R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-15-2006, 12:44 PM   #91
Tech Initiate

Talked to both Mugen and Shepherd at the Nurnberg fair, they are do not intend to start up production...
My good friend Luc build a 235 from a 200mm, put tremendous much effort in it, looked great, but the original chassis is not long enough.
shorter wheelbase: very nervous car.
Somebody in Australia did the same with a bit more luck, car was very driveable( have some pics if anybody is interested)
Somebody in germany won a race with a modified 200mm, but the car has been tested at Serpent HQ, and they found no real benefit in his creation.
But dear parts?
The 835 is one of the cheapest cars at the moment I believe.
And let us not forget: the easyest car to set up.( no choise between front diff/fixed/oneway, rollcenters and anything else a beginner messes up with)
I do not really believe a totally new car from one brand only would revive the class, but that is my humble opinion.
Some competion in brands, would more likely do the trick, so Palmaris go for it!!
willy wuyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:15 AM   #92
Tech Adept

(Palmaris Europe -Bob, whats your take on us running modified 200mm cars (same as the MVX-4 in the other thread) in the BRCA nats if it gets bigger numbers.)

I'm all for it - The rules say nothing about who's parts you use on your car and a 200 mm car fits the wheelbase length requirements.
( The UK tracks are classed as small by European standards so a shorter car might work better - the 710 drivers are shortening their cars by 4mm )

As I stated earlier - some of the reason for lack of interest in 235 is that only one manufacturer is producing a car.
People like to have a choice - even if most of them end up with the same car.

( willy wuyts - And let us not forget: the easyest car to set up.( no choice between front diff/fixed/oneway, rollcenters and anything else a beginner messes up with)

Yes - but then you never learn anything more about the car. If you don't want to change anything then just set it to the book and leave it alone. The new set up books supplied with the serpent 710 and 960 are a great read and allow educated changes to see what happens.

Part of the fun in this hobby is testing and practice to see if you are actually using the best set-up for your car.
Bob The Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:44 AM   #93
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Hey Willy how goes your Mirage project?

It would be great to have 235mm back as it once was but I think it will be a long wait.

That's interesting that Serpent tested the other 235mm/710 that I did see in a result on their site once but if they didn't think there was any advantage over their standard 835 platform then I guess they don't know what their talking about.

If they take that line of thinking the old impulse would still cut it in 200mm.

Maybe they couldn't see the sense in building one because they just don't have the competition. That would be more understandable.

The Mirage was an awesome car that had every adjustment that the 710 had, so it had plenty of set-up options. Just a pity that the class declined so much.

Craig
Old 05-16-2006, 05:11 AM   #94
Tech Initiate

Hi Craig, small world we live in :-)

Do not know the exact details of the testing of the German build 235mm, but I think it was Julius Kollf who told me it was not a big advantage. Might have to do with the shorter chassis.
Your's was based on a longer chassis, I think that is an advantage.
"our" mirage project is very good looking, but soooo nervous...
Pity my friend has a very busy professional life, and with more testing things might look different.

It is indeed understandable Serpent finds no need to build another 235mm, if there is no competition..
Not much we can do about that...
willy wuyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:06 AM   #95
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Yes it can be small at times.

I don't know much about the German car all I ever saw was a result posted at MyTsn that had the car listed as winning. I don't check the Serpent site much now that I run a RRR so I don't know if they did a follow up at all.

After I decided not to run the 235mm class anymore I converted the Mirage back into a 710. I ran it for a while but evertually sold it and started running the Kyosho.

I kept (somewhere around) all of the parts that went into making up the Mirage so you never know if the 235mm class gets going I might just buy another 710 and build it into another Mirage.

I think I made two chassis's with another all drilled out ready to be cut and milled into shape but it was a while ago now so I'd have to look to be sure.

I think the car was a great advantage over the 835 as at the time I was running it we were preparing to go to the Worlds that they cancelled in Brazil.
We were running the Mirage with a sedan body against 835's with Porsche 962 bodies and it was more than a match for them.