Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fix for your Nitro TC3

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 05:24 PM
Tech Adept

Default The Fix for your Nitro TC3

This is for all of us that race at club tracks or parking lots with boards or pipes or curbs that seem to reach out and grab our NTC3's. I know I've detonated several diff cases before by clipping the pipes, it really puts a hurt on your chances of winning many races! Not to mention the drive cups broken, cvd's snapped, etc. Bob Astarita developed this easy fix and it's proven to bomb-proof all the NTC3's at our track. Not rocket science, but it really works! The key to it is the CNC machined cap nut and long countersunk hex screw that through-bolt the diff halves together. If you never touch the pipe, you won't need it. But if you're like most of us, this should be just what you're looking for. Bob says he can get as many as you may need and asked me to see if there is any interest, so post here or drop me an email and I'll let him know. Thanks, Jim Reeves [email protected]
Attached Thumbnails The Fix for your Nitro TC3-thefix.gif  
Old 09-30-2002, 07:20 PM

Hmm! Looks like Bob copied mine and 2 or three other guys perm. fix in the NTC3 forum months ago. Its a good fix but has its down falls too! If hit hard enough it will break much more than the diff case now.
Old 09-30-2002, 07:42 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info BB! Can you let me know what other problems have developed after using it? So far we've been running the fix for about 3 months and I've only seen a couple of pivot balls sheered in that time.
Old 09-30-2002, 08:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Looks good!!

I did my own home brewed fix just like yours and have not broken a diff case since that day I did it. Your fix is a sound and proven solution. Just the thing for people who dont like to wrench and just want to race. Just my 0.02!!! Best of luck!!!
Old 09-30-2002, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

While this helps, a hit will still break the tops of the diff halves. But, I have found that it'll allow the car to keep going...without it the shock tower colapses. I went to the next metric size larger than the 4-40 and like the way they work.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:20 PM

It works well just have too watch it, You know how it is, fix something so you can go faster then you wreck or get wrecked at a much faster speed and something else must give. I have'nt broke a diff case either, since the fix just use longer screws in the bottom of the diff to chassis the stock screw will work loose if not check frequent go to I think 1/2 inch screws in the bottom. After the mod I had trouble with the 2 other tower screws working loose, so another tip is you can file the shock tower down alittle until it almost flat where the upper screw goes and drill the other 2 diff screws #6/32 thread and use button head screws in the upper holes now you have a complete unbreakable diff . I was hit from behind this weekend WOT 125ft, it did'nt break the diff case but broke the shocktower off bent the shockshaft and broke my captured ball toe in fix on the rear. Use ti pivot balls on the bottom arms now with the fix, they will bend not break like the steel ones. Good luck racing! Keep up the good work! BB
Old 09-30-2002, 10:31 PM
Tech Master

I'm back to just the stock pivot balls, I've bent both the Ti and the stock ones.

Another hint...I chased a problem all day yesterday thru my heats, the car would pull under acceleration, it was pulling toward the side with bad bearings. Changed them before the A Main....and won.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:47 PM

In most cases the ti pivotballs well bend not break like the steel ones. You can still finish a race with a bent pivot ball and not finish with a broken one. Its hard to decide wether the $15 spent for the Ti is really worth it. BB
Old 10-05-2002, 08:01 PM
Tech Adept

Sold out of initial run of The Fix, will have more available by weeks end. Thanks everyone for the interest! Jim