Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(solid) Spool Diff.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 07:47 AM
Tech Regular

Default (solid) Spool Diff.

Any body tried putting spool diff. for a nitro car. I tried it on electric and its doing wonders. Are they available? or is it costume made.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

They're usually available for alot of cars. What type of car are you looking to put one in? And yes, I aggree the locked rear diff makes it much more aggressive, I love my 8th scale car for it...
Old 10-02-2005, 09:55 PM
Tech Master

He's probably talking about a front spool. The only MFG that offers one for the front is HPI. Since there front and rear diffs are the same internaly, they have a solid plug that replaces the small gears. Most people just fill the gear diff with modeling clay or somthing like that. The ultimate soultion to reduce rotating mass would be to have one made at a maching shop. I haven't seen that yet though. What I have seen is people installing grub screws in a front one way to lock down the shafts. There is a lot of information on this in the 710 thread if you want to look it up.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:19 AM
Tech Regular

I have FW-05r
Old 10-03-2005, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Secret_weapon
I have FW-05r
Ask here for a better response. I'm not very familiar with your car.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22081
Old 10-03-2005, 03:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Kyosho have the option parts available to build a front spool for the RRR, so I`d guess theyre available for the 05R as well.
Some people are custom making spools from a front one way and "pinning" thru the shaft to lock it and make it into a spool.
Cheers
Old 10-03-2005, 05:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
He's probably talking about a front spool. The only MFG that offers one for the front is HPI. Since there front and rear diffs are the same internaly, they have a solid plug that replaces the small gears. Most people just fill the gear diff with modeling clay or somthing like that. The ultimate soultion to reduce rotating mass would be to have one made at a maching shop. I haven't seen that yet though. What I have seen is people installing grub screws in a front one way to lock down the shafts. There is a lot of information on this in the 710 thread if you want to look it up.
Kawahara makes one for the MTX-3 too! you can replace the gear inside with a solid piece, so you can do either end of the car!!!!!!!
Old 10-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Which one is better; spool or one way??
Old 10-04-2005, 03:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

They both have different characteristics so it really depends on what track youre racing at....
The spool offers braking to all four wheels....the one way is very to use under brakes
The one way will offer very good turn-in off power as the wheels can rotate at different speeds.
I think its always handy to have one each of these as spares...try them at the various tracks/surfaces you race at, then go with whatever is returning the fastest lap times for you
Cheers
Old 10-04-2005, 04:09 AM
Tech Regular

OK Guys I have the FW-05R any idea for a good spool.(costum made)
Old 10-04-2005, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The bad thing about spools are that if you hit a board one of your front dog bones or out drives usually brake. Nothing has any give in the front end with a spool.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by THE DOCTOR
The bad thing about spools are that if you hit a board one of your front dog bones or out drives usually brake. Nothing has any give in the front end with a spool.
Hey Mike: I repaired my pedal, it was a wire coming out of the connector
Old 10-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default spool in rear

Has anybody tried to run a spool in the rear of a 1/10 car with a one-way in the front?

I've a tc3 that has NO off-power steering but is very balanced in the S's so i'd like to find a way to get nice off-power steering and keep torque through the apex.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Tech Master

The best thing about have a locked front diff is that you have 4 wheel brakes. If you use your brakes alot, try it.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdapart
Has anybody tried to run a spool in the rear of a 1/10 car with a one-way in the front?

I've a tc3 that has NO off-power steering but is very balanced in the S's so i'd like to find a way to get nice off-power steering and keep torque through the apex.
I gave that a try in my NTC3 & it sucked big time. It just wasnt driveable at all. Different setups suit different drivers so it cant hurt to give it a try, I just wouldn't test it in a final

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.