Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Returning after 9 years... Help please!! >

Returning after 9 years... Help please!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Returning after 9 years... Help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 11:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Returning after 9 years... Help please!!

So I used to play with a few rc cars 9 years ago. I had a Serpent 950-R and a Kyosho Vone RRR. I never really competed but I did enjoy blasTing in my local tracks. I found the 1/8th too much for me so I prefer the 1/10th touring cars.

I have been away from the scene for many years and I really don't know what to get... I understand most of the advice can be subjective but if you could give me a quick summary I would appreciate.

1- Kyosho seems out of the 1/10th scene from what I heard and Vone R4 probably won't have any major development. Serpent has a new 748 which is an option, I had serpent before and they where good but not sure what happened with serpent in the last few years?? Mugen just launched the MTX6 and I am really considering this as it is new and it will probably have some life left on it regarding parts, etc (I don't plan to change cars that frequently)? What you guys think?

2- there are brands I am not very familiar with.. Capricorn??? Any good? X-ray NT1, new model for 2014, looks good but is it as good as it machined parts look??

3- engine wise I had a Sirio on my Vone RRR and that was good, has Sirio gone bust? I will probably will go with a Novarossi, can't go wrong there...

4- when I quit the sport electrics where coming along, I don't want to cast a electric vs nitro thread but are they really an alternative? Is Nitro dying away or still going strong?

I am really sorry the questions but being off the scene for so long I no longer know the trends and the biggest players out there... Back then Kyosho was bit in 1/10, Mugen and serpent where the 3 companies to have really.

Thanks guys, really looking forward to get back to this sport.

Last thing, back then Futaba servos where good ones to get, is this still the case? I have a Futaba 3PK from then...

I am not worried about parts availability locally as I can order from overseas if needed, I just want your. Personal views on my questions. Thanks again.

Pedro
Old 10-25-2014, 12:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

Wow, that's a lot of time off.....
Let me just list the good stuff for 2014:
* Cars: Xray nt1, mugen mtx6, serpent 748
* Servos: low profile only&high voltage from KO, protek....
* Radio: Futaba 4pks, Spektrum dx3r pro...
* engine: Murnan modified Picco torque, Abmods engines...
* You will need a good lipo rx pack(thunderpower g8 1350mah), and a glitch capacitor for the RX....
Good luck.....
Old 10-25-2014, 01:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Hmm glitch capacitor? Not pulling my leg?
Indeed, did other things for the last 9 years...scaling down now!

At least some things didn't change.

Anyone else with their views?
Pedro
Old 10-25-2014, 01:58 PM
Tech Regular

Just like before, go to your local track and look what they are driving there,
then choose the car you like and is supported there. Brandwise you can`t go wrong.

Buy a Nova Ison engine to get into it, and some savox 1251 servo`s on a life battery.

Dont go full out on engine and servos, better buy tires and fuel.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Glitch capacitors are good for signal transmission accuracy when RX voltage drops low.... It's just a precaution, not a necessity......
Old 10-25-2014, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rbakker
Just like before, go to your local track and look what they are driving there,
then choose the car you like and is supported there. Brandwise you can`t go wrong.

Buy a Nova Ison engine to get into it, and some savox 1251 servo`s on a life battery.

Dont go full out on engine and servos, better buy tires and fuel.
+1 , get what is in supply and supported at your track.

Chassis, Capricorn, Mugen Mtx6, Shepherd, Serpent all good!!!

Engines: Nova changed the rear bearings in their last two releases but you cant go wrong with a "tuned" version. Picco work too, but check that fuel nipple doesnt cut into fuel line. Our local Capricorn guys are running XRDs and OS are also legendary engines with huge performance.

Electronics: A lot of development, no more crystals, all spread spectrum are all good in my opinion, it's like when CD came out and some claim Vinyls sound better, that was very subjective. Servos come in High Voltage options, as there are differing batteries with differning voltages per cell. Li-ion (3.6v) Li-Po (3.7v) and LiFe (3.3v). So a LiFe battery wont need a HV servo, but you need a charger that can be set to the various voltages. Servos are tricky, digital is switched digital power, and brushless is electronic timed versus the old school analog motors. Digital servos can run on switched power to supply analog motors. Savox served us well, but there were opposing reports from many others, we did however find that owning a servo crimper is a good investment as most our problems were caused by vibration causing wiring faults and connectors need recrimping new connections

Build quality: Recently with the economic push to reduce manufacturing costs, cracks have crept in to the manufacturing. Mugen's MTX5 was a bit of a disaster, recently reports are coming in of Xray's 2014 line up have problems too. They don't take too long to rectify their problems or they end up out of the game, so it's a buyers market, take your pick...

(Psssst: 1/10th Capricorn is my pick, and while expensive to buy, they don't break, short of belt tensioner, love our Novas, We didnt get any faster running a Cheap spectrum or a Top end Futaba, but if smiles make you drive better, then buy what you want! )
Old 10-25-2014, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Glitch capacitors are good for signal transmission accuracy when RX voltage drops low.... It's just a precaution, not a necessity......
Bertrand, I think it has a lot to do with Servo efficiency and track conditions. It's a good investment if you think it's glitching, it's never happened to me in nitro but it makes sense to buffer a little extra juice.

And forgot to mention saving a few coins for a Transponder.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Where you live is really important. I came off a 14 year layoff so I know what you are going through. I have a Serpent Cobra GT and a 748. I went with Serpent due to a ton of support down in South Florida. Don't discount the GT class, it is extremely fun. The class is also regulated so you won't have to worry too much about not buying the most expensive engine. Oh and you can run an entire weekend or 2 on one set of tires.

Serpent Cobra
NovaRossi Ison GT
Sanwa MT4, KO, or Futaba (all good radios)
Old 10-26-2014, 02:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Wow, there are quite a few changes in 10 years!!!

Thanks guys, this is the input o was looking for, it is starting to shed some light in what direction to go.

Is Nitro slowly dying? What is your view what you think the trend has been in the last 10 years?

Pedro
Old 10-26-2014, 03:00 AM
Tech Elite

Wink

Originally Posted by Newbiecrg
Wow, there are quite a few changes in 10 years!!!

Thanks guys, this is the input o was looking for, it is starting to shed some light in what direction to go.

Is Nitro slowly dying? What is your view what you think the trend has been in the last 10 years?

Pedro
A pistonhead is a pistonhead, that wont change. Electric brushless and battery techs have evolved far more than the IC engine, so high performance is no longer only in the realm of the combustion engine. Maybe our future is the performance hybrid like we see in the modern supercar.

In saying that, Electric power has opened up the hobby to many more people, some think it's too hard, others are on a tighter budget, mostly though for those who live in areas with tracks that cant support noise and specially individuals who hate the noise and smell, or perhaps I should say the symphony and perfume of a racing engine!

For me and other dads bringing young sons into the hobby and I've heard this from other dads, including the mechanic and pitman who's rubbing shoulders in pit lane with other dads, keeps a lot of us involved where in electric by the time the son is in mid teens, we're just spectators.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys, I have read a lot about the new kids on the block (for me anyway) Shepherd and Capricorn. Are these two comparable? They are more expensive than a Serpent or Mugen, does that makes them a better quality in terms of finish and parts?

Last question, how do these brands compare in terms of ease of driving out of the box?

I have a new Novarossi Virtus to go on a chassis, just need to find which one suits me better, not that worried about local support on parts.

Many thanks guys, you have been really helpful.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:55 PM
Tech Regular

Shepherd, Serpent, Xray, Mugen, Km, Hotbodies are all comparable.
It`s the driver and build of the car that makes the difference, the basic setup is for all cars a bit understeer that makes a easy car.

It is impossible to say one is better out of the box, its the driver and build of the car.

Buy the one you like.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:04 PM
Tech Regular

But...Be wise, buy a Serpent...!!
Old 10-28-2014, 02:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks.. Eheh i know you are right, I just need the one I like and they are all good I guess...

I had a Serpent in the past, a 1/8 950R and it was a quality kit, no doubt about it even though too much for my driving skills..

I just fancy trying something different, I must say the anodised aluminium parts on Shepherd/Capricorn or XRAY do make the cars look very nice. The Mugen looks bland even though I know it is an excellent car.

My Kyosho RRR was really nice to setup and drive and I really enjoyed it back in the day.

I am inclined to the Shepherd or maybe the Capricorn even though I worry about future parts availability on these new companies, they can just go bust and no more spares... should I worry about that?
Old 10-28-2014, 02:53 PM
Tech Regular

Shepherd or capricorn if i hear you right, both nice cars.
The Shepherd look really nice to work on, the brake system is nice.
Capricorn is the car i drove for three years, it`s a good car. The first pinion and spur wear faster because they are smaller then most.

The Serpent really rotates in the corner, it`s amazing.

Most of the time that somebody says brand x is really fast, they are in love with the brand and most of the time are driving it for a long time. They have all types of car from one brand, all other brands are shit...not really a fair opinion if you ask me.

In the other case people have driven a car for one or two seasons and the chassis is worn out, then they switch to a different brand and it is fantastic.
Offcourse this is just because they drive a NEW kit and not the brand..

In my opinion Serpent is the way to go (Drove Capricorn the last three years and switched this year..), then the Capricorn.

Offcourse i didn`t owned a Shepherd or Mugen...

Also driven the KM one year, it was an adventure..but managed to win some Dutch nationals with it..

Overall, most arguments are purely based on emotions and lack of knowledge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.