Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Build Complete: HPI Nitro RS4 3 Evo+ >

Build Complete: HPI Nitro RS4 3 Evo+

Build Complete: HPI Nitro RS4 3 Evo+

Old 12-30-2015, 10:45 PM
Tech Regular

Wow! How did I miss this thread for so long? I guess I never paid much attention to this particular Nitro RS4 to notice how it has evolved into nice street basher. Very nice indeed. Thanks for all the great pics.

I have the original Nitro RS4, which is somewhere around 15 years old now. It was my first nitro car and my first 4WD car and it started an obsession with RS4s that lasted for many years.

I've built 8 different variations of the original belt-driven RS4, some multiple times and I had the new Sport 3 Flux for a short time as well. I don't run RS4s much anymore. I've moved on to WR8s for street bashing but I occasionally fire mine up and let it rip.
Attached Thumbnails Build Complete: HPI Nitro RS4 3 Evo+-img_5349.jpg   Build Complete: HPI Nitro RS4 3 Evo+-img_5351.jpg   Build Complete: HPI Nitro RS4 3 Evo+-img_5353.jpg  
Old 12-31-2015, 03:12 AM
Tech Elite

Great pics too
Old 12-31-2015, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

That's a great looking body. Looks like a Zonda, or is it a McLaren? Is that a 12R SS engine in yours? I have a couple of those engines but I haven't run them. I've heard they wear out fast; what's your experience been?

You should get a primerless "racing" fuel tank while they're still available. They don't leak like the stock fuel tank and they have a built-in fuel filter.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:00 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks. That's the Zonda. As you might have noticed, that body and those wheels and tires have not seen any road time. I have another Zonda body that I run with plus a Diablo and a Murcielago. Those are a bit more scraped up. I also keep my ride height a little higher because the street demands it. The .12R SS has been a fine engine for me and still runs well even though the car tends to sit for long periods of time. I had the .15SS in it for a few years but that combined with the 2-speed was just too ridiculous for a bit of fun in the street. I like the .12R much better in this car for the stretch of road I run it on.

Thanks for the fuel tank tip. I replaced the original tank with a newer one a few years back. That primerless tank looks pretty hard to come by. I'll have to keep an eye out for one on eBay.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:17 AM
Tech Elite

I'd love a Murcielago body to go with my RS4 3 SS chassis. Sadly it's one of many bodies HPI decided to discontinue, because reasons. At least the E30 body on my rally-converted chassis is still widely available.

If I believe the stock indicators, Tony's Hobbies still has the racing tank, as does Hobby Hobby in Canada.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:05 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah, I dunno if it was a licensing issue or perhaps it wasn't popular but I was disappointed to see the Murcielago bodies disappear before I could get another one. I'm always on the lookout for Lamborghini bodies and the DeTomaso Pantera is tempting as well. I wish someone would make an Aventador or Huracan. We need new Lambos!
Old 01-01-2016, 10:44 PM
Tech Elite

Lamborghini lost my interest (like it matters, I guess) when all their cars started looking like the Batmobile. I loved the Diablo and the Murcielago, I don't have much use for the newer ones.

So, I forgot I uploaded a running video if you'd like to see it:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

I've been overhauling my RC collection this past winter, and my RS4 got some attention too. I already installed titanium steering turnbuckles, heavy-duty drive cups, ceramic bearings, and a stainless-steel suspension pin kit, but there was one big thing left to do, and it took so long because first I had to figure out *how*:

Get better shocks.

The shocks that I'd been using on this car were from the Turnigy Mini Brushless Buggy, and they were okay, but I wanted something better. I also wanted something that matched the rest of the car. Well, after months of occasional research, I figured out how to get the shocks I wanted.

These shocks are actually made of parts from four different companies. The purple bits are made by Max Speed Technology, the 60mm bodies are made by Yeah Racing, the internals are made by Tamiya, and the springs and lower eyelets are made by HPI.

It all fit together flawlessly, with only a bit of heatshrink around the top coils of the springs necessary to remove a bit of slop. Better shocks means I can run actual shock oil, instead of diff oil, to get the damping I need: 60wt (800cSt) in the front and 100wt (1200cSt) in the rear.

I also mounted some fresh rubber, as the first set of tires were pretty badly worn after a summer of rough driving. This time I'm going with D-compound tires instead of S-compound, but I'm banking on the tread pattern providing enough mechanical grip to make up for the harder rubber, and hoping the harder rubber will last longer. (not that I dislike gluing tires, of course...) And as a finishing touch, I shimmed the suspension to remove the last tiny bit of slop.

All buttoned-up and ready to go. Still running the original body, which is frankly amazing considering how badly I thrashed it last summer. Seriously, some of my crashes were worthy of motorsport crash montages, end-over-end and all that. This body is built like a tank. I feel better about all the work I put into those decals, now that I know the body will last a long time.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 11-23-2017 at 03:22 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Good looking car. Where are you at in NoVA? I'm in DC and it's insane to me that a city of this size has no R/C community that I've been able to find.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:04 PM
Tech Elite

I'm in Herndon. There's parking-lot racing on Sundays in Manassas, and there's a good hobby shop in Chantilly, and I think there's a track in Fredericksburg, but yeah, nothing close to DC itself. Any idea if RCs are allowed on the Mall?
Old 04-26-2016, 06:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Looks awesome !
Old 04-26-2016, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2016, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

I finally got around to dynoing this car:

44mph. Not too shabby considering the box said "50mph", I'm running the engine with a conservative fuel mixture, and I converted it from 2-gear to single-gear to make it more controllable. That means, even with the de-tuning, it's still the fastest RC I own by about 4mph, beating out my Tamiya XV-01 TC-R rear-motor Porsche.

I should probably put a new wing on it at some point. (the stock wing was destroyed in a crash long ago.) But where to find a wing that won't look stupid on a BMW E30?

Last edited by fyrstormer; 11-23-2017 at 03:23 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:20 PM
Tech Rookie

wow some build!!

i was wondering if you still have that 3rd spare sway bar kit?
if you still have it, would you sell it ?
im have the same car but since they dicontinued the kit, its impossible to get one.

thx
Old 10-13-2016, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Sorry, I don't have it anymore. Yeah, they're incredibly hard to find nowadays. Most of the ones I've seen are pre-installed on used RS4s.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service