R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-09-2005, 03:57 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Upgrades for NTC3

I bought a NTC3 a year and a half ago and just got around to building it. I just ordered a brand new Jr xs3 off ebay but, it doesnt come with an on/off switch can i purchase this switch seperately? and also what upgrades should i get after I get used to driving the car ? Thanks for any help...
CHEWY078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 02:05 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yes, you could buy the switch separately. For your car, you can beef up the front end more...get tc4 cvds, they're alot bigger and stronger, also get the aluminum main shaft input...the plastic one tends to break easily. k factory makes one and works great, also titanium turnbuckles would be nice to have on the car..oyeah you might get mtx3 centax clutch later on, it's a good investment . hope this help...i'm sure there are more other inputs how to make upgrades the car but this is what i can think of right now
luketob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 02:27 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to Aphinity Send a message via AIM to Aphinity Send a message via Yahoo to Aphinity Send a message via Skype™ to Aphinity

GWS makes some very cheap on/off switches. I put one on mine in the same predicament you were in yourself.

If you don't have V2 rear suspension, do that first. Titanium turnbuckles are always a good idea. I picked up an MIP clutch for my car too; I've heard the centax clutches on our cars are just too picky and difficult to get parts for, and the MIP clutch works great for me. I don't like how long the factory clutch 'hangs on' to the motor when decellerating, but this can be changed with clutch shoe trimming, I'm sure. I didn't bother.. I just changed it with the MIP and never looked back.

Pick up a set of red springs for front and rear and some 50 weight oil too, then get yourself either one or two blade sway bars for the front (and back), or just a regular 0.070 wire rollbar for the rear. The blade swaybars are expensive, but SO COOL, and version 2 rear suspension allows for a blade swaybar in the back as well as the front.

Hopefully you already have a good, high speed and high torque steering servo. If not, get one. This can make a big difference in how your car feels to drive.

That's what I can suggest to you in my short time with this same car.
Aphinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 02:53 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

If you plan on racing theres two MUST have upgrades for the NTC3.
First...the "fix"....this secures the front diff case and shock area properly. With the standard type, if you hit something head on, you`ll strip the upper diff case screws out and the upper shock tower will float around all over the place.
Secondly....get a side chassis brace. These are available online from places such as rc-mushroom, or rc-mart. These protect your fuel tank from shattering in the event of a side-on impact......a car hitting you side on will force the NTC3`s pipe inwards until it hits and destroys the fuel tank. The side chassis brace stops the inwards movement of the pipe.
Another nice upgrade is the RPM front bumper. The stock NTC3 bumper will eventually distort and I`ve seen these then make contact with the ground and unweight the front of the car causing inconsistent handling.
As mentioned in a previous post the K-Factory Aluminium drive cups (these are what the main drive shaft connects into) are also a very worthwhile upgrade.....the plastic ones in my experience will fall apart after a few race meets.
Good luck
Cheers
AndyT  is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 10:10 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

"THE FIX" very very important.... after this, everything else you have should do ok.
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:19 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to Aphinity Send a message via AIM to Aphinity Send a message via Yahoo to Aphinity Send a message via Skype™ to Aphinity

I've heard of "the fix" a million times, but I can't find any description on what to do for this. I've searched on here for hours with no real info other than people suggesting that it 'has to be done'.

Where can I learn how to do it?
Old 10-10-2005, 02:41 PM   #7
Tech Elite

"the fix" strenghtens the car by stiffening the diff cases. the diff case for the ntc3 breaks easily from accidents because the shock tower is attached to it leading to wobbly shock tower that causes a very unpredictable car. "the fix" fixes this by having the whole shock tower and diff cases bolted directly to 2 of the bottom screws that hold the diff case to the chassis.

it was widely sold on ebay about 3 years ago. i can't find anymore on ebay..... and i don't know where to get them now. but the package basically consists of 4 long 4-40 countersunk screws (2 for front and 2 for rear) and a special "jam nut" that holds the screws from the top of the shock tower.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:09 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

If you can get the correct sized screws/bolts that can go thru the diff casings and the shock towers then its simple to build your own "fix".
Perhaps someone can post the sizings for the screws, then its simply a case of getting them from your local hardware/fastener shop??
Cheers
AndyT  is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:32 AM   #9
Tech Elite

it's easy to get the screw. it's the same kind as the ones your replacing from the bottom side except longer. the hard to find one is the jam nuts. i think they machine them but i'm not 100% sure.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:41 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

If you want the fix I have a paypal account so it all secure and I will ship them for $10 a set USPS or you can contact [email protected] he's the actual BMI dist for the fix. But I have about 10 sets of them left I also was a BMI dist at one time and have left over stock.
As for the on and off swirch all I have found is they cause trouble in the long run (cheap/or high dollar switches) so don't use the switch just leave the leads lond enough to diconnect at the batt. None of the Pro drivers use on/off switches, there more trouble than there worth!

Bob
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:00 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

You've got a PM
Old 10-13-2005, 06:53 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all your good advice guys
CHEWY078 is offline   Reply With Quote