R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-01-2005, 09:49 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Arrow WHATS THE FASTEST HPI TOURING CAR???

Hi, i was wondering whats the fastest/best hpi nitro onroad touring car out there right now??? i had a HPI nitro rs4 rtr3 but i sold ....so if you can give me a awnser that would be great thanks ...

Ryan
scpres1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:25 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scpres1
Hi, i was wondering whats the fastest/best hpi nitro onroad touring car out there right now??? i had a HPI nitro rs4 rtr3 but i sold ....so if you can give me a awnser that would be great thanks ...

Ryan
I think the best HPI turing car will be RRR , upcomming MTX4 or 710, any of those models are pretty similar. Just check what LHS is supporting as parts and help in settings.
Edward
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

HPI R40 Hara Edition is the fastest HPI car.
Gael L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:53 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The R40 is HPI's only real competition oriented nitro car. The others are more for bashing.
tunerjetta29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 11:19 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

well...whats the difference betweenthe----r40, rs4 rtr3ss, rs4 rtr3 evo....what would be the best for like neighborhood driving and paved track racing?
scpres1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 12:40 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Go to www.hpiracing.com to check for your tastes.
ogreasurada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:02 PM   #7
Tech Master

Any of the RS4 series car by HPI are more parking lot bashers and are all based on the same chassis and drivetrain. The R40 is completly different from the RS4's and was designed from the start to compete with the other pro level touring car kits on the market. The R40 is a very capable platform, but may not be the best platform for just fooling around the house. It's designed for tracks.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:15 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (98%+)

its the mtx4 due out this month
YOU CAN CALL 09174632746 OR 09175331943
please like us on FB - PITSHOP RC
pitshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:15 AM   #9
Tech Addict

I love it, the guy asks for the best HPI car, and people put in RRR or MTX4.

Read before you answer.

HPI's best nitro touring car is the R40, hands down. If you want to race, and want an HPI, you race their pro level cars, Pro4 for electric, R40 for nitro.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:35 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
Any of the RS4 series car by HPI are more parking lot bashers and are all based on the same chassis and drivetrain. The R40 is completly different from the RS4's and was designed from the start to compete with the other pro level touring car kits on the market. The R40 is a very capable platform, but may not be the best platform for just fooling around the house. It's designed for tracks.
The problem is that there is a wide range in what people consider "bashing around the house." My home was at the top of a hill with fairly well kept paving. The worst it got was a little cracked before the City repaved it. Since I was near the top of a hill, there was no accumulation of sand or gravel. It was cleaner than most real race tracks. The only problem was that it was clean and no "groove". But that was no problem at all. After an electric race, I used to burn down the extra charge on the batteries making figure 8's, late into the night, watching the police cruises, watching me. If you are at the bottom of a hill, well, sad luck. . . . :-)

The reason most people would not use an R40 for "around the house" is because the 3 belts and drive train are generally open to capturing sand and gravel. I would never have had that problem.

I think that if you want to use an R40 in this way, even if you have more of a dust/sand problem, you might consider not running the front drive. The would leave out the middle and front belts, the front diff, and front axle shafts. In that case, you might be able to move the battery back forward where the diff is (I am just guessing about that). The back diff is actually fairly well protected by the chassis and motor.

If you keep the extra parts you can put them back in before a race.

Also, if you buy the original kit (not the Hara or 2004 editions) it could be quite cheap. I think Tower sells it for $260 US and shipping. That is probably almost as cheap as some of the better shaft cars.
MobileIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 04:01 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

The fastest HPI touring car is any HPI touring car with a high end 21 onroad engine.........it should be very fast, again, he asked about the FASTEST.....not asking about best handling or race worthy HPI Rc car.........

I say, HPI Mini or Hpi Super nitro with outlaw 21 engine.....the RCCA Super Nitro hit 100 mphs and flipped 6 turns in the air....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:24 PM   #12

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Street: RS4-3
1/10th Track: R40
1/8th Track: Proceed

Given the different places you can run. Each car works better in certain places. Allthough all 3 can run in each other tracks / areas, they run best in the ones listed for each car.

The reason for the rs4-3 on the street is more clearance and suspension stroke and shaft drive. All good for dusty / bumpy conditions.

I tried driving my r40 in the street just to do some testing and only could hear scraping sounds. Not ideal for the street and quite frankly too much for it.

If you were to race on a track , the rs4-3 would probably have trouble hanging, but can do good...just practice and tune.

Then for the Proceed , its older but the only 1/8th scale from HPI.

As for which is the fastest for top speed numbers. I think How Fast can you go = How much do you have in your wallet.

In any event all 3 cars can go the same speed dealing with that....maybe if it were really scientific and you really wanted to get the fastest chassis. Its power to weight + aerodynamics. I would figure the proceed might not be the best chassis as its heavier , but it would drive the easiest at high speeds abd can automatically use a 21 or larger. The RS4-3 or R40 would work well for top-speed and if you could get a .21 motor into one of those chassis, with the proper gearing it can become a land rocket.

But if your going to just bash on the street get the rs4-3, unless you feel you were done with that car. Then get an R40 and go searching for a track or proper area to run the car. Running in front of the house = lots of damage and obstacles and unknown cars running in the area that dont know your running your car.

So its best to find a parking lot and if you can blow the sucker off with a gas-blower , set up some cones , spray down some grape soda for grip and goto town with some friends or yourself and a timer. Its by far much more fun than just zipping around trash cans.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:28 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
. . .

The reason for the rs4-3 on the street is more clearance and suspension stroke and shaft drive. All good for dusty / bumpy conditions.

I tried driving my r40 in the street just to do some testing and only could hear scraping sounds. Not ideal for the street and quite frankly too much for it. . . .
Is clearance that much of a problem for the R40? The reason your car scraped was probably because it was set up nice and low for racing right? The R40 is actually a fairly good amount of height available if you just let up the "ride height" adjusters. That and taller tires (which you do not use when you are racing anyway) should give as much clearance as you probably had on an RS4-3.
MobileIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:07 PM   #14

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Setting it as far as it can go , doesnt seem like the r40 gets anywhere near as much rideheight as my racer2. Similiar to the rs4-3.

Its just meant to sit low and yes my r40 has only been driven on a track, so it is setup to be lower than normal. But not that much lower than the stock setting , if at all.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote