Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent f 180 .21 project

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 01:14 AM
Tech Adept

Default Serpent f 180 .21 project

What if this amazing rc serpent makes before couple years powered from a .21 racing racing engine .
I know serpent mega ft.28 is a good engine but a high rpm .21 rb will make it faster , what do you think ?

Old 11-29-2014, 01:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Wow dude the F180 is the one Serpent that never made it into my collection! It's an interesting project. The crankcase of the 28 is the same as a 21 I believe so it shouldn't be too difficult. If you're good at machining and have access to a mill and lathe you should be able to crack it. Good luck! This is one thread I'd like to see continued as you progress the project!
Old 11-29-2014, 02:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Nice car.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default F180

I've been running a .21 in mine for years now with no problems like the power band better than the .28 and yes sir she is fast and easy to pilot.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kmichael
I've been running a .21 in mine for years now with no problems like the power band better than the .28 and yes sir she is fast and easy to pilot.
Nice to hear that someone else has already do this .
The car is not mine ,a friend of mine trusted me to finish the project.
What engine did you running?
Old 11-29-2014, 06:27 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dan_vector
Wow dude the F180 is the one Serpent that never made it into my collection! It's an interesting project. The crankcase of the 28 is the same as a 21 I believe so it shouldn't be too difficult. If you're good at machining and have access to a mill and lathe you should be able to crack it. Good luck! This is one thread I'd like to see continued as you progress the project!
Thats right ,
ft .28 has the same spaced holes as standar .21 engines has and yes the rb classico fits just fine to the engine mount.
The only thing that dont fit is the cooling head of the engine ,we tried to fit serpent's head on the rb without any luck ,different spaced holes and patern.
So i ll machine a new cooling head for the rb similar to the stock (peace of art)
I ll post pics during the progress of the project.
Thanks
Old 11-29-2014, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by koval
Thats right ,
ft .28 has the same spaced holes as standar .21 engines has and yes the rb classico fits just fine to the engine mount.
The only thing that dont fit is the cooling head of the engine ,we tried to fit serpent's head on the rb without any luck ,different spaced holes and patern.
So i ll machine a new cooling head for the rb similar to the stock (peace of art)
I ll post pics during the progress of the project.
Thanks
Good luck!
Old 11-29-2014, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

Talking

Ninja MR21-R01, ran without touching the hear first, but had a jig made for exact angel to see if the temperature was affected but no problem, when you find the right set up for where ever you run you will be extremely happy had a lot of camber in the rear to control the rear end, also using both F180 forms & regular 1/8 onroad tires using the kit rubber can be a little tricky but when I realized that replacement parts was going to be an issue I ordered parts from everywhere so now I have enough parts to rebuild completely about 5 times, doing so I found softer rubber compounds also so Imcan run any way I chose.
FYI this kit will always be in my stable
Old 11-29-2014, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

Oh one more thing did away with power start for starter box
Old 11-30-2014, 02:22 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for your advises kmichael ,
we will search for the best set up in the local custom truck we have made and yes a starter box will replace the power start.
The mega ft .28 is too heavy instead of the rb classico which will be more lighter without the rotostart backplate ,also the stock cooling head has too much material on it ,the new cooling head will have smaller diameter ,maybe i ll give some more heigh for more fresh air i ll discuss it with the owner of the car .
I have already start the procedure of the custom cooling head which i ll complete in the next few days.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:26 PM
Tech Adept

Cooling head specs:

Aluminum 7075
49mm dia
43mm height
About 70gr after the end of milling process

65 degress angle on the upper side of the cooling head ...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gxRFPRU-5U...0/DSC06965.JPG

Time to make a fit test...

Everything ok so lets start do some seroius milling
Old 12-01-2014, 02:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Nice project Koval, curious to see your approach for the machining and sequence. Good luck, and keep us posted on the progress !!
Old 12-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by koval
Thanks for your advises kmichael ,
we will search for the best set up in the local custom truck we have made and yes a starter box will replace the power start.
The mega ft .28 is too heavy instead of the rb classico which will be more lighter without the rotostart backplate ,also the stock cooling head has too much material on it ,the new cooling head will have smaller diameter ,maybe i ll give some more heigh for more fresh air i ll discuss it with the owner of the car .
I have already start the procedure of the custom cooling head which i ll complete in the next few days.

AWESOME PROJECT KOSTAS !!! You are a man of many talents...electric brushless and NITRO !!! ... What a great project !
Old 12-01-2014, 10:55 PM
Tech Adept

Ohh ,thank you very much both of you guys
Richard E, the total layout will be inspired fromt the stock but my point is to have a narrower ,toller cooling head same weight or lighter than the the stock mega ft head.
Half of the cooling head (straight side) is inside of the body ,this part will be bigger than the stock (closer to the tank).
The other half (angle side) will be taller so to protrude of the body for more fresh air ,instaed the stock head which is almost flash with the body .
Old 12-02-2014, 01:04 AM
Tech Elite

Looking good koval!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.