R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-28-2005, 10:16 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Emin3m Send a message via MSN to Emin3m
Default Question

I am going to buy a nitro on-road, and am not quite sure whether to buy a thunder tiger rtr for 600 australian dollars, it comes with asolutely everything u could possibly need, or whether to buy a kit and build it, im just starting out with nitro, i could easily build a electric, but im not to familiar with nitro and want to get into it, so wats a good, cheap, nitro on-road kit that would be easy to put together
Emin3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:28 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

do not bother with a cheap kit. buy a kit that will last a few years if you keep doing nitro or has a good resale value if you drop the nitro.

as for advising what kit, the best thing you could do is go to your local tracks find out what car most drivers are using; talk to them about spares availabilty. if you can build 1 kit you can build them all, just take your time to understand the manual before startiing that will make the build much easier.

mark
MisterLister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 03:25 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Emin3m
Thunder Tigers are an OK car but for starting out have a look at the CD3 RTR
as MisterLister says get down to you local track and have a look around at what is being run and talk to the racers
I see that you from NSW what town?
Tyrrell P34,(Retired)
oldnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 04:05 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to icon

Most cars that come in kit form are for intermediate to advanced users. If you are planning on racing at a local club you may be better off buying a "Pro" car than a beginner car since it will allow you more room for growth.

Back to your question; there are not many kit forms of beginner cars around anymore. Something like an HPI Nitro 3 SS would ideally fit your criteria but those are discontinued and HPI only offers their Evo 3 with the 18SS engine. Kyosho also makes some sport versions of their FW05 and V One series tourers. I dont like the engine that comes with the K cars, but at least I know the chassis is rugged.

Hope this helps.
icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:23 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine

I frequent the hobby shops quite a bit, one thing I cant stand seeing is a new guy getting stuck with a less then quality car. The sales people talk up the lower class rtr`s so they can move them out of the stores and sell a lot of hop ups for them. By the time you buy all the bells and whistles, you could have gotten a really good car that preforms right out of the box, like the MTX-3. After buying all the hop ups for a crappy car you still aren't going to keep up with the Jones`es. What top driver have you read about that runs anything but a top brand?
Paul Rush.............
Old 09-29-2005, 06:35 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Have you tried looking on ebay? You can often spend as much as you would for a used race kit of high quality for the same price as a new RTR. Do a search for mugen mtx3, serpent 710, kyosho rrr, kyosho fw05, team magic g4, hpi r40...I'm sure other's will add to it.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:38 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slotmachine
I frequent the hobby shops quite a bit, one thing I cant stand seeing is a new guy getting stuck with a less then quality car. The sales people talk up the lower class rtr`s so they can move them out of the stores and sell a lot of hop ups for them. By the time you buy all the bells and whistles, you could have gotten a really good car that preforms right out of the box, like the MTX-3. After buying all the hop ups for a crappy car you still aren't going to keep up with the Jones`es. What top driver have you read about that runs anything but a top brand?
Paul Rush.............
I totally agree with you. I startet with a hpi rs4 ss. Because i allready knew i was going to drive in the track i bought a fast engine for it. The best pullstart engine, a novarossi 5p(it's about the same price as a nsr3 tuned). But the engine was so powerfull it ripped my diffs to shreds. So needed to concert entir drivetrain to heavyduty. I also bought all the hop ups you can get for it. I spend about 600-700 euro's on the entire car. Which is about 700-800 dollars. But when i went to the track, i was just blown away by all the real racecars. It doesn't matter how much hop ups you get for it it just isn't fast enough.
So i drove the car for 2 month's. Sold it for 300 dollars(no one would pay more for a rs4 because it is a parkinglot car). Got a 710 and that's a whole lot better.

But one thing. With the rs4 i learned a lot of the basics of the car, and the driving lines. That's why i bought it in the first place, i already knew i would progress to a pro car. But with the amount of help i get in the track( i drive on heemstede, test track of serpent) i could have started with a 710 easily.

But if you dont have people around of which you know that they can help you with all you problems i still advise to start with a beginner car.
But you already did electro right? If you did it on a competitive level you are already familiar with the basics of driving, and set up. So then it would be smart to start with a pro car. You only have to learn how te tune the engine.
But not's that hard if you buy a good one. I prefer novarossi based engine's
Not the mega's. It's a bitch to tune compared with my JP.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:24 PM   #8
Tech Elite

I can not speak for other hobby store owners, but from my experience, I stock many of the rtr cars because that is what people want! Trying to convince a prospective buyer that he is better off buying a kit for $300 or more PLUS engine, radio, servo, starter box, etc (now we are up to $600 or more), is a tough sell. Especially when there is an RTR sitting there for $300 INCLUDING a starter box (CD3 pro rtr)! It is not the sore owner that is pushing buyers to rtr. It is the publics demand for instant gratification and the manufacturers response.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote