Wiki Posts
Search

fastkolor & airbrushing

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2002, 11:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default fastkolor & airbrushing

hey all hows it going? I just bought a paasche VL air brush and its great. But I am having a couple of problems,1st when i start to paint the paint does not come out of the brush, i am not sure if i have the paint to thick. I have tried to use more denatured alcohol, then paint. I.E. i used 60% alcohol and 40%paint. I am using a 5 gal. compressor and I have my PSI set to 25. My second problem is that I can not seem to get the fastkolor paint to work correctly in my airbrush, when i mix the denatured alcolohol w/ the paint the paint becomes choppy and seperates into separate parts, so i think that the paint is cloggin up my airbrush, and I am using the same ratio 60%alcohol and %40 paint and agin i have tried more paint then alcohol and vise vera......

THanks Jason
Old 10-13-2002, 01:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: fastkolor & airbrushing

Originally posted by jscamry
hey all hows it going? I just bought a paasche VL air brush and its great. But I am having a couple of problems,1st when i start to paint the paint does not come out of the brush, i am not sure if i have the paint to thick. I have tried to use more denatured alcohol, then paint. I.E. i used 60% alcohol and 40%paint. I am using a 5 gal. compressor and I have my PSI set to 25. My second problem is that I can not seem to get the fastkolor paint to work correctly in my airbrush, when i mix the denatured alcolohol w/ the paint the paint becomes choppy and seperates into separate parts, so i think that the paint is cloggin up my airbrush, and I am using the same ratio 60%alcohol and %40 paint and agin i have tried more paint then alcohol and vise vera......

THanks Jason
First you need about 60 70 psi for the air brush and the denatured alchol uis only for cleaning if you want to thin it down try some water.........
Old 10-13-2002, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Jason

I use Faskolor with my VL at 35 - 40 psi. It looks like the pressure is too low/paint too thick/wrong thinner.

As the previous post said, use water to thin Faskolor. The alcohol will do exactly what you're getting. On metallics it's even worst, the flakes clump together.

The paint should have the consistency of milk and use the middle needle/aircap size #3. You should have gotten 3 sizes.

BTW the VL's max psi is 75.
Old 10-15-2002, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Sydewynder
Jason

I use Faskolor with my VL at 35 - 40 psi. It looks like the pressure is too low/paint too thick/wrong thinner.

As the previous post said, use water to thin Faskolor. The alcohol will do exactly what you're getting. On metallics it's even worst, the flakes clump together.

The paint should have the consistency of milk and use the middle needle/aircap size #3. You should have gotten 3 sizes.

BTW the VL's max psi is 75.
Yep at least 60 lbs. Createx also sells something called Additive Catalyst, that thins Parma well also. One drop per paint cup is all it takes. I only thin it to do fine line work and to allow me to drop pressure to around 45 to 50 lbs.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

If you are using Faskolor, for the most part you can just shoot it straight as it comes from the bottle, but for fine detail, use some water to thin the paint. Faskolor is not lacquer based paint, and so you don't need the alcohol thinners required for those paints. As everyone else said, acrylic based paints ( faskolor and pactra acryl) need to be sprayed at higher pressures then you are using. I like 45-60 personally for pactra acryl, I believe Faskolor should be sprayed on higher psi.
When you're done with one color, flush outthe brush with water then go tothe next color. When you are done, use water again, and possibly windshield cleaner, because this stuff is thick and generally doesn't like coming out of the airbrush.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Red face

check that I meant to say 35-50 psi for these paints sometimes up to 60psi is what I like.