R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-12-2005, 10:35 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Drag Brake

I've heard a lot of top driver using drag brake. I'm driving a Serpent 710 with front one way. what is the best way to set up the drag brake? Anyone who has experience with drag brake please share the pro and con of it. Thanks
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:39 AM   #2
Tech Master

Setting up drag braking is pretty simple. You turn on your radio and leave everything in the neutral position. Then you just tighten your brake adjustment thumbscrew until there is just a little bit of resistance when you roll the car. What this does is give just a touch of braking when you release the throttle. You can free roll if you barely keep the throttle cracked open. I used this setup most when I ran a one way on a permanent high bite track. Mid corner adjustments were easier because letting off the throttle mid turn would give you just a touch of brakes and allow the car to slow a bit without spinning out.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 01:56 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

beware this will add more stress/wear on the brake and clutch. another method would be find a rubber band that counter pulls on your trigger that will give you the same effect and tunable on the fly.
dshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:14 PM   #4
Tech Master

What!? A rubber band isn't going to do the job. You might as well tell him to press on the brake just a little bit so it acts like drag brake. If you want to adjust the amount of drag brake you can use the radio trim while you are racing. Also the pressure you exert on the servo is very small. With drag brakes you want a very small amount of braking. I effect you want is kinda like coasting up hill.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:18 AM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
What!? A rubber band isn't going to do the job. You might as well tell him to press on the brake just a little bit so it acts like drag brake. If you want to adjust the amount of drag brake you can use the radio trim while you are racing. Also the pressure you exert on the servo is very small. With drag brakes you want a very small amount of braking. I effect you want is kinda like coasting up hill.
I use the trim to increase the drag brake during racing. The more drag brake you run the more it will tun in off power. You will know when there is too much as the car will spin out off power.

If you have a 3PK then adjust the trim so it increases in 2% increments per click instead of the default 5% this will give you more control over the amount you add.

Cheers

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:54 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine

I have a friend of mine tat uses drag brake, and after 3 minutes the brakes heat up and puts too much drag on the drive train. I would say don't use drag brake. Use the anti-lock feature that seems to be present in most modern radios. I think it will be more consistent once you have it set up right.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:11 AM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slotmachine
I have a friend of mine tat uses drag brake, and after 3 minutes the brakes heat up and puts too much drag on the drive train. I would say don't use drag brake. Use the anti-lock feature that seems to be present in most modern radios. I think it will be more consistent once you have it set up right.

Your friend has too much drag brake if he is overheating the brakes. You only want to have a little. I like having just a little bit of drag brake because it gives me better response when I transition between throtle and brake. There isn't a dead zone at neutral trigger that way.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:38 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

Default Brakes

Set the initial drag on the car linkage and the max braking on the radio (endpoint)

Then it can be fine tuned during the race with the throttle/brake trim.
s8in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:27 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the comments guys. I'll try to set up drag brake in my 710 and see what is the result.
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:49 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

Thanks all for the "Drag Brake" setup, looking forward to trying it on my
V One S, it may just suit the way I drive (and my radio).

One question while the topic has been brought up, how does the "Anit-Lock" feature work on a modern radio ?

I currently just have a simple two channel basic radio, carried over from my years in RC Gliding, so I am not up with the latest computer radio's just yet.

Thanks inadvance
texasRanger is offline   Reply With Quote