Wiki Posts
Search

Could a US Nitro Series work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by azeroth
i do believe we have to grow our home tracks first bring the new nitro racer out and strenghten the ranks so to speak the major problem is how?
I have been saying the same thing for a long time. Remember back in the early 2000s when onroad racing (nitro and electric) was growing leaps and bounds?!? Why??? Because in many places around the US, there were club tracks (parking lot, indoor carpet, etc.) that were running and promoting the onroad racing scene. The racing scenes were laid back and the rules were not as strict or strictly enforced. Also, there weren't a ton of "sponsored" guys running the show and many racers were helpful to the new guys because they wanted them to continue to keep coming back for the fun and competition.

Somewhere along the way, this got lost in the shuffle. On-road racing got too expensive for some and way too serious for others at the club level. Many club tracks could not support themselves when attendence fell off (for whatever reasons) and started to shut down (Dallas, TX area at one time had 6 club tracks for onroad, today there are none). Having big races all the time and getting sponsorships became the norm instead of an added bonus. All the while, club racing, which made onroad racing popular, died off in a lot of areas as a result.

Until we get back to what brought us to the dance, grassroots club track racing, it will be hard for onroad to recover to the numbers many of us were use to seeing. Many will find ways to get around the higher costs of racing, but you can't get around not having many places to race near you. For the ones that can travel, great, but for the ones that can't travel or r/c racing isn't as serious, if you have no place for them to run regularly, they will move on and find something else to occupy their time.

Last edited by JLock; 12-03-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Perfectly said , bro!!!
Old 12-03-2014, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks nitro!!!

I said what I said in my previous post because I know of one area, outside of California, that is doing something right. That is the onroad club track racing scene in Austin, TX. The club racing is sponsored by the local Hobby Towns (one in north Austin and one in South Austin). They alternate racing weekends between the two and even alternate days (Sat/Sun) for those that can race on one of those days but not the other. Their track layouts are easy for the new racers' skill set but give just enough for the more skilled racers. They listen to the racers and have set up classes and rules to accomodate those that participate regularly. They try new classes if enough interest is there and if the new class is successful, great, but if it isn't, they move on with what they have established. They race weekly (weather/situation permitting) and always have more than 20 racers running any given race day. There are a few sponsored guys in the area but they go with the flow. Most of their club participants don't travel to a ton of big races and are glad that they have places locally to race their cars.

With all that said, they have a proven formula that is working. So, if the racers of Austin, TX prove that it can be done, I know it can be done in other areas, so long as you don't lose sight of what you are really trying to accomplish.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We have a good local following for indoor carpet in the winters, but outdoor has suffered. We wouldn't have nitro on-road if it weren't for the GT8 class. This class has held us up in nitro for several years now. We don't have a track to handle 8th pan, and 10th nitro has all but died here due to the high cost and maintenance of the class. Only a few locals travel for races for cost reasons and we are working hard to do what we can to help it grow.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by autisticmoose8
good idea.. but i dont think it will work
Why not?
Old 12-19-2014, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

too much to read here.

Can someone send me a PM to let me know when the first race will be?
Old 12-28-2014, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 12-28-2014, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Stop debating it, put together a schedule and let's race.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Keep this going Pooh good idea

Originally Posted by Pooh2
I was thinking the same thing. We were gaining some traction then I think other issues came up. I'm still sure this can and will work. It's not something hard to accomplish.
Pooh:
First I'd like to say that an ANS is a great idea that I would support. Thanks Pooh for bringing it to the forefront of conversation. I may not be able to make it to every ANS race but neither do the Europeans in the ENS. They sometimes have to skip some races for whatever reason. The point is that the ENS is a fun series with its own rules and lots of experienced and "regular-Joe" racers love it no matter where they finish in the end. We have to learn from the ENS. They definitely have on-road racing together in Europe so we American can learn from them in this regard. I only went to one ENS race in Fiorano, Italy in October and the experience was incredible for me as an American-born racer. The whole spirit of the ENS was about high quality racing regardless of your level. Everyone brought their A Game and had allot of fun with it.

I can see why some may say that its easier to utilize the existing big races to get this ANS underway. The problem lies in that the newly formed future ANS administration would need to run these events under their own rules with hand-out tires and other easy-to-follow rules. This is one of the reasons the ENS was so successful around Europe. They had their own rules! In this aspect I agree that if this could work, the ANS here in America must keep ROAR out of this completely. The primary purpose is to bring people together from all over to have fun with simple rules. I don't think that some of the tracks mentioned in earlier threads would appreciate any new ANS rule infiltration and removing their beloved ROAR from the picture.

In conclusion, I can understand why some may suggest to use the existing races to get this ANS off the ground, but I don't see how it could work knowing some of the track/race owners mentioned. I can only speak for Port Jervis, I'm sure we could incorporate an ANS race into the NYS Championship race or some other manufacturer sponsored race no problem.

Either way, I'm in.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Paulie Bee
Pooh:
First I'd like to say that an ANS is a great idea that I would support. Thanks Pooh for bringing it to the forefront of conversation. I may not be able to make it to every ANS race but neither do the Europeans in the ENS. They sometimes have to skip some races for whatever reason. The point is that the ENS is a fun series with its own rules and lots of experienced and "regular-Joe" racers love it no matter where they finish in the end. We have to learn from the ENS. They definitely have on-road racing together in Europe so we American can learn from them in this regard. I only went to one ENS race in Fiorano, Italy in October and the experience was incredible for me as an American-born racer. The whole spirit of the ENS was about high quality racing regardless of your level. Everyone brought their A Game and had allot of fun with it.

I can see why some may say that its easier to utilize the existing big races to get this ANS underway. The problem lies in that the newly formed future ANS administration would need to run these events under their own rules with hand-out tires and other easy-to-follow rules. This is one of the reasons the ENS was so successful around Europe. They had their own rules! In this aspect I agree that if this could work, the ANS here in America must keep ROAR out of this completely. The primary purpose is to bring people together from all over to have fun with simple rules. I don't think that some of the tracks mentioned in earlier threads would appreciate any new ANS rule infiltration and removing their beloved ROAR from the picture.

In conclusion, I can understand why some may suggest to use the existing races to get this ANS off the ground, but I don't see how it could work knowing some of the track/race owners mentioned. I can only speak for Port Jervis, I'm sure we could incorporate an ANS race into the NYS Championship race or some other manufacturer sponsored race no problem.

Either way, I'm in.
So when are we going sit to a table and get this thing started for 2015 guys?
Old 01-19-2015, 12:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank You Paulie Bee Great post you understand what it would take to have a true ANS.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

Bump
Old 04-21-2015, 05:27 AM
Tech Elite

BUMP!!! I DIDN'T FORGET!!!lol
Old 04-21-2015, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pooh2
BUMP!!! I DIDN'T FORGET!!!lol
You have a PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Hope this ANS Series kicks off, I'm totally into this idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.