Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spektrum system mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Sounds like the spektrum system is made by PLAYSKOOL. I will wait untill Airtronics comes out with their own.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Tech Regular

my feelings also Doc!
Old 10-09-2005, 02:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stefan
I had the same problem, my antenna in the module became disconnected. Now my problem was/is, that there are actually two recepticles for the antenna on the board. Which one is correct.

Also, my other problem is, that the plastic antenna became so loose that it won't stay upright anymore. Had to put some silicone between the gray housing and the black antenna.
The antenna should be connected to the receptacle closest to the outside when looking at the board. I called them and found out because I had the same problem.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by THE DOCTOR
Sounds like the spektrum system is made by PLAYSKOOL. I will wait untill Airtronics comes out with their own.

hey DOCTOR
i have one and dont have that kind of problem they said the first batch have this problem and 2nd batch is fine
Old 10-11-2005, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Good post, Ill be sure to keep an eye on mine.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:58 AM
Tech Master

Ok who can tell me how the system works.

If i switch the system on at home then it will look for a channel and i can bind the TX to the RX right?

If somebody else does the same and we arrive at the track could we be on the same channel? And if so do i then need to rebind the system.

What if a load of people have spektrums at the track do we all need to switch them on at the same time to ensure we are all bound to a unique channel?

You could end up rebinding every run if there is a lot of systems in use, (or not??)
Old 10-17-2005, 02:33 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ziggy12345
Ok who can tell me how the system works.

If i switch the system on at home then it will look for a channel and i can bind the TX to the RX right?

If somebody else does the same and we arrive at the track could we be on the same channel? And if so do i then need to rebind the system.

What if a load of people have spektrums at the track do we all need to switch them on at the same time to ensure we are all bound to a unique channel?

You could end up rebinding every run if there is a lot of systems in use, (or not??)
Hi all,
No, it is not like that. You bind the Rx with the Tx only the first time. What is happening is that the Tx downloads its unique id to the Rx. From then on the Rx "searches" only for the Tx with this id.
Whenever you power on Tx and Rx, they handshake at the channel 0 and they set up an appointment to the first free channel of the other 79 (total 80, 0 for handshake and 1-79 for actual usage). So, if you power on and there are other 3 active spektrums you will get the 4th channel, which is the first free. In the extreme case where there are another 79 active, yours will simply remain at the failsafe status, because it will be impossible for the Tx to connect with the Rx. Every time there is not contact between them, the built in Rx failsafe is activated.
I 've been using it for the last 5-6 months without any problem.
Regards
Old 10-17-2005, 04:44 AM
Tech Master

So there is no need to rebind the RX to the TX at every race meeting? I have heard its best to do this but i couldnt see why as you described above.

Have you installed the capacitor as suggested by others? I used mine at the weekend and had a bit of a problem when first switching on. The throttle would go wide open but then go back to neutral

Cheers
Old 10-17-2005, 04:54 AM
Tech Adept

So there is no need to rebind the RX to the TX at every race meeting? I have heard its best to do this but i couldnt see why as you described above.

Have you installed the capacitor as suggested by others? I used mine at the weekend and had a bit of a problem when first switching on. The throttle would go wide open but then go back to neutral

Cheers
Definitely, you do NOT need to rebind at every meeting.
No, I have not installed it. I have never had any problem with it. I used it with my M8. Another friend is using it with the 3PK. No problems for him too.
I sold mine yesterday and I just ordered today the new one, which suits to M11/M8/EXZESS.

Mine was from the second generation and it was problem free. Such kind of problem appeared to the first generation pieces. I would recommend to contact the spektrum support and ask how to proceed. Since as it is mentioned in a previous message this capacitor is intended for specific models only.
//BR
Old 10-18-2005, 01:25 AM
Tech Master

I used the spektrum on sunday and it ran for 1 hr 45 mins non stop with a 13KG steering servo. No glitching and perfect all day.

Cheers
Old 10-23-2005, 05:12 PM
Tech Adept

I have been using that capacitor on my serpent 710 all season. Reason being is that I am also using the KoProp 2363 servo for steering. When in a fast chicayne or doing some fast switchbacks to weave through traffic, I started to get problems when in an extended main and rx pack was getting low. I even lost signal for a split second and the built in failsafe kicked in a few time because of a low voltage situation. Once installed, the capacitor relieved me of the situation. Never happened again (knock on wood).

Some say it is needed, some say it's not but are you willing to find out you need it when you need it the most? aka, towards the end of your main and rx pack starts to get low because you forgot to repeak it. It's a $6 item that can save you from a lad of "shoulda coulda woulda's"
Old 10-31-2005, 01:41 PM
Tech Regular

Thought I would share this info over here.
In the oval crowd many have been experiencing problems with units bought in the late spring to end of summer range. They will lose control and the car will stick wide open. We tried receiver packs and receiver caps and nothing is helping.

Here is the Problem:
Open up your TX module, and if you have a short black antenna I urge you to call Spektrum and ask for the longer grey wire.

Long story short, the black wire flows right over the circuit board and is causing interferance with the chips on the board reducing the range the Spektrum puts out.

The longer grey wire is routed along the side of the case to avoid the chips.
I guess this was how Spektrum designed the unit but the company building the module for them, took it upon themselve to change to the short black wire and Spektrum was not aware or if they were aware did not think it would cause a problem using the shorter wire.

The problem got so bad at the World of Hobbies in Cinncinati after 5 or so really respectable guys totaled their 4 cell mod and 19T cars, Spektrum finally sent somebody out to do some testing. They were finding the signal strength in the backshoot was really low so the Spektrum was jumping bands if you will to find something that worked..well as it did this, It forgot there was a 4 cell mod car attached at the other end, lol

I heard if you call their tech reps they know nothing of this..Maybe ask for John Adams or Sonny Brown, I hear they both know of this problem.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:56 AM
Tech Master

Cant see it happening.

If the signal is lost then the failsafe kicks in. If they were using a 4 cell car then they should have had the capacitor fitted to stop the voltage dropping to 3.2 volts and kicking in the failsafe

Also the antenna length from the circuit board only has to be 3 1/2" long to get full signal so you dont need the longer wire

Cheers
Old 11-01-2005, 04:39 AM
Tech Master

he's talking about the inside wire not the reciver wire.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:28 AM
Tech Regular

Cant see it happening.

If the signal is lost then the failsafe kicks in. If they were using a 4 cell car then they should have had the capacitor fitted to stop the voltage dropping to 3.2 volts and kicking in the failsafe

Also the antenna length from the circuit board only has to be 3 1/2" long to get full signal so you dont need the longer wire

Cheers
Go back and re-read my entire post.

I am talking about the wire inside the TX Module not the Receiver or a Receiver wire

The problem I am talking about has nothing to do with voltage spikes. We have already been there...........and fixed that issue with Caps and Receiver packs. This is another problem and it doesnt matter if you have the failsafe set right or not. If you dont believe me ask John Foister or Eli Ezrow. They both destroyed cars. We had a 3 time national champion destroy his mod car twice at my local track this past week. He had a reciever pack fully charged in. After crashing for the 2nd time, they called me while they took their module apart and sure enough they had the short black wire in the TX module.

I was running in 4 cell stock oval 2 weeks ago and mine cut out and went right into the wall. I was running a fully charged receiver pack as well. I open up my module, sure enough short black wire routed right over top the circuit board. I am no slouch either I am a 2 time National Champ..I am not making this stuff up. I love my Spektrum and want people to enjoy theirs as well and try and get Spektrum to cop to this mistake and issue a recall or have the fix listed on their website.

Here is a post from Eli (talking about the issues they had at the World of Hobbies track) on the Hobbtalk thread.
"There recently has been 2 employees of Horizon Hobby that has done some testing to see if the problem can be duplicated and if there may be a solution. It seems that within the radio module that the antenna routing may have been the culprut! The antenna lead or even the 90 degree antenna connection inside the module may have been aiming and or routing over the capacitors within the circuit board. The fix has seemed to be replacing the (short) antenna with a longer one and aiming the 90 degree connector away from the components on the circuit board. If anyone has any issues with this or my answer to the problem they can contact John Adams at Horizon Hobby with any questions reguarding there issues. 217-352-1958"

Here is a post from another racer who I am friends with and is a reliable source.
"I spoke with John adams about what the problem in that building is... ITs not JUST the building or its surroundings that are at fault... From what he and sonny brown had found the signal in the backstretch is WEAK ON ALL RADIOS>>Xtals or spetrum...Normally with the spektrum this is not a problem>>He said something to the effect that in the backstretch the spektrum is running on 4 different bands due to the weak signal... Apparently When you have that building or enviornment surrounding you and then you get the antenna defect in the module>>>Causes the spektrum signal to wander because the antenna is picking up RF interference from the spektrum board eventually the combination of events causes the system to go stupid because it will scan frequencies and show all have interference so the system does not know what to do..

Fogive me if Ive explained this incorrectly...Im not exactly an electrical or spektrum engineer.. Im just going by what I was told on the phone about what they had found after a few trips to our facility.. Supposedly the revised antenna will fix the problems with the units.."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.