R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-08-2002, 03:44 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to JitsuGuy
Default 1/8th Scale's American Poplularity???

Why is 1/8th scale not so popular over here? Because there's no tracks? Or because there's no racers? Which needs to come first? DANGIT! Is there anything we can do about this? This IS the F1 class of RC Racing! Then again... F1 racing isn't popular here either. "We want dem oval tracks and beer daag nabit!"

Jits
JitsuGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 05:14 PM   #2
Tech Addict

I guess it depends on what part of the country you are in-- like all forms of just about everything. In the Mid- Atlantic states, 1/8 is alive and doing very well, while the 235mm class is dying a slow, painful death. In other parts of the country, it's just the opposite. I beleive the fastest growing class overall is the 200mm nitro sedans. We have plenty of 200mm and 1/8 racers to keep many tracks (within about a 2hr drive) very happy.

However, I will admit that I think the hobby would probably double in popularity if there were more permanent racing facilities. Parking lot tracks are just too much trouble to keep going.
tekrsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 05:14 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

I lieve in Southern California and 1/8 is very big at the track I run at. I guess it's all dependent on whether you have a big enough track in your area. Revelation Raceway is huge and there is just too much room not to race 1/8(200ft straight).

www.revrace.com
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 05:32 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Uhh maybe where you live... we're going whole hog in LA!! Revelation is perfect for 1/8th IMO. We've got an 1/8th scale thread going in the Oval and Larger Scale Forum...
kevink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 05:38 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Oh yeah, and if you think it's dying, Protoform is supposed to be releasing their 1st 1/8th scale body soon:

http://www.team-orion.ch/global/global_news.asp?id=1447

I also race 1/10 electric GTP Pan Car and we've been begging and pleading for them to keep producing bodies for those types of cars, but it looks like they've stopped, or will only do a few at a time. So that tells me that they don't release, or keep in production, bodies that they don't think will sell.
Old 10-08-2002, 08:10 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Racing4Evo, man, I'm jealous. That track is AWESOME! We okies aint never seen nuttin like that *snort*.

Jits
Old 10-09-2002, 04:26 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default IMHO,

most american tracks are not really suited for 1/8th scale racing.

While a track here usually is a square of asphalt with some sort of dividers/boards laid out, European tracks are built into the landscape with gras in the infields, just like full size tracks.

If you loose your car on an American track, you have a lot of damage, in Europe you'll be stuck in the gras, but your car is ok.

This causes a lot of VERY high parts bills here, which discourages a lot of people.

60+ mph and 2x4's are not really good friends.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 05:16 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Default MRX3

I know this isn't thie place, but I've got a mrx3 with tons of parts I'm selling (cheap).
Look and the sell and swap section ,I'ts a deal of a life time.
The only reason I'm selling is I'm going to off road.
wtleadfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 05:05 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Default Re: IMHO,

Quote:
Originally posted by stefan
most american tracks are not really suited for 1/8th scale racing.

While a track here usually is a square of asphalt with some sort of dividers/boards laid out, European tracks are built into the landscape with gras in the infields, just like full size tracks.

If you loose your car on an American track, you have a lot of damage, in Europe you'll be stuck in the gras, but your car is ok.

This causes a lot of VERY high parts bills here, which discourages a lot of people.

60+ mph and 2x4's are not really good friends.
You're right about that! Revelation is in the middle because the insides of the turns are "studder bumped", so you can drive on the edge, but if you go to far, you're going to launch it (probably into a wall)!. It's very wide though, so it's fairly forgiving for the heavy-fingered. KZ is the most open of any track I've ever been to, extremely forgiving if you're off line, and they finally got rid of the astroturf on the infields, which was getting caught in our gears, not to mention melting on pipes. Still needs a lot of work though, lots of dust (no real grass like the Euros).
Old 10-09-2002, 06:29 PM   #10
Tech Addict

I have to admit I like the look of the European tracks. They are beautiful, but the biggest drawback I see with them is the inability to change the track layout. I know some have "cross-overs" in certain areas of the track so that it can be minimally reconfigured, but layouts are still very limited. I do like that the American style tracks can be easily (and relatively cheaply) reconfigured with multiple track layouts. I just wish there were more of them!!!
tekrsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 05:14 AM   #11
Tech Adept

What about a layout like this, but with all the green-painted tarmacadam being grass...

university_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 08:13 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Nice!
Old 10-10-2002, 10:14 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Geez! That rules!

We NEED TRACKS!!!!
Old 10-12-2002, 01:45 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Here in the Midwest, 1/8 scale is still alive and pretty strong. The 235 class is not very strong due to the huge following the sedans now have. Of course it does help we have the best track in the US. The one that just hosted the IFMAR Worlds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg joyce.jpg (58.9 KB, 101 views)
Sigearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 08:42 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Yeah, that track rules! I race on it every day! Well, on RealRace G2 I race on it every day! Anyway, it would be awesome to race on that track for real! But for now, virtual will have to do.

Jits