R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-13-2005, 07:07 PM   #31
Tech Rookie

Default 2 wheel drive 835 for real drivers

In Montreal we race our 835s with 2 wheel drive only, Of coarse you have to be very patient to find the proper setup of the car and also to learn to drive with a great deal of finesse, we are not alot that are receing this class, just for the simple reason that as a 2wheel drive it is very dificult to drive it well, so guys just giveup and race the little 710s,but thats okay, cause the competition is hot, as for the guy who said that he was lapping the 835s with his 710........well the only 835s that he was lapping were the ones that were off the track.
One belt, one diff, no tire ratios, cheap easy and fast.....what a hobby should be!!!!!!!!!!

Later Dave.
David Szigeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 10:08 AM   #32
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

2wd is real nice to race, nervous and very responsive. The car feels light and fast..... As David said it is a little longer to find the right setup, but once you get it, it is for sure faster than a 710....
JLMG1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 02:15 PM   #33
Tech Master

Get over to 3hobby.net and see the video of the National 235 race at Tibshelf. Its awesome!!

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 06:49 PM   #34
Tech Rookie

Hi Guys, Serpent 835 is a great car very thought and reliable. I had one too. If you want to encourage the class, you have to make it easer to drive for beginners not harder. 2WD on a, even slightly slippery track, is impossible to drive but a 4WD is very very easy to drive by far. Some guys say: but what about cost. 2WD is cheaper, yes it is, if traction is very good, but if it is not you sleep and slid and brake the car, that is costly too. Yes 4WD has 4 more bearings, 2 more dog bones and two more belts. But you do not need a pro diff. in the back, less maintenance on that part. So how many times you have to change your bearings in a season, not much so not very costly there too. But belts and gears sometimes you have to change, that is a small price to pay for so much more traction and handling. Also, don’t forget in Montreal we have been using VP witch costs the Club an extra $800 a barrel and $350 a barrel of methanol and all this is on top of sugar and water. You have to admit it is costly to accommodate 2WD verses 4WD. If the 4WD’s extra bearings, belts, gears and dog bones are “soooo” much more expensive to race, I wonder why the 200mm class is growing? So, I don’t think cost and maintenance is an issue here. You should use all the advantages that the 835 has over 200mm and pout away the disadvantageous. Go 4WD to make it easy driving. Get rid of Lola bodies because they are simply ugly verses all the other bodies. Go 5 port turbo or outlaw engines so you blow the doors off the 200mm’s. This is only an opinion maybe I’m right maybe I’m wrong. I would be sad to see this class disappear it is easy to set up, easy to work on and lots a place for radio equipment.

Good luck.
coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:24 PM   #35
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to DaRaceMasta

hmm id definatly agree on that one "COCO", if theres a good number of 235mm cars, 10 or 15 then keep racing, the class will have a better chance of coming back when people see how well they go and really quick they are and Mugen USA for eg see you guys racing them may make them think about bringing their 235mm back and then you guys will not just have serpent but also Mugen and from there just organise events and post info on the websites all over, and the best one would be this web site which has drivers from many countries and im sure that companys are browsing these forums to get some feedback on their cars popularity so dont give up and within 5 or even less yrs 235mm will come back.
DaRaceMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 08:15 AM   #36
Tech Rookie

Default 235

Coco...........you guys allready have 2 classes with 4wheel drive, youstill have to put sugar and vht..............and plus you want to put a 5 port engine in the 835...........i can not believe this comeing from a guy who gave up on the 835 so easily........way too much opinion from a guy who races a 710 and not a 835...........play with your class and leave ours alone. Our club is allready almost dead because of the way you guys run our club!!!!!!!!!! Keep up the good work..............Lets make it even more expensive for the racers..............What.........you want to charge us to race every season but you dont want to buy VHT..........you are starting to make me sick........

Dave.........
Old 10-15-2005, 08:46 AM   #37
Tech Regular

I completely agree with David.... I don't want to comment on how the club is being run because that defeats the pourpose of this threat, but I agree...
About VHT, there are less expensive formulas that work as good as VP, I recently read somewhere about MountainDew syrop + castor oil + plus alcohol. Besides we were running impacts 2wd some years ago with no VP, only sugar and water and traction was good..... you only have to get the right setup....
5 port engine, turbo..... please that must be a joke right..... My Mega MS Evo 4 3 ports is plenty fast, and it blows any 200mm 4wd (read 710). What is needed is not insane powerful engines, it is better to know how to drive and how to setup the car.....
I hope this threat does not deviate from what it is intended for, trying to keep the 235mm class alive!!!!
Old 10-15-2005, 09:08 AM   #38
Tech Rookie

Hi Dave, this is not a personal attack!!!. It is an opinion. In the free world I think I have the right to my opinions NO??. So why the "harsh" words. And if you noticed I deleted my post in our forum so not to disturb our club, even if it is for the better. By the way the 4WD 200mm class always complained about VP because of traction rolls. I am glad that you see the club is passing through some though times, so it is very critical that the ALL the members specially the elders to do some simple sacrifices to encourage NEW members by attracting them in to the club in every way.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:05 AM   #39
Tech Rookie

Hey guys we all know what is better and what is not good, about racing. What is good for someone is not necessary good for someone else. Setup of a car is very personal, so you cannot generalize. I did not say 2WD and turbo, I sad “4WD and Turbo” Here is an example of what I mean. The elites of our club including me, knew very well our track dose not handle 1/8th class right? But we still both them right? That is the human nature, always running after greed and power. So use this to your advantage to revive the class so let the 235 class too it’s “full potential maximum power and maximum handling”. Tern it loose, stop pouting limits on it. It seams like you guys are more interested in what is appropriate for you and not for the 235 class. Imagine a new guy come to the club and you have to suggest him to buy a car. Would you suggest 2WD or 4WD?. So use the easy way to promote the class. PS: We are fitting for the same goal, not against each other. And if any body gets dizzy and sick he or she, should take two Aspirins and see a doctor. Please kindly read this post as an opinion and suggestions, not as an ultimatum. Also please forward all personal thoughts to my E-mail not in the forums please.

Thank you and best regards.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:48 AM   #40
Tech Regular

Coco thanks for you opinion, but I think you better go discuss club issues to the club's own website. I think I made clear and even the tittle says it, this threat is intended to try to revive the 235mm class. Nobody here (besides the rcmontreal.com club members) care about what issues we have in our club.
You are welcome to comment, if you like, about THE 235MM CLASS.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:06 AM   #41
Tech Rookie

Default 835ers

Years ago,myself, enzo, micheal,and Daniel, Started up this club many years ago in a parkinglot at Duval Wolkswagen, we only used sugar, Never anything else....the conditions were the same for everyone, whoever found the best setup and lasted the 30 minutes won the race, no one ever complained. To race is easy...........To win is not!!!! If winning was easy and there would not be any chalenge, what would be the point.....If you are looking for a car that will make anyone a champian instantly........it aint gonna happen.........it takes alot of trials and errors.........
Yes the 835 is a difficult car to drive......but for us who love the challenge love it alot........to turn it into a 4x4, 5 port monster, well then you might as well drive the 950, you guys already have 2 4x4 classes....

If you really want to make the raceing as easy as possible for everyone, and to try to make it as fare as possible for everyone, new racers and old, eliminate all of the mods, polishing, porting ect...

And to finalize what i think.......
there are alot of other much more urgent things that we need to fix, before doubling the price of the engines that we are now using in the 835 class.

So how about we fix whats broken, and leave the good things intact for now.

JUST MY OPINION!!!!!!!!!
DAVE..........
Old 10-15-2005, 11:24 AM   #42
Tech Rookie

Noted guys
Old 10-16-2005, 10:54 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Toledo uses the castor/alchohol/dew mix. The traction is extremely high & very consistant. I found it far superior to VHT. Far more predictable, cheaper too (I think).
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 12:33 PM   #44
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Szigeti
as for the guy who said that he was lapping the 835s with his 710........well the only 835s that he was lapping were the ones that were off the track.
I used to lap 835s regularly during practice and put in better lap times during qualifiers and finals numerous times with a stock MTX3. You're right in assuming that 835 are faster than sedans, but they are difficult to control in 2wd and of course that is why I made better times with a sedan. I never raced 835s but wanted to and would like to try it sometimes. I would love to see this class prosper. I definately don't think that it's a class for beginners in 2wd.

Ray
Old 10-16-2005, 12:58 PM   #45
Tech Initiate

Default 2WD

That is one of the main reasons new drivers will not start to race 235, too difficult to setup right, not attractive enough!!
For two years now we race in 4WD and we do not see a big rise in cost.
One frontbelt and a side belt a season, and that's about it.
But the funfactor goes up 60%!!!!
More:in 2wd I needed several wheelblocks, and bodys each year, due to the many crashes and poor handling.
Now: 1 body a season, and 1 wheelblock when my battery wire got loose, and I had a runaway.
willy wuyts is offline   Reply With Quote