Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Mugen MRX5 WC or HPI R8? >

Mugen MRX5 WC or HPI R8?

Mugen MRX5 WC or HPI R8?

Old 03-15-2015, 06:19 PM
Tech Adept

Default Mugen MRX5 WC or HPI R8?

Well I am getting back into on-road racing after about ~12 years. I am already in the process of building a new 1/10 car, but want to also build a 1/8. I am currently looking at these two models, and wonder which one. I know Tower offers the Mugen, and I would have to purchase the R8 from overseas. Heard Mugen is about to come out with the MRX6, but do not think the changes will be significant enough for me to get it if and when it comes out.

I am hoping that someone in the states will carry the R8, so that parts will be easier to get. Get the Mugen (even though the new one is coming), or the R8 (betting on the fact that someone in the US will carry it in the near future)?

I know Mugen and HPI, and would rather not venture into any other models. Really leaning towards the R8..

Thanks
Old 03-15-2015, 08:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

It more based on how easy you will or will not be able to get spares etc. Given the HB car is new it's hard to say. You should be able to pick up a used Mugen MRX5 for a great deal, and there are a bunch of spares everywhere. The most frustrating thing is when parts are not available, it takes the fun out of it . Prime example Motonica spares dried up, and thankfully I have my fair stash and parts cars. Also let the HB establish a track record not that it goes the way of the Proceed. Personally having run the Mugen cars MRX2 - 4 I love their quality and are built well, heck you can still get spares for the 3 and the 4.

Another thought, how many HB R10's are there floating around on the track? I know Tower and Amain both carry spares for it, yet I have not seen one R10 in my neck of the woods.

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 03-16-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:12 AM
Tech Adept

What are the chances that HPI will release the R8 in the states? Don't they normally eventually release most things in the US?
Old 03-16-2015, 08:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R10 Rob
What are the chances that HPI will release the R8 in the states? Don't they normally eventually release most things in the US?
I guess its a matter of supply and demand. You could inquire with them directly perhaps.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R10 Rob
Hobbico are now US distributor for HPI/HotBodies. Hobbico is also same owned by same people who own Tower Hobbies. I think it is a case that Hobbico don't believe their is a market for it in the US so they aren't planning on bringing it in.

It's a shame, but other options available.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:07 PM
Tech Master

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Seen way too many HB cars become hard to get and spares for them as well. I'd be weary about that one. I see tons of Mugen though. Consider adding Serpent to you list as well.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:29 AM
Tech Lord

Problem is that HPI knows a wide range of shops on almost every corner of the street but only the RTR models will be found there. No HPI shops or even HPI distributors will support cars like these because the one they will sell will cot them more than it will bring money.

Only the shops specialized in racing materials will support this car.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Go Mugen! Better Quality IMHO and a proven Heavy Hitter 8 )
Old 03-25-2015, 11:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I know you said you want to stick with Mugen or HPI, but why not a Serpent 977?
Old 03-25-2015, 05:32 PM
Tech Addict

The MRX6 is due to come out at the end of April or the beginning of May! I would wait to see what the new car has to offer you. Also there are many shops to buy Mugen from. The have their own website for the public to purchase from as well. WWW.MUGENRACING.COM! give it a try!
Old 04-03-2015, 05:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Mugen Mugen !
Old 05-13-2015, 06:20 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default ARC R8.0

this is a high performance car with the capabilities of being the most competitive car on the market......