R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-02-2005, 04:52 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default I need some tuning help

Ok, i've finally got my car to idle and actually drive without cutting out. Now....i am closer to the best tune...but i still have some problems. i found smoke comming out of my engine head after a few fast passes infront of me. I thought it was too lean so i richened it. It didnt help and started to bog and not clear out during idle and acceleration. The smoke "could" be comming out of the glowplug hole so i am worried if it is damaged..(turbo plug). The clutch might have something to do with it cause "sometimes" after i let go of the throttle of a fast pass or sprint it still engages and goes slowy(with the engine revving quite a bit higher than in idle ) and happens occasionally and goes away and comes back. I'm guessing it engages to early and is overworking the engine causing it to overheat. I am also going to try a stiffer spring for the throttle brack linkage as the one i have now i think does not have enough pressure to put the carb back into idle quickly or at all...

Also, can other turbo glowplugs have a different taper slighty and still not do damage?
Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.(i want to drive without my engine blowing up!)
Greenbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:54 AM   #2
Tech Adept

.....any one
Old 10-04-2005, 05:30 PM   #3
Tech Adept

guess not....
Old 10-05-2005, 01:21 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to Aphinity Send a message via AIM to Aphinity Send a message via Yahoo to Aphinity Send a message via Skype™ to Aphinity

Silly question, but did you ensure your glow plug hole was free of any debris? Check if maybe a small pebble got stuck on the taper of the glow plug and is causing it to be leaking.

Does your compression feel okay? Can you hear air escaping from the glowplug area?

Check your head bolt tension too. If you have recently removed your cooling head, remove the head and do the same debris check to ensure there isn't anything jammed in there.

Different tapers will probably work, but I wouldn't suggest it. If it's a Novarossi plug, stick with that. OS plug, stick with that. etc etc. Putting the wrong one in too tight may stretch the taper and cause it to lose seal against the proper plug next time.
Aphinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:28 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Old 10-08-2005, 09:25 PM   #6
Tech Adept

i checked for air leaks on my engine...none that i have found really(plugged up the exhaust and carb with my fingure and put it in some rubbing alchoholor sumtin and blew through the fuel line). Compression is a bit low but the piston isnt showing it is fully worn. So it may be escaping from the glowplug hole that might be the cause of it . it only seems to smoke after i run it a few passes and i think its just overheating. I did the spit test and instant evaporation....I dont know but can it just smoke from overheating and not an airleak i thought it might need a source but.... I will run it bodyless and adjust the clutch to engage later and check if the 2 speed is dragging which could cause the engine to overwork itself. I am still stumped with the smoke....last thing i need is a new engine cause a faulty plug hole no debris i clean the threads with a cue tip and plug with it b4 i put it back on just incase.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:55 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hi there.....according to you smoke coming out from the heat sink/plug hole....i have never face or overcome this problem b4...
in the first place if u have a leak near the plug hole or plug isn't tight enough your engine should not be able to fire...(please correct me if i'm wrong)

maybe its something else....
RCCUTM
pemandu upahan ;)
rcabj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:00 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcabj
hi there.....according to you smoke coming out from the heat sink/plug hole....i have never face or overcome this problem b4...
in the first place if u have a leak near the plug hole or plug isn't tight enough your engine should not be able to fire...(please correct me if i'm wrong)

Old 10-09-2005, 05:02 PM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcabj

I dont totally agree with an engine not firing if the plug isnt tight. If that was the case then you wouldnt hear people talking about loosening the plug to help during the breakin cycle. You will have less compression but it should still fire...
onnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:28 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i agree with that statement
Mie3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:35 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by onnetz
I dont totally agree with an engine not firing if the plug isnt tight. If that was the case then you wouldnt hear people talking about loosening the plug to help during the breakin cycle. You will have less compression but it should still fire...

Hello Onnetz, loosening the glow plug for engine breakin is done just to have less compression and once the engine turns over the glow plug is then tightened and the ignitor applied, correct me if I'm wrong and thank you in advance.
Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:34 AM   #12
Tech Master

I have never had to use the method, but my understanding of it, is to have the glowplug loosened to decrease compression on new engines. once started then you would tighten the plug.
onnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:00 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Loosening the glow plug means a little bit only as ur engine can still running. The reason we do that is to reduce compression and avoid piston/sleeve stuck while breakin.
Mie3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:48 PM   #14
Tech Adept

so the smoke is comming from an air leak?? Correct me if i am wrong but wont smoke come out of the engine if it overheats? As running it off the ground never makes the smoke thing occur( i dont think ill have to check on a nicer day...) with the body on it does...and sometimes without it too... only when applied throttle on the ground. however this engine has never had this "smoking" problem before. Ill have to test it yet again to get some decent results. The tune isnt holding very well these past days...i think it was the fuel change(to fresh fuel same brand) and the aging of the engine. But again if u blow through the engine cover the echaust and carb no bubbles came out which is what exactally happened...no bubbles...Does it need a higher psi for it to leak through the plug hole?
Old 10-10-2005, 06:49 PM   #15
Tech Adept

....and superserpent u arent really helping