next. Nitro vs custom fast electric on the track. Sure you will have more top end speed, but you won't be able to use it. I've put my mod electric cars on the track before and had to turn the throttle down to 25%. Its simply too much power. Now if your on a track like F1's spa, or monza, and have a good downforce body, then nitro won't stand a chance against you due to the crazy long straights, but lets face it, Rc tracks aren't designed like f1 high speed tracks. Therefore, as someone mentioned earlier, lap times may be about the same. Moreover, if your running a hour long main, nitro will destroy you on the pit stops alone for the reasons nitrohead mentioned already.

Lastly, I never understood why people often think that because they have a preference for one thing, by default it is inherently better than something else. If you prefer electric, as I do now for my own reasons, fine, enjoy your electric, but don't knock nitro and vise versa. Different strokes for different folks.

Conclusion: In the Rc game, a car's output is usually limited to you who own it. So to say nitro cars are slow is an implicit admission that a) you have limited experience with it, and, or b) you do not have the creativity and engineering skill to "make it" go fast.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:54 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Evo 13
I combed through this thread and would be terribly remiss if I did not comment. First off, I'm reading that nitro cars are slow—really? Okay, Anyone who has followed the name "Evo 13" on this forum knows I custom build some serious fast Rc's. I've done nitro and electric. So with my experience, let me expound. You want a fast nitro car? First step, don't even let a BS hpi rs4 enter the convo. That car is for rookies. If your doing 1/10, get a mugen mtx6, serpent 748 or some other high quality car. Second, Do you know Uriah from Murnan Modified? Let that man send you one of his modified rbm3's or his mod novi virtus .12 engines. I write from experience of having him build me a mod nitro engine for speed runs before. Third, go ceramic for bearings and go large on the pinions and small on the spur with foams and don't let second gear drop too quick. Now go to a long smooth stretch of road, gun that sucka and get back to this forum with the truth. And I won't mention how to get stupid speed out of a 1/8 lola style nitro pancar.

Next. Nitro vs custom fast electric on the track. Sure you will have more top end speed, but you won't be able to use it. I've put my mod electric cars on the track before and had to turn the throttle down to 25%. Its simply too much power. Now if your on a track like F1's spa, or monza, and have a good downforce body, then nitro won't stand a chance against you due to the crazy long straights, but lets face it, Rc tracks aren't designed like f1 high speed tracks. Therefore, as someone mentioned earlier, lap times may be about the same. Moreover, if your running a hour long main, nitro will destroy you on the pit stops alone for the reasons nitrohead mentioned already.

Lastly, I never understood why people often think that because they have a preference for one thing, by default it is inherently better than something else. If you prefer electric, as I do now for my own reasons, fine, enjoy your electric, but don't knock nitro and vise versa. Different strokes for different folks.

Conclusion: In the Rc game, a car's output is usually limited to you who own it. So to say nitro cars are slow is an implicit admission that a) you have limited experience with it, and, or b) you do not have the creativity and engineering skill to "make it" go fast.
As I said earlier Ive only owned 1 nitro car and that was at least 10 yrs ago so obviously I have limited experience and knowledge.

Its a known fact that electrics are better for top speed (202 mph world record by Nic Case). Its not me "having preference" and "by default thinking its better for top speed." Its simply fact. All that I am talking about is TOP SPEED.

I never meant for this thread to become a debate. I originally startef it because I was curious if my friend who works at a LHS is fibbing about his "200 mph" 1/10 nitro car. And by everyones response he probably is fibbing since the fastest anyone here knows about goes 120 mph.

202 > 120

Last edited by tc4basher; 06-17-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:18 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nitrohead5300
................. Still not as accurate as a speed trap which is why Guiness does not use Garmin to validate a speed run. You don't even have any videos of those 120mph runs that would partially validate you claimed speed runs. Now if you electric newbees don't mind blowing all your money buying go fast goodies for your electric cars so you can go fast for a few seconds before you lose control of them because they are too fast for you to drive more power to you. Lets just agree to disagree can't compare apples to oranges. Gas and nitro cars have their advantages and so do electric cars.
I could care less if you believe me or not. The setups I am running are very common and many have gone faster with them. I am a good enough driver that I almost never crash. Thats not to say that bad things dont happen sometimes due to blown tires, stripped spurs causing no brakes, 6+ ft high liftoffs..etc. Haha. Here is what I am running:

1. Team associated tc4 with 7700kv 1406 castle motor, Mamba monster 2 esc, 4s, geared 3.0 - 128 mph

2. OFNA GTP2E with 2200kv castle motor, Mamba monster 2 esc, 6s, geared at 3.3 - 120 mph

3. Kyosho Inferno gt2 ve with 1600kv Leopard motor, Castle XL2 esc, 8s, geared at 4.1 - 120 mph

Very common and simple setups. Anyone with knowledge of brushless should know these speeds are very possible. They are actually quite commonplace if you go on youtube.

Last edited by tc4basher; 06-17-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

You are the one who is talking the talk all I am asking is video to verify your claims. Something to think about those tether cars that go around in circles are using a motor that is very similar to nitro motors and have reached speeds of 200 miles an hour or more.....the potential for nitro rc cars to reach a speed higher than 120mph is there, it is gonna take alot of work but I feel it is attainable. But I also feel that any rc -car that can run over a 100 miles an hour for safety reason needs to be ran on a closed course. All it would take is a little toddler getting hurt by somebody running one of these extreme cars and we would prob get banned .
Old 06-17-2015, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

If you spent time at an IC track with IC runners, you would realise top speeds aren't what we're all about, if it were, we'd run electric as well.

We're al RC lovers but like anything in life, we have our preferences and unless you care less, we may be offended. It's a common issue in RC where one person diminishes another persons car or performance. Ultimately many do this for enjoyment and comparing EP and NItro is like comparing chalk and cheese.

For me, working with transmissions, clutches, engine tune and mods is the core interest. My son works in a RC shop and if he had a dollar for every time someone wanted the FASTEST, he'd be a rich man. In truth performance in a straight line is not what Nitro IC is about.

We enjoy the camaraderie, the struggle to tune and get our cars into a performance range to enjoy racing with others. We all started with the "need for speed" many of us moved on and tackled the task of endurance, cornering performance and strategy.

I hope you dont read this as offensive, Im trying to convey the point that we race Nitro cars for many reasons and EP can't provide us with a sense of achievement that we have completing a long 45 minute final and rubbing shoulders with our mates during pitstops etc.

If moving at 56m per second takes your fancy, we get it! Consider there are many other contributing factors that make up a Nitro RC car and debating over top speed seems pointless when it counts for very little in this thread.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blis
We all started with the "need for speed" many of us moved on and tackled the task of endurance, cornering performance and strategy.
Many should meditate on this quote. Truer words were never spoken. Many of us started this way.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Evo 13
Many should meditate on this quote. Truer words were never spoken. Many of us started this way.
Speed has always been what I am into. It all started when I was about 15 with real cars.

I had my fun going fast with real cars until I started getting back into RC about a year ago after about 6 or 7 yrs. The brushless technology had come such a long way that I was pretty blown away. I couldnt resist but to take advantage of this technology. The speed gives me my "quick fix". I'm a speed junky whether we are talking about real cars or rc cars. But on a real road, not a tether. Haha.

This was never meant to be a debate about nitro vs electric. I started getting flamed when I said something like, " You would think that with 100+ yrs of combustion engine technology that nitro rc cars would be going faster than 100 or 120 mph". I still believe this is a valid statement.

I respect nitro cars and the nitro enthusiasts that everyone in this thread is besides me. But I guess we really are comparing apples to oranges and that we agree to disagree. Sorry to offend anyone.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

You didn't offend me , I am sorry if I offended you . I am a old artist and when I went to art school we would debate & critique each others work, sometimes it would get quite intense. Sometimes I forget I am not in art school.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tc4basher
Speed has always been what I am into. It all started when I was about 15 with real cars.

I had my fun going fast with real cars until I started getting back into RC about a year ago after about 6 or 7 yrs. The brushless technology had come such a long way that I was pretty blown away. I couldnt resist but to take advantage of this technology. The speed gives me my "quick fix". I'm a speed junky whether we are talking about real cars or rc cars. But on a real road, not a tether. Haha.

This was never meant to be a debate about nitro vs electric. I started getting flamed when I said something like, " You would think that with 100+ yrs of combustion engine technology that nitro rc cars would be going faster than 100 or 120 mph". I still believe this is a valid statement.

I respect nitro cars and the nitro enthusiasts that everyone in this thread is besides me. But I guess we really are comparing apples to oranges and that we agree to disagree. Sorry to offend anyone.

T4,

I did a rough calculation once, at 100kph or 60mph a nitro 1/10 tourer uses 1/2 its horsepower pushing thru the wind/atmosphere
Old 06-19-2015, 05:13 AM
Tech Master

My concern is with the speeds going up we really need closed circuit tracks to run our cars on they are getting too fast to run on public roads. A friend of mine got a ticket for disturbing the peace and public endangerment for running his car on a public road. All it would take is one child to be injured by one of these high powered cars and we all get banned from running on public streets.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:39 AM
Tech Master

Take a look at this link , these guys are lucky she did not sue them. Here is the link .....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tChhRyvLoMY
Old 06-19-2015, 05:50 AM
Tech Master

Here is another video showing someone being irresponsible he has no business running his monster truck at a bike park and he is lucky that little girls Dad didn't sue him or stuff that monster truck up his butt. Here is the link......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHZJv8APS-c People being irresponsible like this guy could lead to us being banned from running our cars in public parks or public streets.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:54 AM
Tech Lord

This is going on with the Traxxas XO-1. Spoiled kids do get this car and do wreck it at the 1st run....

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...nt-2015-a.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.