Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Recommendations for a first on-road vehicle? >

Recommendations for a first on-road vehicle?

Recommendations for a first on-road vehicle?

Old 12-15-2014, 08:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Recommendations for a first on-road vehicle?

I want an on-road vehicle that runs on nitro, and has enough ground clearance to handle slightly damaged blacktop (the kind that has been cracked long enough that bits have chipped away from the edges of the cracks).

I have an HPI Bullet ST, which is great fun and can obviously handle anything that could be described as "pavement", since it's an off-road truck. I also have a little 1/16-scale nitro buggy that has slightly less than 1" of ground clearance, and it has a sexy little Italian screamer under the hood, but it's not the most durable vehicle in the world.

I'd like a vehicle that screams like the little buggy does, but is durable like the HPI Bullet is, and can run over busted-up blacktop without losing control. A small-block engine with a two-speed transmission would be nice; I've never owned one of those before. If it could handle driving over a speedbump too, that would be great, but I realize that may be impossible with anything less than an off-road vehicle.

I could just get a stadium truck or something, but I'd kinda like to own at least one vehicle that looks sleek and has fendered wheels. RWD is okay, and might actually be an interesting change from all of my other vehicles which are 4WD or AWD.

The closest category I know of would be a nitro-powered rally car, but I'm not dead-set on the idea of owning a rally car if there are other options available. Suggestions?
Old 12-15-2014, 08:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Have you considered a 1/8 GT car, they are buggy based and fairly robust and sturdy.

Something like the Serpent Cobra GT, Kyosho Inferno GT those are a couple that come to mind, to give you an idea.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:42 PM
Tech Champion

I've considered 1/8, but I just don't have the space for it. I barely have the space for my Bullet ST and my Axial Wraith.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
I've considered 1/8, but I just don't have the space for it. I barely have the space for my Bullet ST and my Axial Wraith.
Seriously, I think you already have the perfect carpark/road vehicle.
Stepping up to a 1/10th spec will cause a few issues.

1) once you get to 30mph, the tyres start suffering
2) keeping on the ground at higher speeds is difficult to do on a road surface
3) by the time you hit 50 mph, you need a circuit before it hits 2nd gear.

There are many bargains to be had, if you are serious, then look to the Edam pullstart or the Hobao GPX/4 both cater for pullstart avoiding extra costs in starter boxes etc. The tyres all all hex hub based so you can make compromises and if using rubbers, you can set up geometry to have high ride height. On foams before you know it you'll be rubbing your chassis.

By all means buy a Mugen MTX4 for next to nothing, it would be the most robust in its era, but before you know it, you'll be at a track with an older car.

1/8 fan is correct, a GT 1/8 would be a good option.. Longer lasting, tougher, less power to weight, higher ride, bigger tyres and more options for pullstart.

PS: Anything in the lower specs will just break or rattle to pieces as you get the power down.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default serpent 748

MY VOTE IS SERPENT 748 .I just BOUGHT my thrid 1/8 onroad .I had a kyosho evolva m3 they stop making parts for it .ALSO had a mugen MRX3 THEY UPGRADED to the mrx3 w/c AND THE PARTS BECOME HARD TO FIND .SO THIS TIME I BOUGHT A SERPENT 977 BECAUSE DESOTO RACING HAS THE PARTS FOR A LOT OF OLDER MODEL SERPENTS. SO IF SERPENT UP GRADES OR COMES OUT WITH A NEW MODEL. THERE SHOULD STILL BE PARTS AROUND FOR A LONG TIME.1/10 IS THE SAME CONCEPT AS 1/8 .IT WILL EASIER TO TRANSFER YOU EXPERIENCE OVER TO 1/8 SCALE IF YOU DECIDE TO COME TO THE FASTEST RC CARS EVER MADE FOR A TRACK .WHICH ONCE YOU GO TO THE TRACK AND YOU SEE ONE YOU MIGHT WANT ONE.I WOULD STAY AWAY FROM X RAY BECAUSE THEY MAKE TO MANY CARS 2013,2014,2015 ETC,MUGEN HAS A LOT OF BACK ORDER ISSUES SOMETIMES.ALSO 1/10 IS CHEAPER TO LEARN WITH.

Last edited by emancipation007; 12-17-2014 at 02:06 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:05 PM
Tech Champion

It occurred to me that maybe what I was looking for was a short-course truck, tastefully modded to look like a rally car. Unfortunately the only 1/10 nitro short-course trucks I can find are from Traxxas and Associated, and while I have no problem with those brands, they're both over 21 inches long, which would be longer than any of my other vehicles including my Wraith. Disappointing.