Search

chassis bent

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 06:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default chassis bent

Hi,
Is it normal chassis to bent after few run or race? My chassis seem to have slightly bent in the middle about few mm when put it backward on flat glass surface.

Some people is it because of heat and flex.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

No it isn't normal. My Serpent 747 did almost 2 seasons of racing and the chassis is still perfectly flat. The only time I've ever bent a chassis was on an 1/8th scale car where I crashed heavily at high speed.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

What chassis are you running, if its a 1/8 or 1/10 (200mm) Nitro car that is highly unlikely without a wreck. Those chassis usually run between 4-5 mm in thickness. Even wheen heated it takes a lot of heat to yield the material to bend - these engines do not generate that heat. Perhaps one of those cheaper himoto, redcat cars even a nitro RS4 have a higher chance of bending as those chassi are not as strong or thick. Yet even then it takes a wreck to do that. Was your chassis used or tweaked perhaps when you had gotten it, did you check it before assembling the chassis?

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 12-31-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nyamuk
Hi,
Is it normal chassis to bent after few run or race? My chassis seem to have slightly bent in the middle about few mm when put it backward on flat glass surface.

Some people is it because of heat and flex.
If u r running the mtx5. Yes it's normal... but not a good thing..the 5 has been known to bend because of the break an the flex in the chassis
Old 12-31-2014, 04:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by bigbank66
If u r running the mtx5. Yes it's normal... but not a good thing..the 5 has been known to bend because of the break an the flex in the chassis
Im running nt1 xray.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

hi anyone else have same experiance?
Old 01-02-2015, 11:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nyamuk
hi anyone else have same experiance?
Thats not good..ran nt1 for over 2 seasons an never bent a chassis...an i took some nasty crashes...check into this bigtime!!.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:04 PM
Tech Regular

As long as i`m driving 200mm class, with the Serpent 710, 720, KM H-K1, Capricorn C01 and Serpent 748. The chassis will bend in about a couple of months of driving. Always in the middle of the chassis down, about 1 a 2 mm, its normal.

Cars with stiffner between middle and rear section has less bending, cars without have more bending of the chassis.

In the Netherlands all the topdrivers change chassis plate about 2 a 3 times a year.

At the rear the chassis will wear at the rear bottom end due to bottoming out during acceleration with small tires.

Its not a real big problem as long as the chassis doesn`t twists.

I think it is really strange people say they dont have this, i think this is only to make a brand look better then it is.

Last edited by rbakker; 01-04-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:09 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rbakker
As long as i`m driving 200mm class, with the Serpent 710, 720, KM H-K1, Capricorn C01 and Serpent 748. The chassis will bend in about a couple of months of driving. Always in the middle of the chassis down, about 1 a 2 mm, its normal.

Cars with stiffner between middle and rear section has less bending, cars without have less bending of the chassis.

In the Netherlands all the topdrivers change chassis plate about 2 a 3 times a year.

At the rear the chassis will wear at the rear bottom end due to bottoming out during acceleration with small tires.

Its not a real big problem as long as the chassis doesn`t twists.

I think it is really strange people say they dont have this, i think this is only to make a brand look better then it is.
I agree on one thing...if Where u race has the grip u will bend your chassis but Where I race the grip is Med to low an the cars slide more than grip...so a bent chassis is far an few between...not to say one is better than another!!! An to his point after a few races an the chassis is bent an there haven't been a Big crash....it's a problem somewhere..an That's wit any brand...
Old 01-03-2015, 02:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bigbank66
I agree on one thing...if Where u race has the grip u will bend your chassis but Where I race the grip is Med to low an the cars slide more than grip...so a bent chassis is far an few between...not to say one is better than another!!! An to his point after a few races an the chassis is bent an there haven't been a Big crash....it's a problem somewhere..an That's wit any brand...
It has nothing t do with what you are saying, it has to do with simple mechanics.
The way the cars are designed, the forces introduced in the chassis by the braking system (servo to brake cam) and the pulling force of the side belt. Both give a torque moment in the chassis that makes it bend, next to that the rear wears due to contact with the tarmac.

Just put your blocks when adjusting the downstops under both axles fr+rr during setup and you will be ok,
when you start driving al your laps within 0.2s. then its time to change the chassis once in a while.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:42 AM
Tech Master

It has nothing t do with what you are saying, it has to do with simple mechanics.
The way the cars are designed, the forces introduced in the chassis by the braking system (servo to brake cam) and the pulling force of the side belt. Both give a torque moment in the chassis that makes it bend, next to that the rear wears due to contact with the tarmac.

Just put your blocks when adjusting the downstops under both axles fr+rr during setup and you will be ok,
when you start driving al your laps within 0.2s. then its time to change the chassis once in a while.
type of starter box will effect too
Old 01-04-2015, 04:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is your throttle servo pulling too hard and bending the chassis???

Bending an Xray NT1 chassis is bloody hard work, unless you've hit something hard!
Old 01-04-2015, 04:52 AM
Tech Elite

Our Cap chassis bends also and I agree with the above, the aluminium is also a heat sink for the engine, add continual stresses and it bends slightly, and no we havent hit anything hard. When a couple of mm deviation to a chassis plate makes the difference, then I too will change ours.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:18 AM
Tech Rookie

This is Roy trying to fix his bent chassis on his Serpent 748..
Attached Thumbnails chassis bent-roybakker.jpg  
Old 01-04-2015, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

And this is what happens when you're being a "Kruidenier" and try to bend it back again:

Credits go to "rbakker"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.