Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
What engine you are using on your 1:8 on road? >

What engine you are using on your 1:8 on road?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What engine you are using on your 1:8 on road?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 04:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default What engine you are using on your 1:8 on road?

Need some suggestions on the engines as i want to change my old engine in P8F club.It is rtr vox v1 tech engine not pro. As far as i feel ok for it.I know it is picco production. I see they are now having VOX V2 pro. Or maybe i should also change another car? need some suggestions before i spend money.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well how much do you want to spend? 8th on road is a pretty niche group when it comes to engines. I run the O.S speed XZ-R in mine and I love it. Engines can be had for as little as 300$ all the way up to 7-800$ for some of the pre tuned novarossi ones. Not really answering your question that well I know, but its a money thing it comes down to, great engines across the whole price range.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ho1aw
Need some suggestions on the engines as i want to change my old engine in P8F club.It is rtr vox v1 tech engine not pro. As far as i feel ok for it.I know it is picco production. I see they are now having VOX V2 pro. Or maybe i should also change another car? need some suggestions before i spend money.
i would recommend you to get the Novarossi Ison 7 port Tuned. i have seen that motor run this year and man all i have to say about that motor is Wow! The motor had killer power and excellent run time.
Nothing but great things to say about this motor. Interested in it contact Desoto racing.
I see the street price at our local hobby shops is at 309 bucks which is pretty amazing.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:05 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

We are talking about the Motonica P8F?

Then forget about the suggestions made, because you will be faster with that car if you put in not to much of power.

So first decide if you want to keep running that "pan" car, or if you want a car with full suspension.

If you keep running at club level with your P8F, I would suggest to keep with the 5-ports engine concept you are having now, you can take the one from Sonic, or the PSS from Xceed, they are all bassically the same Picco engine, but you can't beat the price.
Another option, is get yourself a Novarossi Brave, which even has less bottom and mid-end power then the engine you are running now, this might give you even better laptimes then you are having now......
Old 10-10-2014, 02:10 AM
Tech Lord

Another affordable option is the RB Clasico, I think it is the same build as the ISON but cheaper.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by M7H
We are talking about the Motonica P8F?

Then forget about the suggestions made, because you will be faster with that car if you put in not to much of power.

So first decide if you want to keep running that "pan" car, or if you want a car with full suspension.

If you keep running at club level with your P8F, I would suggest to keep with the 5-ports engine concept you are having now, you can take the one from Sonic, or the PSS from Xceed, they are all bassically the same Picco engine, but you can't beat the price.
Another option, is get yourself a Novarossi Brave, which even has less bottom and mid-end power then the engine you are running now, this might give you even better laptimes then you are having now......
Yes, the car is Motonica P8F club.It is a gift . I am not the who race competitions,it is just my hobby.Very interesting, so i would like to know more.
This car is w/o suspension.Yes i still want to keep pan car. as i see if i change to their P81RS3 with VOX V2 PRO will be much cost for me at the moment.Even i know they are professional racing car.
BTW, i also want to ask about how to choose the foam tires. There are many numbers of the tires.any different? and any different between the carbon and white light rim?
Many thanks!
Old 10-11-2014, 01:23 AM
Tech Elite

I have been running a Nova Brave myself, considering many things, it's not far off pace, and it's dirt cheap.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bishop
I have been running a Nova Brave myself, considering many things, it's not far off pace, and it's dirt cheap.
Due to noise emmissions at our local club, the Novarossi Brave is the only engine allowed at club races. Since we use this engine around 80% of the drivers is going faster because of the lower power output. The car is better to control and we al see drivers running smoother and cleaner.

If you are a hobby driver, be smart and buy a affordable engine with a little less power.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:54 PM
Tech Initiate

OS R2101 , still in breakin-in but looks like a bullet
will see
NOVA is great too , was my previous one (35plus21)
Old 10-14-2014, 07:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestions.I would like to stay my vox v1 tech. But how about the foam tires? If i still want to race in club level. Any suggestion on the foam tires? I know there are numbers for different foam. Any difference? any tips to choose them?
Old 10-14-2014, 07:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

This is my new body.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Thanks for the suggestions.I would like to stay my vox v1 tech. But how about the foam tires? If i still want to race in club level. Any suggestion on the foam tires? I know there are numbers for different foam. Any difference? any tips to choose them?
You stated you wanted to race club level, then your best bet is to go to the local track where you will run and see what the 1:8 onroad guys are running shore wise for front and rear. They may be able to pitch in a set of used tires for you to try as with the P8F. Most current brand tires fit all current chassis, not like in the past when wheels where proprietary such as with serpent etc.

Then you can try different shores until you are happy with wear and driving.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
You stated you wanted to race club level, then your best bet is to go to the local track where you will run and see what the 1:8 onroad guys are running shore wise for front and rear. They may be able to pitch in a set of used tires for you to try as with the P8F. Most current brand tires fit all current chassis, not like in the past when wheels where proprietary such as with serpent etc.

Then you can try different shores until you are happy with wear and driving.
Thats really useful information! Thanks.
I will do in that way.
Normally, the number is small the tire is soft? and that means the tire will run out faster?
Old 10-19-2014, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

I will do in that way.
Normally, the number is small the tire is soft? and that means the tire will run out faster?
I think VOX is a Picco based engine. Many engine blocks are manufactured by the same companies.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:56 AM
Tech Elite

I will do in that way.
Smaller number = softer shore ratings, may or may not wear out faster though, mainly because you can strike conditions where the hard shore foam just spins and chews out faster, where the softer grips more and may wear the same or less, not always the case, but sometimes.

Vox, Reds, Sonic, all Picco based.

RB is Nova based.

New XR Cap motors are OS I think, as is Zac motors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.